close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's been a tough day

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Los Suenos, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Los Suenos

Los Suenos JSC

My 11 year old Doberman and my 5 year old American Bulldog got into it bad this morning. My 9 month old American Bulldog ***** is in heat and this is the result. The doberman looked to get the best of it by the looks but in the end it was just alot of mouth trauma on both dogs. Teeth going through lips and tounges for the most part. The fight happened outside in the yard and the second pic is just from the doberman coming inside. I left the AB outside to seperate them. Now I have the Doberman sitting in a doggy retreat for $30/day. My vet suggested I put the Doberman down. I don't want to but I'm running out of options and money.

2. Los Suenos

Los Suenos JSC

Here's the two of them in better times. FWIW, they fought and ended up in the vet's office with stitches and staples before the female came along.

3. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

How did they get into it? Were you not home? Why were they unsupervised? Have you heard of crate and rotate? There is no need to put a dog down for animal aggression. The only reason a dog should be put down is for human aggression or poor quality of life.

4. Los Suenos

Los Suenos JSC

I should have mentioned, he's a biter. Still no reason to put him down though, I agree. He's been a good dog but a relentless barker as well. He snarls at me at least twice a week and scratches at the doors I lock him behind. As you can see in the second picture, I have a huge crate and do "crate and rotate". I may have him fixed but he is 11. Would it be beneficial at this point IYO?

5. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

If he is a biter toward humans I would put him down or seek a skilled behaviorist. Unless you show a dog, IMO, they should all be fixed. There are over 5 millions pets killed a year since they don't have homes, spaying and neutering will help! It will also calm him down a bit and will probably stop the alpha role he is trying to make.

6. mattellis2

mattellis2

i don't think so. at 11 years old, he is pretty set in his ways. neutering is going to do much.

-matt

7. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Not true, I have seen big changes in older males after they went under the knife. That old saying "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" isn't correct. Plus, it takes the drive away to go after females in heat, regardless of his age. Lastly, it can't hurt anything, and we don't need more dogs in this world even if it's an accident.

Over 5 million pets killed a year and people are still breeding and not altering their pets, I don't get it.