close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's Time to bust some dogs, REDNECK style!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by nyredneck, Aug 25, 2003.

1. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

O.K. , here's the skinny, My Mom-in-Law had (operative word here) a pet goose , name of Mr. Wonkers. She had the aforementioned Mr.Wonkers for nigh on eight years, that is, until last week.
    Seems that a pack of Yoddles moved into the area and Mr. Wonkers came up MIA. I was up to the In-laws (who incidentelly live in the boondocks) last night. They have a logging trail out behind thier house, so I decided to take my pup for a walk. That's when I made the grim discovery. Feathers. Feathers everywhere. Feathers that matched the missing Mr. Wonkers. Not Good. The fate of poor Mr. Wonkers has been resolved.
    It's time to bust some dogs, REDNECK style! Now I figure this is a fairly large pack, I heard them when I was on my walk, sounded like at least 6, maybe more.
    I dusted of the Johnny Stewart game caller.
    I've purchased some number 4's, 12 gauge, 3 1/2 inch Magnums.
    I've oiled down the trusty Browning BPS.
    Now I must wait, DAMNIT!
    Yotes don't open up for another month here! GRRRRRRR! They must die for thier transgression! Mr. Wonkers must be AVENGED! I am the Man to do it!
    In the meantime, myself, Mrs. Redneck, and her Brother and his Girlfriend are buying Mom-in-Law 2 little gosslings, to be kept in a pen for now. I will keep you posted, and will hopefully have some photos to post!;f

LONG LIVE THE MEMORY OF MR. WONKERS!!

2. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Is everyone in your party going to use shotguns? What type? gauge?

Anyone using rifles? I am partial to the .32-20 and .25-20 lever rifles for this kind of work. Of course a good .22 rifle would be good too.

It would be good to get the play by play when its done.

3. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I will be using a Browning BPS 3 1/2" mag. 30 inch barrel with #4's
    the wife will be using a Remington 870 2 3/4" mag. also #4's
    I was actually thinking of using my .22 mag, but due to the terrain (brushy) and the ammount of dogs I expect to come in I decided on the scatter gun. Maybe for some solo late night hunts I'll use the .22 mag, not quite sure yet. I will keep you posted though!;f

4. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

I went to school with you. I know that they taught you how paragraphs work.;g ;f

5. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

I have a ton of 3 1/2" magnum steel bb shot you can use if you want it.

6. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

OH NO!! SYNTAX NAZI!!;f

7. Menehune

Menehune

Bust 'em up!

I have come across a small pack a couple of times. Funny thing is, you hit one, the others will turn on it. Easy to make short work of them then.

Wild dogs are the ones that bother me more than Coyotes. They band together and get real mean. I saw some that had a small black bear cub treed. Mama bear was no where to be seen. Bu they had tha cub pinned, and would not stop barking. So they ended up being dispatched of.

Any chance Mr. Wonkers fell to wild dogs, vs. Coyotes?

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Did you just cuss?

It's bad enough we have to use steel for waterfowl by law, but to use it we're it isn't needed should also be against the law!

Here in Michigan, coyotes can be hunted all year long on private property when they’re being a menace… we also have NO magazine capacity limits when it comes to varmint hunting… I use my 7.62x39 AK-47 variant loaded with 30+1 rounds. (I always bring a few more 30 rounders along just in case.) I can tell you this works very, very well on dogs. ;)

AR-15’s are starting to get REAL popular here for varmint hunting, especially for dog hunting. Several dogs at once often come into distress calls.

Sorry to be the one that mentions this one nyredneck, but maybe a goose call would serve you well for getting those dogs to come in? After all, we already know they apparently like their taste……. Sorry about that one, couldn’t resist! :)

9. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

Well when I say I have a ton of it I mean I have 20 plus boxes of it. WalMart had them for $2.00 a box and I went nuts. Big mistake. You can't use the loads for anything. They are too big for duck and goose. Also they suck for plinking.

I know the area that he would be hunting and for the most part it will be dense woods and swamp. Most shots would be under 30 yards and perfect for this shot. I would let him take the shells for free.

10. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I was just giving you a hard time NYGunman...

However, I use BB for (large) ducks & geese... especially geese! What loads do you use for geese if not BB? I have to ask because BB (or bigger) is the norm for the big Canadian geese in my parts.

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Wait a minute... $2.00 a box for 3-1/2" steel BB shot? Dude, I can't reload target 2-3/4" lead shot shells for that price... & that's with hulls that cost me nothing! What manufacture of shells are those BB's & are they 25 round boxes? Seriously, I have money!

12. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oh man! I felt kinda bad about Mr. Wonkers being torn apart by coyotes, but that is FUNNY! I just won't tell my wife or Mom-in-Law, somehow I think they'd fail to see the humor!;f

13. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Well I won't discount anything, but... I found several coyote scat piles around where the feathers were, so if I had to guess....
    Either way, I'M BUSTIN' DOGS!!!! ;f ;f

14. vafish

vafish

Actually, while it's funny, I think it's a good idea. The dogs have developed a taste for Goose, they know where they found one before. I'd pick up a goose call and give a few honks on it.

15. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

No need to pick one up, I already own several! HOWONK! HOWONK!;f

16. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Here in Wisconsin, there is no closed season on coyotes, private or public land (except during gun deer season in the north. Too many city slickers were blasting timber wolves, thinking they were "big" yotes). I use an AR15 with a red-dot sight and a 30 round mag... it's definately the weapon of choice in my area. Last yote I shot was running full-out chasing a fawn, at about 70 yds, and I got him with my 7th or 8th shot... finally figured out the proper lead. :(

17. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

I wished I was in your neck of the woods, this would be a fun workout for my repro 1860 Colt .44 cap-n-ball revolvers.