close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's Official - Just Stippled My Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Self_Regulated, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Self_Regulated

Self_Regulated

Yes Folks. It's true and it's official. I just took the plunge.

Just a little backstory. I have always loved Glocks. Mostly because of it's rugged, versatile, reliable platform. I really have no bias towards metal vs polymer handguns. I also have no bias towards caliber.

I decided last year that when I was going to purchase a pistol, I promised myself that aesthetics would not be a decision factor when acquiring my first pistol. Before making my decision, I did fire a few firearms at Target Sports here in Ontario. This ranged from a Springfield 1911, Glock 17, Glock 21 SF, and Sig Sauer P229.

After much deliberation, I decided on a Glock 23. I figure if I wanted to shoot 9mm also, I could just swap out the barrel. The best of both worlds I would say. Can't do that with a 1911. :D

The only thing that bothered me about the Glock series, was the hump on the backstrap. I always felt that I wasn't holding the entire pistol because the hump would prevent the palm of my hand from firmly holding the grip. I was always have to change my hand position to lock the slide, release the slide or depress the magazine release. It doesn't help that I have the hands of a four year old. :D

I was considering purchasing a Glock 23 from the United States, sending it to Bowie Tacital for a grip reduction and stipple job, and having imported to Canada. This would have cost me in excess of $1500 at the end of the day. This just wasn't practical to me. I figured when I mustered up enough courage, I could just do it myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we are! I did it!!! Here is what I did.

Step 1 - Grip Reduction

For those that don't know, filling the backstrap with acryglass, waiting for it to harden and sand is not the only way to do it! I thought it was, but it turns out there is an easier and less expensive way. It's called the Heating Method, which was coined by it's founder, "Bowtie" on Glocktalk.com.

You simply hold the Glock with he backstrap facing down and heat it with a consistantly burning candle leaving 2 to 3 inches in between. You move your hand in a circular motion providing even heat to the backstrap. Once you think, you have softened the backstrap enough, you place it on a hard surface and roll it back and forth using nearly all of your force (or at least all of mine :D.) If you do not get the desired results the first time, just repeat the process.

Do not melt the backstrap and you will cause your backstrap to split when rolling. You do not want this, believe me. I learned the hard way on my Airsoft Glock 23.

Step 2 - Magazine Well Cutout

This was surprisingly easy despite all the stress I put myself through planning it out. I simply traced a half circle of the cutting wheel that came with my Dremel kit. I found it to be the perfect size. My natural instinct was to centre the hole on the grip, but inserting the magazine in the well, quickly corrected my assumptions. You want to centre the hole with the center of the magazine when inserted. You can see in the pictures.

Step 3 - Sand the Frame Down

I decided that creating a slightly slimmer profile on the Glock wouldn't be a bad idea. I always found them to be slighly bulky and square. Some like to refer to it as a "2x4". Sometimes I tend to agree. Not anymore!

I took a Dremel with the round sanding drum that came with it and went over the entire grip until the side panels, thumb bumps, and factory stippling was removed from front to back. I found that the finger grooves had to be ground down slightly because removing the stippling removed material causing them to protrude farther than stock. I decided to keep them because I liked the control they provided and they sure look good to boot.

Step 4 - Round Trigger Guard

I figured since I was going all out, I would round the trigger guard too. This will prevent obstruction from snagging on the pointyness of the original shape. Nothing much to it. Just use the sanding drum on the Dremel and round it slowly. Not hard to do. Just don't take too much off because you can't go back. :D

Step 5 - Stippling!

I tested my stippling on many different items because I jumped into the real deal. I had a Airsoft Glock 23 that I completely customized before attempting it on mine. I also stippled my AR15 Magazines, Dust covers, and Glock Magazine Holders. I tried everything from lines, dots, tear drops etc. I found lines to be the most time efficient, but wasn't quite as grippy as the dot method. I also found that fine dots really made the polymer stand out. Somehow it creates a darker shadow allowing you to identify clearly what is stippled and what is not. I decided on the fine dot pattern.

In order to get a complete uniform look, you cannot stipple the dots in a row or in any sort of row. I started right in the middle of the frame. I dot one small area at a time. I take an area and put little dots everywhere at random leaving spaces between them here and there. I repeat, random is better. Then just fill in the spaces. I looks so much more professional than some other stipple jobs I have seen on the internet, when they line the dots up in a row to fill spaces. It doesn't look good.

