It's time for the 2005 GlockTalk Postal League!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gary W Trott, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Summer provides a lot of opportunity to do things out of doors and what better thing is there to do than enjoy some low key competition with your fellow GlockTalkers? We had a lot of fun last year and some changes have been made in order to make the league available to more GlockTalkers. The 2005 league will be open to those using centerfire handguns and rifles in addition to the rimfires which we used last year. We're also adding different stages of competition from open high score wins, to a class system where you'll be placed with other shooters at your ability level. That's how most shooting sports are organized and there's no reason why we shouldn't be. There will also be two or more forms of team competition if participation warrants it, one of these will allow you to pick your own team and competed head to head for the bragging rights on GlockTalk.

Specifics are still working out but I've posted the basic rules below so that you can get an idea of what will be needed and also give you time to get some targets by the time the league begins on May 1. Over the next few weeks I'll fill you in on everything we'll have going on and have posted a cut & paste entry form after the rules in the next post. The targets I've selected can be found at, or ordered by, your local sporting goods or gun store. Hoppes makes all of them and they are also available online at http://www.pistoleer.com and other places. Feel free to join either the Rifle Event, Handgun Event, or both if you've got plenty of time to shoot. :) 100 targets will be more than enough and shouldn't cost more than a couple of sawbucks. That's it for now but if you have any questions please feel free to either email me postal_league@yahoo.com or ask here and I'll do my best to answer them as quickly as possible. In the meantime please read the outline of the league rules in the post below this one. Stay safe, Gary

PS - The league costs nothing to join and is not being run by Eric or the GlockTalk staff so please don't direct your questions to them as they've got enough to do already around here. :)

2. Gary W Trott

The eight week league begins May 1, 2005 and you will have two weeks to report the scores for each of the eight league weeks. Please try to report the first week or two on schedule though so plans can be made.

SCORE REPORTING FORM
    You may use this form for entering your first week's scores, after that I'll send an email form for you to use. Good luck

For the scores they should be entered in the appropirate space followed by the number of "X"s. For example: Slow Fire - 95 - 3x So copy the text below and paste it into an email, then add your score to each category, and email it to: Postal_League@yahoo.com (You may enter both the Handgun and Rifle divisions if you want, or just one. Please let me know of you have any questions. Copy the following:

Week#

HANDGUN
    Slow Fire -
    Timed Fire -
    Rapid Fire -
    Total Score -

RIFLE
    Prone -
    Sitting/Kneeling -
    Standing -
    Total Score -

<size=4><color=red>2005 GLOCK TALK POSTAL LEAGUE RULES</color></size>

I. Handgun Event
    &nbsp;&nbsp; A. Handgun may be rimfire or centerfire, semiauto or revolver
    &nbsp;&nbsp; B. Distance from target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Rimfire may be shot from either 50 feet or 25 yards
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Center fire should be shot from 25 yards but may be shot from 50 feet
    &nbsp;&nbsp; C. Recommended targets
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. 50 feet - NRA B-3 Timed and Rapid Fire Pistol target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. 25 yards - NRA B-8 Timed and Rapid Fire Pistol target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Note: buying target centers for the B-8 will save you some money
    &nbsp;&nbsp; D. Courses of fire
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Slow Fire - 10 shots in 10 minutes
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Timed Fire
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; a. 2 strings of five shots each
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; b. 20 seconds allowed per string
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Rapid Fire
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; a. 2 strings of five shots each
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; b. 10 seconds allowed per string
    &nbsp;&nbsp; E. Timer is not required so times may be estimated
    &nbsp;&nbsp; F. Obey the rules of the range if it allows only so many shots in a set time period
    &nbsp;&nbsp; G. Shooters may use either one or two handed grip
    &nbsp;&nbsp; H. Shooters may use optical or iron sights
    &nbsp;&nbsp; I. Shooters should try to use the same equipment throughout the league
    &nbsp;&nbsp; J. Shooters should try to fire from the same distance throughout the league

II. Rifle Event
    &nbsp;&nbsp; A. Rifles may be rimfire or center fire
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Shooters may use any equipment such as optical sights, slings, aperture sights
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Shooters should try to use the same equipment throughout the league to insure fairness
    &nbsp;&nbsp; B. Distance from the target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Rimfire may be fired from 50ft., 25 yds., 50 yds, or 100 yds.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Center fire should be shot from 100 yds. but may be shot from 50 yds.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Shooters should try and shoot from the same distance throughout the league
    &nbsp;&nbsp; C. Recommended targets
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. 50 foot - NRA TQ-1/1, TQ-1/5, A-1, or A-17 50 Foot Small Bore Rifle target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Note: the multi bull’s eye targets are recommended or use more than one single bull target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. 25 yard (75 foot) - NRA A-7/5, TQ-2 (A-6) 75 Foot Small Bore Rifle target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Note: once again the multi bull’s eye targets will make scoring easier and more accurate
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. 50 yard - NRA TQ-3/1 (A-9), TQ-3/2 (A-10 or 11), TQ-3/5 (A-12) 50 yard Small Bore Rifle Target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Note: depending upon your skill using more than one bull per course of fire might be good
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. 100 yard - NRA TQ-4 (A-14 or A-15) 100 yard Small Bore Rifle Target
    &nbsp;&nbsp; D. Postitions to be fired
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Prone - 10 shots in ten minutes
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Sitting - 10 shots in ten minutes
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Standing - 10 shots in ten minutes
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. If a shooter is unable to shoot in sitting, he/she may use kneeling or standing
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5. At least one bull’s eye will be used for each position
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6. A timer is not required so times may be estimated

