I've been wanting a side-by-side 12 gauge...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Stewy31C, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Stewy31C

Stewy31C ImW/Stupid->

Been checking out this Stoeger double defense 12 gauge. Now I am a sucker for ported barrels and picatinny rails. I understand that makes me a mall ninja :tongueout:

Reflex sight on the ole double-barrel...
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php
    Or the plain jane version.
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_guns.php

Or the Condor Outback which I'm digging the most.
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_condor_outback.php

Anyone own one of these Stoeger brand shotguns and can give me any feed back?

Or can anyone point me to a similarly priced or cheaper double-barrel shotgun in the 20inch barrel range other then stoeger?

2. mixflip

mixflip

I think the double defense is hideous personally but hey this is America. Its all about enjoying our freedoms and I support you. I have always wanted a side by side coach gun too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

3. Stewy31C

Stewy31C ImW/Stupid->

Why hideous and which one?

Not nit-picking just curious. I've only fired two side-by-sides and loved it. Never a Stoeger though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. blueiron

blueiron

I would not want a SxS with an optic mounted on it.

The barrels are too thin to allow a steel mounting point and the metal between barrels on a double gun is a form of solder, in order to hold the barrels together. It is too soft to allow for a decent mounting point and after a number of stout rounds or a larger number of lesser rounds, I would expect the optic to shear off due to the G-forces imposed during recoil. Rough handling with do the same thing.

If the solder is damaged, the whole barrel assembly will likely have to go back to the factory for repairof the solder joint, regulation of the barrels, and complete refinishing. This is not inexpensive work, even on a cheap gun.

5. simplyrob

simplyrob

ive been eyeing up the stoegers lately too. the dd, imo, is wicked cool. now, ive never fired a double barrel, would be my first. at the last gun show i went to, i was enthralled by a beautiful stoeger with a chrome barrel and very nice wood body. looked amazing. the guy only wanted like $300 flat for it too. too bad i was using VISA on that trip. got cash saved for my next gun show (april 24) and ill be on the lookout for a stoeger to call my own. btw, the double defense stoegers can be bought daily on gb for $389 range.

6. mixflip

mixflip

The double defense with the picatinny rail on top and bottom. Yeah its probably functional but it just doesnt look natural. Obviously its just my opinion which should be worth just about nothing lol.

I love the old school SxS just not the black tactical ones.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Why would anybody buy a doble-barrelled shotgun for other than just loving a traditional wild-west style gun? With a rail, reflex sight, tactical ninja crap, it just becomes possibly the ultimate "I wannabe a ninja and know nothing about guns" gun. You may as well buy a Colt SAA with laser grips.

8. Girevik61

Girevik61

I agree. :rofl:

9. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

why have I seen a picture of Clint Smith in the gun rags with a flashlight taped to a double barrel shotgun? Maybe some people just want to be like Clint Smith.... maybe someone just wants their love of side by side shotguns and the ability to make it tactical and more efficient as a defense weapon (albeit your limited to two shots).

Why? Why not. If Stoeger makes it, and people buy it, then it sounds like they hit a home run. If it doesn't sell, then... guess they will stick to the coach guns for the cowboys.

10. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I have an old A. H. Fox Sterlingworth that I love. It's been killing ducks for three generations of my family.

11. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Finally someone answered my questions on their website, it has extractors instead of ejectors :sad:

12. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

13. Tactical black

Tactical black

Go get which ever one you like best but I personally like the ones that have a hammer with a wood stock I think spartan and CZ make them that way
    http://cz-usa.com/products/view/hammer-coach-ss-case-hardened/

[​IMG]

14. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

I have a Double Defense. Great Piece. Sits next to my bed at night. I dropped the recoil pad and added an aluminum butt plate, as well as a shell holder and weapon light. For it's intended purpose I see no need for an optic.

I would not want ejectors on a defensive double barrel. If you only need to replenish one fired round, and open the action, both rounds(fired & live) will end up on the floor. Or perhaps I just think outside the box.
    Zero cyclic manipulation required to get off a second round. Just pull the trigger again and the second round is heading downrange. It's a very simplistic design with few parts that could fail also. FWIW-The DD's trigger feel/pull VERY closely resembles that of a Glock. Just a reference.

[​IMG]

15. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

The ONLY use I can see is if you live in a place that won't allow a repeating shotgun and you want to mount a light, laser or optics. Different nations, different laws.

16. Shortimer

Shortimer

If you want to go back to old school check out the Pioneer Shotgun. They are a little pricey but worth the money at least to me. {Pioneer Arms Corp}. Great little coach gun with the Greener action & exposed hammers. The fit & finish are outstanding & the checkering is great to. Mine sits beside my bed & the Mossberg 500 is in my safe. Yea I know I traded 5 shots for two but that's ok because my .45 is there to. If you want a true weapon of mass destruction check it out.

17. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Strangely, I have 2 new defensive 870's inside my safe right now, along with a Browning pump. I still prefer the SxS next to my bed.

An earlier pic of my 870 Desert Recon and Double Defense together, before the stock work, with Mr Yuck(my hero!) stickers applied-
    [​IMG]

18. Stewy31C

Stewy31C ImW/Stupid->

Tell us how you really feel. :tongueout:

I hear ya. I can't figure out myself which one I want. I'm not a mall ninja per say :whistling: But I like the idea of a modernized SxS.

Thanks for the opinion Bren.

19. Stewy31C

Stewy31C ImW/Stupid->

Is there any pro's to having the hammers? Or just a preference?

Please bare with me. :cool: This will be my first venture into owning a SxS.

20. Stewy31C

Stewy31C ImW/Stupid->

It is a sharp looking SxS. I guess I'm just a sucker for modern guns.

Reliability is one of the reasons I want a simple breached loaded shotgun. Not much to go wrong.

How are the chokes with the double defense?