close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's Harder When Dogs Die Than When Cats Die

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Glennbo, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Glennbo

Glennbo

I don't mean to be morbid, but some pet talk on "General Non-Glocking" got me thinking about the pets I've had. My first pet was a terrier that we had when I was a little boy. It got hit by a car, and I was there. After that my parents got only cats. I've been around cats since then. A lot of cats that were my pets died, one in my arms. But it didn't seem to be as bad as the dog. Is that just because I was a kid? I now have two cats. I guess the point of this thread is to question whether it hurts more to lose a dog than cat.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I haven't lost a cat...yet...but I don't expect it to hurt any less than when I had to put my dog down about a year and a half ago.

Last year when I stopped and got a stranger's dog out of the road, holding him while he died hurt as bad as loosing my Alf had. He wasn't even my dog and I had known him about five minutes but it tore me up.

I haven't dealt with a cat dying yet...not one of my own or one I was close to but I expect it to hurt as bad, if not worse than seeing a dog die.

When Peach lost Josh a few months ago, it hurt me. It hurt because I knew she was hurtingm and there was nothing that I could do to help her. Also, I know that one day I will loose my kitties too and I will have to deal with that first hand.

If my pet were a snake, turtle, goat or horse I think the pain would be just as bad...

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Cats and dogs interact with their owners differently. Cats are more detached than dogs. To me, losing a dog is hard since they are more dependent on their owners. I've buried many cats with a certain "detachment" but the dogs I've buried hurt.

4. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I don't think it matters whether it's a dog or cat, it matters how attached you get to them. Some cats are pretty anti-social. Mine is an only child so to speak, and is very friendly once she gets to know you. I can't imagine losing her. OTOH, we lost our puppy when I was a kid and we cried for a couple of days over that.

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

This past July when I lost that little Siamese Joshua I had rather unexpectedly and suddenly I was a blubbering mess for a whole week and could not concentrate or anything.......

I have to agree with Glockgirl.....it's how you percieve the relationship you have with your pet......yeah, some cats are really detached, but this two year old cat I had was like a child and was very dog-like.....

I hope I never have to go thru what I went thru in July ever again. Having to find out and then having to make that choice to end my pet's life in a short 5 minute span because it was the only humane thing to do.......

6. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

The Rainbow Bridge

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill
    Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still
    Where the friends of man and woman do run
    When their time on earth is over and done

For here between this world and the next
    Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest
    On this golden land, they wait and they play
    ‘Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness
    For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness
    Their limbs are restored, their health renewed
    Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued

They romp through the grass, without even a care
    Until one day they start, and sniff at the air
    All ears ***** forward, eyes dart front and back
    Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack

For just at that instant, their eyes have met
    Together again, both person and pet
    So they run to each other, these friends from long past
    The time of their parting is over at last

The sadness they felt while they were apart
    Has turned into joy once more in each heart
    They embrace with a love that will last forever
    And then, side by side, they cross over together

7. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

personally i see no difference, ive lost both and it hurts the same. but opinions may vary.

hj

8. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

Death, along with its ensuing separation, hurts whether it be the death of a dog, cat, or a human companion. I don't see how a person can say that the death of one species is harder to bear than the death of another. Pain depends to a large degree upon the attachment and committment we have to the one that dies.

9. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

Could it be that the death of the dog hurt so much more because it was the first time you'd experienced the separation death brings? I don't think anything will ever equal the shock, pain, and feeling of total helplessness and nothing left to hold onto that I experienced with the first death from within my own family. I've since been through the deaths of other family members who I held just as dear, but their death's were somehow easier to bear. Maybe just getting used to such loss helps dull the pain.

10. Fungunner

Fungunner

I've had a multitude of pets over my 50 years. You get attached, regardless of what the critter is. I just had to have a little parrot put down by the vet last week. Had him for about 25 years, and I still got emotional over it. I can't say any one pet that has been a part of my life for any length of time has been any easier to part with.

11. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I've been quite involved with animals my whole life. Ever since I was a child there were always animals in the house, usually cats and later on dogs.

Recently we lost (had to put down) our Dobie, Thor. It was like loosing one of my kids. It took me a week to take down his crate. It has been hard on both of us. We were both a mess. Its almost to the point where you don't want to get another dog, because you don't want to go through that again. But, being animal lovers and especailly Dobermans, there will be another when the time is right.