III. Scoring of events
    &nbsp;&nbsp; A. Tallying the score on each target
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. holes touching a line will be scored at the higher value
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; a. determining whether a shot is touching a line may be done in two ways
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1) by using an official target scoring plug
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2) by lightly inserting the bullet of an unfired cartridge into the hole
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Targets should be marked with the following information
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; a. Week number of the league
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; b. postition/course: slow,timed,or rapid for handguns - prone,sitting,or standing for rifles
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; c. the total score should be written on the target and circled
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; d. the number of tens should be noted as “X”s next to the total score. ie: 1X, 2X, etc...
    &nbsp;&nbsp; B. Reporting of scores
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Scores should be sent by email to an address to be announced
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. A cut and paste form for reporting of scores will be provided on GlockTalk.
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Scores must be sent in by the end of the second week after the week being fired
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Note: shooting will cease on Sat. June 25, 2005 the last day of the league
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Note: all scores for weeks 7 & 8 must be submitted by Saturday July 2, 2005
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. There may be spot checks of targets by an appointed referee

IV. Schedule for league
    &nbsp;&nbsp; A. The league will run for eight weeks from Sunday May1, 2005 to Saturday 25, 2005
    &nbsp;&nbsp; B. Weeks of the league will begin on Sunday and end on the following Saturday
    &nbsp;&nbsp; C. Results and standings will be updated weekly on GlockTalk & possibly another webpage

V. Individual & Team Competition
    &nbsp;&nbsp; A. Individual will include open competition and classed competition based on ability
    &nbsp;&nbsp; B. Teams may be set up based on the number of entries in the league
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. the format for teams will be announced before the start of the league
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. one team event will be chosen by matching people to create a handicap system
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. one team event will be chosen by groups of shooters and will be an open competion
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. other team events may be formed at the discretion of the league organizer

ENTRY FORM

Please just copy the form below and paste it along with your answers in an email to postal_league@yahoo.com Thank you!

ENTRY FORM
    Glock Talk Name:
    email address:
    Name (just your first name if you like):
    Do you plan to participate in the Handgun, Rifle, or both Events?:

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Stickied! Have fun, folks!

4. Gary W Trott

Thank you for doing this for us again.

5. Gary W Trott

I've posted the entry form beneath the rules in the second post of this thread. That's all that is needed for now so that I will be able to contact you and also to make plans based on how many entries we get. Please send yours in as soon as possible so that these plans for the various categories can be made. Thank you and I'll be looking forward to hearing from you. Gary

I've also posted the email address to use for the league and it's postal_league@yahoo.com

6. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

Just some newb questions as I've never participated in anything like this before...

1. Basic procedure... We set up and shoot our own targets, record the scores, and email them in? Is that correct?

2. Scoring... rules said that total number of bullseyes should be writting with score (1X, 2X, etc.). So if I hit three 9's, an 8, and two 10's, it should read "43+2X or "63, 2X"

Again I'm new to this scoring stuff, so bear with me.

Thanks.

7. Gary W Trott

Dear AJE,

Welcome! You've pretty much got it down except for an error I made. That is some targets, like the 25 yard pistol target, have a ring with an "X" marked in it. With one of these targets you would only count an "X" if the bullet hit that ring. This "X" ring is also scored as 10 when you add up your score. Thank you for your interest and I hope you'll be deciding to shoot. Gary

"We're all learning...some of us just started a little sooner than others." George Gurick

8. VAshooter

VAshooter CLM

AJE,
    You fired 6 shots which would give you a possible score of 60. You dropped 5 points (3X9's and one 8) so your score would be 55-2x if both 10's were X's.

9. Gary W Trott

Thank you for the help VAshooter, you explained it much much better than I could have. Gary

10. Gary W Trott

I've added a copy and paste form for reporting scores by email to the top of the league rules post (the second one) so that it will be very easy to join and get started. Remember that you will have two weeks to complete each week of the league, but please try to get Weeks #1&2 submitted as soon as possible so things can be organized. Thank you and good luck! Gary

11. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Gary,

I haven't heard from you for awhile. I guess the Postal contest is over? I hope you got my scores and that I sent them the right way. I wish more people would have entered. Let me know what's going on.;a ;a ;a

12. losangeles

losangeles

I'm new here and wondering about this league. Sounds like a great thing to do. When's the next one? Is there a site somewhere to keep track of the goings-on?

13. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Seems to be a spring-summer-early fall thing; keep an eye on this forum, and if another league starts-up, info will be posted here.

Gary, as the league seems to be about done for this year, I'm going to un-stick this thread and let it sink or swim based on normal responses. Let me know if this is a problem.