Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Bombdiggity
28,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frozen water is falling from the sky in San Antonio.

That doesnt happen very often. While we can survive heat that will make Yankees melt, a single ice cube on the roads around here messes the place up pretty bad.

The roads are going to be baaaaaad in the morning.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Yeah I do not envy that. It got seriously icy and snowed here for the only time in my life about 6 years ago and it was insane. I always thought the cold had to be way worse up north. That was until I worked with some dudes from Finland once. They asked me how it could be so cold with no snow?

Turns out the humidity is just as rough in the cold as it is in the heat. Never would of thunk it but it was funny to see those guys freezing their buts off when it was only 35F or so. Yes we don't have ice and snow often and I'm very glad we don't as I do not see how Yank's put up with it, but when you can't stay dry...it hurts one's bones.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Frozen water is falling from the sky in San Antonio.

That doesnt happen very often. While we can survive heat that will make Yankees melt, a single ice cube on the roads around here messes the place up pretty bad.

The roads are going to be baaaaaad in the morning.
Would that frozen, falling water be sleet or snow?

Now ya'll know what we have to live with from mid-November thru mid-April.:wavey:

·
The Bombdiggity
28,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Now ya'll know what we have to live with from mid-November thru mid-April.:wavey:
It is a sleet/rain mix. However, looking at the radar, we are going to get a very real snow within the hour.

We have to live with this about once a decade. Go sit in an oven and throw a pot of boiling water on you...that is what we deal with....well, most of the year. It gets a little hot and humid here.

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
H-town - Just made it home safely. It was starting to rain ice, and I started to feel some slipping. Plenty accidents around town, already.

·
The Bombdiggity
28,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rabbi. your crappy weather is heading my way.
When I lived in Little Rock I enjoyed the one or two real snows a year but what I hated was the fact that it was in just the right spot for all those real bad ice storms.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm in McAllen, TX. We are getting about the same thing you are Rabbi. Vehicles iced over, plants, etc. We are still doing a heck of a lot better than those poor folks in the North Central and North Eastern U.S. I feel bad for them. I'd hate to live in that climate. I'll put up with the humid South Texas heat.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
When I lived in Little Rock I enjoyed the one or two real snows a year but what I hated was the fact that it was in just the right spot for all those real bad ice storms.

Indeed. This has been a good year so far.
We have had more events than normal but all have been snow. This last big storm stayed north of us.
It's a white knuckle ride when I have to drive 25 miles to work on a sheet of ice.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts

Better you than us. :tongueout: Seriously though I could never put up with that. I would make it a priority to move to a warmer climate. The heat is miserable but the cold hurts and turns out to be a pain in the butt.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Better you than us. :tongueout: Seriously though I could never put up with that. I would make it a priority to move to a warmer climate. The heat is miserable but the cold hurts and turns out to be a pain in the butt.
Understandable.
Personally, I prefer the cold weather. I really don't like the oppressive heat and humidity and mosquitoes in the summer.

My mom is a former neighbor of yours. She is from Galveston and it took her awhile to get use to the colder winters and miserable summers.

BTW, my Grandpa was in Texas City when the Grandcamp blew up in 1947.
He was working on a radar on a ship tied up by the Grandcamp when the Grandcamp started burning. He hauled ass out of there when the fire started getting out of control and just beat the big bang. Several family friends were killed and injured there.

·
The Bombdiggity
28,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are calling it "freezing drizzle"

I just walked outside to see it and it is just nasty. Half sleet and half rain that is freezing into a real bad ice sheet.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Understandable. Personally, I prefer the cold weather. I really don't like the oppressive heat and humidity and mosquitoes in the summer.

My mom is a former neighbor of yours. She is from Galveston and it took her awhile to get use to the colder winters and miserable summers.

BTW, my Grandpa was in Texas City when the Grandcamp blew up in 1947.
He was working on a radar on a ship tied up by the Grandcamp when the Grandcamp started burning. He hauled ass out of there when the fire started getting out of control and just beat the big bang. Several family friends were killed and injured there.
I feel you but having lived here for so long I'll take a miserable heat over bone chilling cold any day. My grandparents lived through the TC explosion. Believe it or not that explosion was detected by seismographs in Denver Colorado. It was the energy equivalent of 4-5 times Hiroshima or so I was taught. Glad your GP bailed when he did. I remember my grandmother telling me how the windows shattered for miles around. Firefighters on the scene were wiped out. It was truly a disaster.

ETA I completely forgot about mosquitoes. Not sure how I did that but... After tropical storm Allison a fed came buy and told me that the blood suckers were not a big deal we he was from up north. I can't imagine a Spring/Summer and most of the time Fall without them.

·
GET A ROPE!
37,372 Posts
3" of actual snow around here. :scared:
It hides the ice.
It's going to be bumper cars on the Dallas highways and byways this day, fer sure.

·
NRA Member
3,339 Posts
6" of snow by 5:00 am this morning so far in southern Hunt County.........I knew the local TV meteorologists were gonna be wrong when they predicted 1-2" of snow last night........:faint:

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
Stay safe out there, Rabbi:angel:

·
Everybody Lies
5,963 Posts
HA..........thats funny, suppost to be in the 40's and sunny here in cold old nebraska!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts