close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's as if on que.........

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by jdsumner, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jdsumner

jdsumner

My low back went into spasms yesterday afternoon. Yah, I know, spasms don't stop real men.. so you may call me "Susan".
    These weren't your average, run-of-the-mill spasms. These were white, blinding light behind your eyes, drop to the ground and stop breathing spasms.
    Left work, went to family doctor. One of the longest, most painful drives ever. He hits me w a syringe full of Toridal(?)(sp). Says they use it in emergency rooms thru an IV, but needs it to hit me now to unlock my low back. Things start to feel better. Writes scripts for 800mg Ibuprofins, cyclobenzaprine, and everybody's favorite, prednisone. Writes me an out of till Sat note, and I'm on my way to cvs. Feels much better to day, but, damn, this is frustrating. Really it doesn't reach this level of pain most of the time. I'm usually only in about 10% pain. So much so that 10% is almost unnoticable until I get to thinking about it.

My core is strong, I continue to do the rehab stuff that they taught me last year, and the year before, oh, and the years before that. I do my chiro stuff 2-4 times a week. i dont get it. It's been 3 yrs since my surgery. Why cant I get over this damn low back stuff?

Any of you guys ever use a pain management clinic, or other alternatives besides just the pills? My doc is wanting to put me on a once a day anti inflammatory as a pro active method of maybe preventing the spasms from ever getting started. What about some sort of lidocane+cortizone shot, like they do to my shoulders?

Eagerly awaiting your responses......

dan

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

My wife regularly gets torradol injections for migraines. It's a really good anti-inflammatory.

3. jdsumner

jdsumner

"My wife regularly gets torradol injections for migraines. It's a really good anti-inflammatory. "- Eye

yeah, my back turned loose fairly quickly after the injection. Asked the doc if he could just send me home w a bottle of it and some needles, and i use as needed. no dice.

dan

4. BradD

BradD

Man, that totally stinks. So sorry to read about it. I understand what you mean about the spasm. "Spasm" sounds so benign, LOL. About 13 years ago when I was in judo, I woke up the morning following practice with my first real back spasm. I was totally unprepared for that level of pain and could not even get out of bed without my wife dragging me out. They shot me up with something--perhaps the same stuff you got--and it let go in a couple of hours. Was really sore for a while after that.

Do the MDs have some kind of plan to help get rid of this crap? I wouldn't expect the primary care MD to be helpful, but what about the neuro? My limited experience with this stuff is watching my FIL, who has 3 degenerating discs in his back. He did not have surgery and has been miserable since the injury he got at work. Rip had neck vertebrae fused and claims that it's fine. The woman sitting beside me on a plane the other day had some fused and said it was OK.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Doesn't surprise me. It's pretty powerful ****, as you saw.

I dunno anything about pain management. We're trying everything we can to use that as a last resort for her migraines (2-3 per week, usually one after the other, and has gotten them with that frequency for years).

I get cortisone in my left knee, and have gotten them in my shoulder. It worked really well; though I'm not sure it's a good long-term thing. I guess what would be the main issue in the decision-making is what, exactly, is causing the back spasms you're having. Would a muscle-relaxer work better (in the long term) than an anti-inflammatory or a never-ending script for Vicodin?

6. jdsumner

jdsumner

I dunno what will work. I do know that what I'm taking now has provided me w the most relief from the pain I've had in over 2 yrs. But, I dont wanna continue popping pills forever, unless that is the last resort.
    yeah, i've heard about Rip training just out of surgery for his neck. and I think that's why he is Rip. The guys at work called me a machine because I came back a month earlier than predicted. But these spasms are not something I can train thru. Once they start, there is no relief without the damn meds. These things will leave me in the dirt, trying not to breath for fear of another wave of 'em. And L4/L5 is where just about any movement starts. Arms, legs, hell, I think blinking really fast may have set these past spasms off:wow:. Its a pain that i can only describe as someone suddenly and forcefully stabbing an ice pick just to the right of my spine at the beltline. Normally, its just a dull ache, like an old bruise. But once the spasms start, its only a matter of hours before I'm dang near crippled. And what's so depressing is that I cant tell what's gonna set it off.
    My neuro says its to be expected, and if its only happening once or twice a year, I'm doing better than most.
    So I'm trying to solicit other ideas and alternate treatments. maybe having a different set of eyes on the problem may reveal something different.

