Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Who will win the 147th Run For The Roses?

• Known Agenda

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Like The KIng

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brooklyn Strong

• Keepmeinmind

• Sainthood

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • O Besos

• Mandaloun

• Medina Spirit

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Hot Rod Charlie

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Midnight Bourbon

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Dynamic One

• Helium

• Hidden Stash

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Essential Quality

• Rock Your World

• King Fury

• Highly Motivated

• Super Stock

• Soup and Sandwich

• Bourbonic

Votes: 3 8.8%
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

Registered
Not sure what we鈥檙e doing quite yet but the wifey loves the derby and horse racing in general. She鈥檚 got her fascinator all ready for wear. We鈥檒l be going somewhere or doing something.

Registered
I'm going to go with Highly Motivated!

I was stationed at Ft. Knox KY from the summer of 85 to the summer of 88. I had the chance to go to Churchill Downs a couple of times - never for the Derby though. Cool experience. I remember in 1986 saying to my wife "I like that horse Ferdinand, if I was to bet - I'd put $100 down on him."

My wife at that time worked for Republic Airlines at the Louisville Airport, she said that it was cool to see all the people coming in for the Derby.

Good memories of my time in KY!

Philippians 4: 6-7
I couldn't care less who wins.

Registered
Oh, and by the way. I'm somewhere in the third picture I posted. I was at the Derby that year. Can anybody name the year and the winner shown in the pic?

Which one? I have several LOL.

The one I was wearing that day looked like this. I still have it somewhere.

View attachment 930577
The track and the margin of the win reminds me of Mind That Bird which was 2009, I think.

Registered
Pretty unpredictable year, a lot of lightly raced horses and and none have been particularly fast...yet.

Values. Can't be bought.

Registered
Thought a Southern Belle like you would have proper Mint Julep cups....no glass stuff.

View attachment 930571
Well slap my keester and call me Clementine! I actually JUST found out that was a proper Mint Julep cup this past weekend. Had a group of friends over, and one wanted to mix Juleps and asked for Julep cups, to which I responded that despite quite a repertoire of bar ware, 鈥滵on鈥檛 have any.鈥. He proceeded to mix them in Moscow mule cups, while explaining the importance of using metal cups in the process..........you know you have stirred them properly when condensation formed......at which time he also described said cups. To my surprise I actually owned a set of these these for 20 plus years.......never knowing what they were........I keep em near the water cooler because I like cold water out of a metal cup.

Funny........despite a well worn birth certificate, you still occasionally stumble upon simple, mundane piece of knowledge that somehow escaped your grasp all these years.

Philippians 4: 6-7

Diva extraordinaire
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Is that you on the trailing horsey??
LOL. No, that's me upstairs in the grandstand.

Today is the day! Im a fan and will be watching. My pick is Essential Quality to win.
He is the favorite.

I couldn't care less who wins.
Party pooper. No julep for you.
LOL just kidding.

My wife is rooting for Soup and Sandwich. tom.
Me too, because of GT LOL. I might even put a $5 bet on him. He's at 30-1 last time I looked, so that would be a nice payout.

The track and the margin of the win reminds me of Mind That Bird which was 2009, I think.
Nope. I'll give you a hint: He won the first two Triple Crown races but finished second in the last one.

Reactions: FullClip

Registered
LOL. No, that's me upstairs in the grandstand.

He is the favorite.

Party pooper. No julep for you.
LOL just kidding.

Me too, because of GT LOL. I might even put a $5 bet on him. He's at 30-1 last time I looked, so that would be a nice payout.

Nope. I'll give you a hint: He won the first two Triple Crown races but finished second in the last one.
Smarty Jones?? Didn't think you were that old.

Friends Call Me "Flash"
My favorite Uncle Al (Albert) and I used to go to the horse races and to the Harness races around Chicago. I've never been much of a gambler, but I'd place a small bet and grooved on watching the horses and the people. Horse oriented women are special and they're always nice to look at! Uncle Al taught me how to read the Racing Form.

I'll be tuned into the Derby, but I'm not up on any of the horses.

Remember the Triple Crown races? What a thrill!

Flash

Registered
I predict a horse will win, and no drama this year. I always hope none get hurt.

This thread again reminds me of a great way to ruin a shot of Bourbon.

Maybe I'll make a Hot Brown for the occasion.

Registered
Hidden Stash

Reactions: Hannie Caulder
21 - 40 of 68 Posts