Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 336 Posts

· Registered
131,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I find it odd that there are tens of thousands of P320 pistols being used by civilian shooters and yet there's no uproar over live rounds being ejected from those pistols. Did SIG supply Uncle Sam with a bad batch of magazines, or is the XM1152 ammo defective, or what?

If the civilian pistols work fine and the military ones don't, then the basic design should be sound and the problems fixable.
It may have something to do with the amount of use they get.

Having said that, not all civilians are happy with them.

· Registered
131,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I looked at a brand new one at a gun store, thing had scrapes and gouges all over the frame. I have a G19 I've been carrying for 4-5 years and has no such wear. I felt the same about the 320, not impressed. Then again I feel like I'm the only one to think the shield feels cheap too.
Yes, very cheap polymer in that regard. Whether the gun works well or not is obviously debatable. The amount of wear the gun shows is not.

As a carry gun, that woukdn’t bother me much, but I know it does some.

· Registered
5,846 Posts
I find it odd that there are tens of thousands of P320 pistols being used by civilian shooters and yet there's no uproar over live rounds being ejected from those pistols. Did SIG supply Uncle Sam with a bad batch of magazines, or is the XM1152 ammo defective, or what?

If the civilian pistols work fine and the military ones don't, then the basic design should be sound and the problems fixable.
Fake news. See the link I posted above. Basically, 8 guys out of ~132 accounted for 60% of the issues, of which were failure to lock the slide back on the last round. Of which, a vast majority of the issues were FSLR.

· Registered
1,725 Posts
Yes, very cheap polymer in that regard. Whether the gun works well or not is obviously debatable. The amount of wear the gun shows is not.

As a carry gun, that woukdn’t bother me much, but I know it does some.
I agree with this, but think how long before the pin holes start to open up? Or other parts start to work themselves loose on the polymer. I know the frames are like 40 bucks, but to me that shouldn't be a concern. That's the whole reason to leave aluminum and steel behind, the polymers were supposed to be tough.

· Registered
5,846 Posts
To those that believe the P320 and the Shield has "cheap" polymer.... can you show us all the documented failures? Given the Shield has been out for forever and over a million sold the P320 is no slouch in sales either, this should be easy to point out.

· Registered
1,725 Posts

There are some police departments that are suing Sig too, not just the issues you see with the military. I honestly believe most people don't fire their guns as much as they claim either. Most people don't really see the issues because they just aren't shooting them. A guy on youtube has done these series of videos of, "the perfect carry gun" and he had nothing but problems with the p320. Rated it pretty low, it does feel cheap. Like others have said, its basically a re-packaged P250.

· Old timer
16,229 Posts
Fake news. See the link I posted above. Basically, 8 guys out of ~132 accounted for 60% of the issues, of which were failure to lock the slide back on the last round. Of which, a vast majority of the issues were FSLR.
Did you actually read what you posted? Looked to me like it substantiated the claims made... every issue mentioned in one is mentioned in the other... what am I missing?

· Registered
1,732 Posts
Most civilian pistols aren't shot much. Then again, there are those shooters who burn through 1000+ rounds a month, and those are the people who would be posting complaints (and videos) on the internet if their SIGs were having bizarre malfuctions like ejecting rounds straight from the magazine.

And have the Army's M17 pistols really been shot that much, by military standards? They haven't been around for decades like the old M1911 and M9 pistols and they don't get fired nearly as much as the rifles do. The reason tankers and aircrews and officers are issued pistols is that they aren't supposed to be using personal weapons very often. Even the military police aren't doing high volume live fire exercises with their pistols very often, are they?

· Registered
6,252 Posts

· Elite Member
6,664 Posts
It really sucks how bad the army screwed this up. They had the opportunity to have an excellent pistol but in the end they wound up with this peice of garbage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,846 Posts
....and again, read your posted article, it confirms what the OP posted lol

For the reading impaired.....

• The predominant cause of stoppages was the failure of the

slide to lock (FSLR)
after the firing of the last round in

the magazine (60 of 120 stoppages for the XM17 and 63

of 85 stoppages for the XM18). The purpose of the slide

locking to the rear is to inform the operator that the last round

has been expended, and that the operator needs to reload a

magazine into the weapon. Operators who are trained in

pistol qualification, as taught by the Army marksmanship unit,

utilize what is known as a high pistol grip. This grip places

the non‑dominant hand along the pistol slide on top of the

slide catch lever. Many operators stated that the placement of

the slide catch lever caused them to engage it while firing the

pistol, which resulted in the slide not locking to the rear when

the last round was expended in a magazine. Sixty percent

of all FSLR stoppages (75 of 123) were experienced by

8 shooters out of the 132 who participated in the IOT&E.

The Army marksmanship unit experts stated that this is an

insignificant problem that can be mitigated with training and

experience with the weapon. The MRBS demonstrated during

IOT&E is significantly increased if this stoppage is eliminated:

- The XM17 demonstrated 708 MRBS (87 percent

probability).

- The XM18 demonstrated 950 MRBS (90 percent
Reading is Fundamental as they say. Feel free to show where the original article is objective enough to state this.

I wonder how many individuals of any other given platform would blame the operator if the slide failed to lock back?

Again 8 individuals = 60% of your problem and the P320 flew through other parts of the test.

Again... any beretta and AR owners in this thread? I surely hope not.

· Registered
131,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
To those that believe the P320 and the Shield has "cheap" polymer.... can you show us all the documented failures? Given the Shield has been out for forever and over a million sold the P320 is no slouch in sales either, this should be easy to point out.
I only mentioned cheap in regards to marking up. I don’t have enough experience with the P250 or P320 to claim anything more.

41 - 60 of 336 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.