It's Garbage Day!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jun 12, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Friday is when the truck comes around and picks up curb side garbage. There are some things they won't pick up like appliances, tires and such, but almost everything else goes.
    I've got a little bit in the back of the truck ready to take down the road after I finish my coffee,
    I didn't even come close to filling up a tall kitchen trash can this week, but am getting rid of some rags, books, boxes from the cellar.
    One the 27th, there is a "junk day" where you can take stuff like old gas grills, metal and even appliances and tires. I've missed out on this annual festival the past two years so I'll have a big truck load or two.

How much junk do you generate om average every week?
    How do you get rid of old appliances? It's a real pain here.

2. papershoot

papershoot

Not the case with my first house, but almost anything will get picked up here. They won't pick up old tires, cans of paint, or anything hazardous. Things I have put on the street and get picked up were: old carpeting, furniture, lumber, cut trees, and large cardboard boxes full of junk. They use a big claw to pick up trees and branches. Another truck comes by with men to pick up the junk.

Inyo Tim and FullClip like this.

3. drumgod

drumgod

I only generate 1-2 kitchen bags of garbage a month. I went without garbage service for 7 years. I used to drop it in my neighbor's can (with permission) but they changed their schedule and now I'm paying for the service. It averages about $20 a bag but what are you going to do. They will take appliances, though most people drop them off at a recycler for the $$$. If you do put them out someone usually grabs them before the garbage guys do.

When I was a kid "garbage day" (restriction amnesty) was like Christmas. We used to ride our bikes around and dig through the piles junk. It was "pickers" vs kids. lol. For years I had a microscope I trash picked. Dirty magazines were always abundant. I still have a 60s craftsman 1/2" drill that I rebuilt around here somewhere.

4. Pluto57

Pluto57

Appliances are easy. Lots of folks willing to come get them and take them to recycling. Same for old grills and rusted out propane tanks.

JLA and mj9mm like this.
  5. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

if chopped, smashed, or otherwise reduced to small particles, anything can go in the garbage can.

mj9mm, shadowgunner9, Flags and 3 others like this.
  6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Friday is my garbage day too!

I used to not get garbage pickup until I had a kid. I compost all my vegetables/bread etc, recycle glass, cardboard, etc at the county recycling center, and sometimes burned cardboard and paper. I would generate maybe one shopping bag of garbage a week, which I'd throw out at work or the gas station.

Now I get the smallest can you can get, I think it's like a 35 gallon can. I have one for garbage and one for recycling.

When I have bigger stuff I usually disassemble it and stuff it in the can. Case in point Lady Gonzoso got me a new office chair and I had an extra so it took me two weeks to break down and get two office chairs into the trash.

Really big stuff I take to a transfer station about 5 minutes away. They'll take a couch for like $10-$20.

A lot of metal stuff I'll advertise free scrap on facebook marketplace and put it at the end of my driveway and some random person comes and takes it.

mj9mm and Inyo Tim like this.
  7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Old appliances are easy for me too.

I just put them on the side of the street with a hand lettered sign that says " $ 40 ".

They disappear almost immediately.

JLA, -JCN-, cyberghostx13 and 9 others like this.
  8. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I've disassembled couches before, burned the wood and fit the remains in a couple trash bags.

mj9mm, Bogart999, Ramjet38 and 4 others like this.
  9. Sprinkler Fitter

Sprinkler Fitter

We fell 895 gallon garbage can every week but we owned a barbecue vending trailer so we get a lot of the customers garbage to put into our can at home.
    Our garbage company you can call and they will send a separate truck out to pick up a couch or appliance or anything else you can’t throw in the garbage can.

10. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Garbage pickup where I live is every Thursday. Recycling is picked up every other Thursday. Family of 6, so we go through at least 3-5, 13 gallon trash bags per week. They also will not take things like appliances and tires. However, there are plenty of trailers set up along side of the roads here for junk metal drop off. The people who own the trailers to drop the metal into take it in on the weekends for scrap money. These are the places where I get rid of junk appliances, except for TVs. I burn everything else that I cannot put in the garbage, recycling can, or take to the metal dump.

mj9mm likes this.
  11. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

The wife calls them junk fairies. I don't care what we put down at the end of the driveway, it disappears. Mattresses, furniture, bodies...

KiloBravo, mj9mm, wally1 and 7 others like this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

The garbage truck drivers quit and walked off the job when they got to Von Hayes place, witnesses heard them still cussing a full five blocks away...

KiloBravo, mj9mm, Intolerant and 5 others like this.
  13. treg

treg

Oops, double tap.

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Illegal aliens, circling the neighborhoods in their Chebby pickups...

KiloBravo and mj9mm like this.
  15. nerr

nerr

Usually a kitchen bag a week. Recycled bin a little more due to odd shapes. During spring and summer will fill grass-clipping bin and a bag or 2 of lawn clippings and light tree sheddings. We can drop off appliances twice a year for free at the dump.

We are restricted by size of special cans we initially ordered: you pay monthly based on size of bin you have. These are the ones the automated arm on the truck can pick up. During the summer, we can add paper-bagged clippings. If we fill up a garbage or recycle can we have to store the trash till next time. Glad I kept my old cans.

I like garbage day. Someone takes something from me I actually did not want to keep.

mj9mm and FullClip like this.
  16. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I put weed trimmings in a bag and set it by the street with a sign that says free weed and its gone overnight.

mj9mm, Intolerant, -JCN- and 5 others like this.
  17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

When my uncle died he had a house full of nice furniture that no one in the family wanted or needed.

We hauled it out to the street with a sign that said free. First day a few things were gone.

Next day we put up a sign saying $1000 OBO. That night everything vanished.

mj9mm, Intolerant, FullClip and 3 others like this.
  18. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

I left a sleeper sofa out at the curb one time.

Sometime during the night someone came and disassembled it for the frame metal, and left the dry wall type screws scattered all over my driveway. Gee, thanks.

I have a magnet on a stick from Harbor Freight that I used to find them all.

KiloBravo, mj9mm, -JCN- and 2 others like this.
  19. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

:rofl:

It does work.

:D

20. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

I read the title and thought you were tailing about pelousy, Schumer, waters, AOC, Talib,....