Several years ago, my kids (who live with my ex) said our dog (who stayed with them), a Golden Retreiver named "KC" had died. Not as rough, but still very emotional.

I've lost cats before and while the loss is still felt very deep, there was a difference. I agree it has to do with the way cats and dogs interact with their human owners. I'm sure thats why they refer to dogs as being "man's best friend".

Perhaps a person who only owns cats will feel the same way as a dog person does. Any loss is a terrible thing to deal with. All I can say is how I felt when Thor was gone. As someone else said, I'm sure it has to do with the relationship you have with the animal.

12. bachchoy

bachchoy Bond

13. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

I haven't lost a pet in quite awhile...

A family cat died years back and it was the first time I witnessed my father cry (I was 22 years old)... it was my dad's cat, for all intent and purpose. My Dad is a rough, yet kindhearted guy of 5'8" and 230 lbs of muscle (his personality is alot like the father on "orange county choppers'). He's an accomplished amateur boxer and highschool star athlete, who grew up in the inner city of Buffalo, NY. He worked hard all his life and literally forged a life for himself and his family, from nothing. This man was, and still is, the man who confronted a group of about 15 college-age guys who were wreaking havoc in our neighborhood one night, and the biggest one (about 6'4", 250 lbs) was the first-and only one- he needed to whoop. A good-gentle tough guy my father is.

He had never showed such hurting emotion as I saw that day. He bought the cat for my mom, yet she (the cat) liked him the most. Her name was "Channel" (aka: shu-shu) she was a himalayan, and he purchased a padded barstool that stood next to the dinner table. Come dinner time, no one wore a hat, put their elbows on the table, etc. yet, my dad would call: 'shu-shu' and she'd come a-runnin', and jump and sit on the barstool, next to my father while we all ate. She'd just sit there and watch us, and of course, receive a tid-bit now and then for her very good manners. She slept ON him at night. He'd have torn any man or beast apart that would have tried to hurt his shu-shu... I'd think that their bond was/is so strong that even speaking bad of her today would lead someone down a path ending in an emergency ward visit.

I remember coming to my parent's home one day and my Dad was in tears, holding shu-shu. She had been having problems, but this 'was it'. She was alive, but barely. He couldn't bring himself to move, let alone take her to the vet to be put down. Her bodily functions had 'let go' and her feces/urine had come out, partially onto my father's arms. Yet he held her, stroking her to keep her as comfortable as possible. *this is hard on me writing this* . This was one of those times when you realize your super-hero, do-all father is actually human.

That was oh, about 10 years ago... I've since married and moved out of state and just got a Doberman. My wife and I have had him for about a year now... just thinking about his eventual demise depresses me greatly... and he's only a year old. Funny thing is, is that he's "our shu-shu". Bought him to protect my wife when I travel for my job (and of course be a spoiled pet). He loves us equally and sits beside us at the dinner table, only occassionally over-stepping his limits (he is a pup), and sleeps 'all over' the both of us at night.

Even though he's bred to be the finest and most capable of guard dogs, as he's grown to about 90 lbs now, I would not allow him to 'fight' an intruder if I was there... I'd do that if need be. That's how much I love my boy (stupid or not)... hence I don't know how I'll deal with it, but rest-assurred, I'll literally be a basket-case for awhile when he goes.

The funniest thing: when my parents visit, our Dobe IMMEDIATELY goes to my dad... and WON'T leave him alone for their entire visit. My father rants and raves about his 'grand-puppy' to anyone who'll listen.

Sorry for carrying on... point is that cat, dog, mouse, whatever, it all depends on the person and their pet's bond to them.

14. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

On September 29th, 1999 at a few minutes before noon, I held onto my 13 year old Pit Bull while the Vet gave her that last merciful injection. (She was dying of cancer.) I'm not exactly sure if it's sad or just plain sorry; but I was unable to cry when my Father and, later on, my Mother died.

I did, however, cry when I lost Sadie-Jane! She was the first episode I’ve had with serious personal loss in more than 40 years. Sadie was born on my birthday; broke her right knee the same week that I broke mine; and she actually refused to drop her pups until I was in the room with her.

