It's "Mainely" about Snakes!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Mar 13, 2010.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Granted, this happened in “Southern Maine” :supergrin:, and while we got our share of pests up here, at least venomous snakes were not one of them. Talk about problems with “illegal aliens!:wow: (you can see a picture of the serpent in the linked story)

Wonder if it was that “Global Warmin’ “ deal that made this critter migrate north (and across the Atlantic Ocean):upeyes:

Would not on my list of things to watch out for if I was taking a walk anywhere in Maine.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/138603.html

SACO, Maine — A poisonous 5-foot-long viper from Africa was found stretched dead across a rock in a wooded area behind a movie theater, and the Maine Warden Service said Tuesday it was searching for the person who released the reptile.
    A woman walking with her dog discovered the Gaboon viper Monday on a trail behind the Cinemagic and IMAX theater complex on busy U.S. 1, Sgt. Tim Spahr. The snake was released Sunday and succumbed to low temperatures, which dipped to freezing overnight, he said.
    It’s illegal to possess exotic snakes in Maine. Wardens will consult the district attorney to determine what charges might be appropriate, Spahr said.
    “In my 13 years as a game warden, this is the weirdest that I’ve actually dealt with,” Spahr said Tuesday. “This is an incredibly dangerous species, a life-threatening species. And people walk up and down these trails.”
    Gaboon vipers favor the warmer climates of central, west and east Africa. They’re known for their heft — they can weigh as much as 18 pounds — and their long fangs.

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

The snakes in Maine die insanely on the plains. . . behind the movie theatre.

3. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Venomous though it was it takes a real cheezeball to release an animal that will not survive. Too bad the GV did not bite his dumb ***.

4. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Man, that someone would release a Gaboon Viper on a trail that folks use every day. Not to mention the harm done to the snake, and while I don't like snakes, I don't intentionally seek them out to do harm either. Man, a kid would be dead in minutes if they ran across that thing.

Got to be a real dunder head.

This is the sort of activity some folks engage in that makes us all just really wonder about the person next to us. Who would think that an acceptable notion? Evidently someone who wanted to harm another or someone absolutely without a clue. Trouble is, sooooo many folks fall into that category these days.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I think somebody's illegal pet croaked and they dumped it there as a joke.

6. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

I sure hope thats it.

7. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

The longest fangs of any snake...