When I initially filled about half of one side of the frame on my Glock, it didn't feel super rough compared to my airsoft Glock. My Airsoft Glock definitely had an aggresive texture and was used to that. I decided to continue on. The more I stippled the more it felt right on my hand. after I finished I was surprisingly happy and how perfect the texture is. I didnt even need to go over it with a scotchbrite pad to smooth out the surface. It was "out of the box" perfect. :D

The Bad News...

Somehow, I may have changed the dimensions of the magazine well. My Glock magazines no longer drop freely and the magazine sometimes causes the magazine release button to get stuck after depressing it. I am sure this problem can be resolved fairly easily, but I would rather have a Glocksmith look at this before I tinker with it anymore. It does have a Ghost Lo-Pro Magazine Release on it. My Glock 23 mags insert perfectly normal, but my brothers Glock 22 Gen 4 mags are rough and have to use more force than usual on the first half of the insertion.

Overall I am happy with the results, but with the mags not dropping freely, I am a little dissapointed in myself.

Anyways, on the the pictures. These were actually taken with my IPhone 3gs. I am quite surprised with how they turned out. Can't complain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers guys!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

I cannot see the pics very well as they are kinda small. But from what I can tell it looks pretty awesome. Good job! :thumbsup:

3. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Looks good man. Now, can you carry this in Canada?

4. Self_Regulated

Self_Regulated

I fixed the pictures. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, it is against the law to carry in any form in Canada. That's what the Police are for right? :whistling:

I am still having trouble with my Glock magazines not dropping free. I do think I warped the frame just slightly causing all of my magazines to not drop free. One of my brothers Glock 22 magazines needs force on the first half of insertion to fit properly. I am really displeased with this and want to resolve this right away.

My Glock 23 magazines insert fine, but do not drop free. Sometimes when I depress the magazine release, it gets stuck in the depressed position. Also I find that I really have to slam loaded magazines in the firearm for it to seat and click in.

What should I do?

5. toddnjoy

toddnjoy

light sanding on the inside of the mag well and some on the mag release to create some relief of distortion.
    you could also create a round finger relief on he back side of the trigger guard for more finger room

6. Self_Regulated

Self_Regulated

Alrighty. Time to ruin my magazine release! :D I'll let you know how it goes.

7. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

Looks very nice, well done!

8. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Did you try putting the original Glock Mag Catch if the problem persists?

Anyways, thanks for sharing...especially on modifying the backstrap by using a candle and rolling it on a hard surface for the flat shape. You should make a video! The stippling looks pretty clean.

9. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Looks great, man! I would try the factory mag release first, and would not sand the magazine release. I would sand the inside of the mag well. You don't want to overdo the mag release to the point of having it not hold. Plus, if it's not square, it won't hold well. Just try lightly sanding the inside of the mag well first. I'm thinking that the sides of the mag well might be bowed in. Maybe it's front-to-back, though. I hope you get it worked out, it looks great!

10. Self_Regulated

Self_Regulated

Well, I tried sanding the magazine release a bit and it helped slightly. I do believe it is definitely the well that is causing most of the problems.

I was just playing with my brothers 22 Gen 4 and wow what a difference. The well is so smooth. Mine looks like its been through hell and back. It was a duty carry pistol, so it's been through the paces.

I find it hard to reach in their and sand the well. I wish my magazines ejected like the Gen 4 does. :(

11. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

You did an excellent job there. Because of the pain and cost of shipping to the US you should consider doing this as a businuess up there. I'm sure there is quite a call for that type of work up there. Well Done....TXPO

12. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Try wrapping a rag in sandpaper with both ends of the rag sticking out (one end down bottom, and one end up top out of the ejection port). Then, you can just pull it up and down until it's sanded down enough.

13. bac1023

bac1023

14. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

the same thing happened to me when I did the reduction on my g30. my mags wont drop free and require me to pull them out when empty. gun still functions though. overall it looks really good.

15. smoothisfastmanila

smoothisfastmanila packn'Thunder

:rock:

________

H&K forum member no. 386

The road to redemption is many, not always peaceful.

16. hddave

hddave i want more!

Looks like a nice job to me, I can only imagine how nervious you were doing this! I would probably ruin a perfectly good Glock.

17. jamaicanj

jamaicanj

Looks good.

Good luck with the mag issue

J

18. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Looks Good! :thumbsup:

Although, I've handled several stippled Glocks and haven't acquired a taste for them. I've used Talon Grips off and on for a while, but still can't get used to it. Maybe one of these days. :supergrin:

Good luck on the mag issue. Keep us posted.

:wavey:

red

19. guns54

guns54 toni

Very nice job, It looks good.

20. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

OP: Impressed, Nice work. So many people that try this just end up with a butcher job.