I've come to the conclusion that each of us owes a, 'debt' to anyone or, for the matter, anything who has loved us. The ability to love doesn't seem to come naturally; and, without doubt, personal risk is involved: It takes courage to let yourself love something. Sadie-Jane spent 10 years guarding me, and wouldn't let another dog near me unless I called it over; on one occasion, I am positive that she saved me from being seriously harmed.

Life is strange; I know that I'll never be able to replace her - She unique to me, alone. About two years after she passed I was reading the paper, one Thursday evening, when I noticed an ad for a young purebred Dachshund. Well, I got the idea that I would like to, just, see this dog. Two days later my wife and I drove over to the place. It was the middle of December. The weather had been unseasonably warm; but the past two days the temperature had dropped below freezing at night. There in a small chicken coop in the backyard was a young, filthy dirty, little waif of a dog who seemed half frozen and kind of, 'hysterical'.

These people wouldn't let the dog inside because he wasn't reliably housebroken. I figured, 'What the Hell!' I didn't really want the dog; but, neither did they, so I gave them $50.00 for this puppy and his registration papers. That night after he went into convulsions and stopped breathing, I woke my old Vet up at 1:00 o'clock in the morning and dropped another $600.00 to save this little dog's life. He had pneumonia, was apparently terrified by his new surroundings, and (possibly) had some sort of adverse reaction to his new food.

The little guy should have died that night. By some miracle I found a mistaken purchase of Benedryl in the medicine cabinet. That and my wife's artificial respiration kept him alive until the Vet was able to stabilize him. The next two weeks were intensive care time for him; but, with each passing day, he seemed to want to live more and more. Well, he made it; and he's our good buddy, now! He's not a Pit Bull; he'll never save us from being mugged; but now that he's, 'found' himself, he is a feisty little tyke with lots and lots of personality. I like to think that Sadie-Jane would have wanted us to save him.

If there's a moral to this story it would be that as life goes on, and we continue along for the, 'ride' other opportunities will appear for each of us to expand on the good memories and worthwhile experiences from the past. Besides, who's to say that sometime, somewhere, we all won't meet again? No one knows any of these things for certain. You and I won't see any of our good friends, again, in this life; but WE WILL continue to have other opportunities to be kind to those with whom we come into contact. :cool:

15. Glennbo

Glennbo

DEUCE DOBE, and G. Gunman, those are two of the most heart-rending stories I've ever heard! Everyone, your humanity touches me deeply.

16. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

well said Glennbo!! I got fresh tears over Deuce's and G. Gunman's posts. What amazing, touching, heart tugging stories you guys!!

I think this thread is shaping up to be one of the BEST here in Woof's Critter Corner........;c

Thanks everyone and keep the good posts coming about our buddies!!

17. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

My dad used to hate cats, being a devoted dog man. He even had a bumper sticker on his old truck that said something about killing cats to make the world a better place. My parents have 2 cats now, and they are my dad's babies. They sleep with him, he picks them up and cuddles them and coos at them. It's so funny and cute.

My Sgt. was telling me about putting his very sick cat to sleep last year, he held it while it went to sleep. He said it was purring in his arms when it died. Now this Sgt is a pretty tough dude, but he was unashamed to tell me that he cried when the cat went to sleep for the last time.

18. Glennbo

Glennbo

19. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Lord have mercy.........

Each time I read this thread and the new entries, I well up and I have to wipe my eyes.......

We have all been there.......

Glockgirl......That bit about the purring cat in the lap while the final injection was given REALLY got to me......Oh man, that just shakes me to the core......

20. stryfe101

stryfe101

I've lost several pets in the past and for each one be it my dog, the cats i've had, or my hamster it hurt just as much in each case. I think each individuals attachment with the pet ultimately depends on the level of hurt or sadness when that pet passes on. For me, every pet I've had that has passed on was a family pet, that we would have had since the pet was little, so the attachment to them, just as they being attached to us was strong. Pets after time get used to us being around just as much as we get used to them. Case in point I went to florida for a week to stay with my friends parents and their black lab was there and he enjoyed us being there for that week so much that when we were gone he kept walking thru the house looking for us. I also think that cats get just as attached to their owners as dogs do...just in a different way and thats why i love cats and dogs..each has thier own benefits. Btw whomever wrote the rainbow bridge text, thank you.

Gray