For those of you just joining us here at "Susan's Spine Drama", I had a discectomy/laminectomy at L4/L5 in Jan of '07. I live in about 10% pain all the time. Just about to the point that it is completely tolerable and I dont acknowledge it at all. But from time to time, i get these spasms. And they are beasts. So my search for answeres continues.

dan

7. BradD

BradD

Rip also DLed 10 days out from hernia surgery. He doesn't count.

Do the MDs ever talk about fusion as an option? I'm wondering when that's indicated.

8. jdsumner

jdsumner

yeah, Brad. My neuro has always said it may come to a fusion. But, according to the MRIs, there's nothing to indicate a NEED for the fusion. Hence, the referral back to rehab, core strengthening, yadda yadda yadda. When I tell him I'm still doing all that, I'm told that I'm just more susceptible to these spasms. I suppose its because of the muscle he had to cut to get to the spine for the procedure. At the time of the surgery, he said he wanted to do as little as possible as more could be done later. I liked that conservative approach. And, I may be blowing a simple muscle spasms out of proportion. For all I know, it could be happening whether I'd had the cut or not. Just frustrated I guess.

9. BradD

BradD

I'm no MD, but just telling you to live with the spasms seems passive. Have you talked with a second neurosurgeon? Do they know if the spasms are from the cut muscle now being dysfunctional or from splinting to protect the disc from being damaged?

I don't blame you for being frustrated. Anybody would be. I'm very frustrated with my relatively minor issues. It is almost enough to make one want to just throw the hands up and go get a cake or 4 and eat and be merry, LOL.

10. N.D.Glock23

N.D.Glock23

----------------------------------------------------------------
    They might work quite well for you, as long as you never push the boundaries . . because if you do . . well
    I have a friend I'll call them Susan lol that has been through 5 spinal surgery's (+ some other osteopathic surgeries too.) They have been going to pain mgmt. for "YRS", (sometimes the shots will help) and I can not even begin to list all the anti- inflammatory 's, as well as all the (even Morphine is of very limited effectiveness for her) pain killers, Bone growth stimulator 's, they've tried, they have even been discussing a pain pump W her for some time now.

Note: Susans 1st Spine Surgery was done by a highly sought after TOP leader of the field in the U.S. and Neuro - Surgeons from all over the US are taught new cutting edge Spine/Neuro repair techniques by him, so the 1st 1 went very well, and she was scheduled for 2-3 more W/ him, till she had a misadventure, she'll never recover from or be the same again.

She now lives every day in the kind of pain that you or I wouldn't want to live W for a day let alone the rest of our lives.

It's (Spine injuries & related surgical repairs) some what like playing Russian Roulette, as to the outcome, no matter what the Dr.'s & Surgeons say.

(For those that do not have back trouble now, I say do not do "anything" to un - necessarily risk having it!)

Sorry I really don't mean to be a wet blanket, I also know another person who had your procedures and afterward they said it was the best thing they ever did, they felt as good as new and they went back to living a NORMAL life again, till they kept lifting to much heavy stuff AMA and now they are back to constantly being in pain;

Stubbornness can be very good for a full recovery but sometimes also be very bad for staying fully recovered!

That was a big problem for both of these above people.

I wish you well and hope you can beat this lower back problem, my prayers are with you JD.

N.D.

11. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Dan, I can't help in any way, but I wish you a speedy recovery. Good luck.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Hey JD, when's the last time you had an MRI? Can you even have MRIs now (I dunno if you have pins or not back there after your surgery)?