close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I've created a (little) monster

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by stolenphot0, Apr 3, 2012.

1. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

So I was trying to watch that EDC video when my wife calls me at work. Seems my youngest daughter got into a little trouble at school for "making a poor play decision".

At recess her and 3-4 other girls decided to play "vampires". Well my genius of a 7 year old, that has been having trouble making common sense decisions every now and then blurts out "You can't become a vampire unless you're bitten." So not knowing who started the biting (I'll find out when I get home tonight) they commence to bite each other or themselves on the arm. My daughter apparently has a bite mark.

Well the teacher sees this and after recess takes them down to the principal's office to discuss the "proper" way to play during recess.

While my wife is telling me this story I just burst out laughing so hard I can't breathe. All I can think of is "that darn Scooby-Doo teaching her bad stuff" because she doesn't watch anything that disturbing with me. Guess I have to get the laughs out of me before she gets home.

Part of me chalks it up to kids being kids and making dumb choices, and the other part of me just wants to whack her in the back of the head and call her a dumb butt.

Anyone else with funny kid stories?

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

30 years ago, it would have just been kids being kids.

3. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Well you can be fairly sure they've all had the hep b vaccine. :supergrin:

4. Silent_Runner

Silent_Runner Can you hear me

That was tame in comparison to things done in my schoolyard.:rofl:

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

This is true

All I remember of my recess at school (I went to a private Catholic school) was it was structured. You had to be playing something at one of the stations - kickball, dodgeball, hopscotch, ect. You couldn't just be hanging out.

6. Mrs. VR

Honestly, if it were me, I'd discuss the not biting rule and let it go. At least they were using their imagination.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

She'll get my stern voice and reminded of the "hands to yourself" rule and will probably lose entertainment privileges for the evening. But I have to say, she is a creative little bugger and go for hours in her own little Polly Pocket world.

8. Naelbis

Naelbis

Lol that is hilarious, kids really do some amazingly off the wall things...I predict interesting times for me when my twins hit school.

9. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

7 years old? "play vampires"?

I would question the quality and whether appropriate the TV or movies to which your daughter is exposed.

10. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

What, no count chocula or the sesame street vampire in your house when you were a kid? What about Bunnicula?

11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

My kids are on a tight leash when it comes to what they can watch. They don't watch anything on Nickelodeon, as its mostly garbage IMO. They watch Disney & Disney XD, and even then there are shows they cannot watch. Plus PBS & PBS Kids. While their friends may get to watch Twilight, mine do not. They will walk out of a room if my nephews are watching Spongebob.

When I was their age I was watching Commando, Delta Force, Rambo, and a lot of other things that when I look back on it I wonder just what in the heck my dad was thinking letting me see "R" movies when I was 7-10.

Honestly, there isn't a kids cartoon on now that hasn't touched on vampires/werewolves/mummies in some episode. Ever watch Scooby Doo as a kid?

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Very sensible IMO.

13. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

havent you heard? vampires are mainstream now, like iphones and such. they are everywhere, and they make vampire movies for young girls.

also, kinda funny the OP has a vampire for his avatar. :rofl:

14. Mrs. VR

Good grief, you can't walk into a store/mall, etc without bumping into vampire stuff. That's just silly to say she isn't on a "tight enough leash".

15. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

It's not a vampire, its a "singer" from a South African band. :tongue out: But again its not something they get to see or listen to.

I screen a lot of what they get to watch or listen to first, and it can be quite painful at times. :rofl:

16. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

When I was 5 or 6 a bunch of the kids in the neighborhood would play "Frankenstein." Each kid would take a turn being Frank. One of our friends was (in the old vernacular) retarded. We didn't know it at the time, he was just one of our friends. One time when it was his turn to be Frank, some lady on the street chastised us for making fun of him. We didn't know what was up with this lady. We found out later. Funny, his mom was just happy he had friends. He was a good kid.

That's the way it used to be. Today, every slightest thing that deviates from what some do-gooder thinks should be the norm, is a crisis.

Tell the school to buzz off.

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

:rofl: :rofl: :tongueout: :rofl: :rofl:

18. rilkil23

rilkil23

My 11 year old used his finger as the barrel and pulled the hammer back, his thumb, pointed the "hand gun" at his classmate and pulled the trigger. The school called in no time at all and sent him home. My son said he knew he shouldn't have done it and I asked him what would he have done if he could go back, his answer was he would have used his imaginary long bow and loaded up and imaginary hunting arrow and pulled back on the imaginary string and let one go. What do you say to that? My oldest got suspended for punching a kid who was pinching him in the back while they were in the lunch line. My youngest argued that he shouldn't be in trouble since he didn't touch the kid he was having words with. Interesting idea but in the end you can't act/simulate a violent act in school. Live and learn but I explained to my son that he needs to leave his imaginary weapons at home and realize that what he did isn't acceptable behavior no matter what age you are. Glad I didn't let him buy the imaginary rocket launcher he was begging me for. Geez.

19. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

What's wrong with vampires for kids?

20. DIXIE DUCK

DIXIE DUCK

I remember having some issues understanding the whole "HANDS TO YOURSELF" thing because it really doesn't make sense. You tell the kids they aren't allowed to touch each other at all but they are allowed to play tag and hug or push each other on a swing. For kids these sorts of inconsistencies can be very confusing.

I wouldn't punish her. She didn't intentionally do anything wrong, she just didn't understand that biting wasn't appropriate play behavior. I would just try to explain it to her.

Ya know she is right, you do have to be bitten to become a vampire.