close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it...cleaning the litter box

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by The Pontificator, Dec 1, 2004.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

It happens once a month: changing out the litter for clean litter :(

Dumping all the litter into a garbage bag...then scrubbing the inside, sifting shovel, and shovel holder in Lysol disinfectant cleaner and hot water...then drying it off. Then refilling...then spilling some of the litter all over the floor.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

At least I can make an unpleasant job a little bit easier: before filling the box with clean litter spray the bottom of the litter pan with non-stick cooking spray. This will keep most of the clumps from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

One word: Littermaid

3. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I never heard the cooking spray trick, I will have to try it. I've not yet been able to convince my cat to clean out her own litter box.

4. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

<----fixin' to go and scoop her TWO(!) boxes

5. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Click pic to order. ;)

[​IMG]

6. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Cooking oil goes rancid.

We use clumping litter and just refill periodically. If you do get the automatic litter box, be very careful of the brand of litter you get. Also, it doesn't work well if your cat(s) are prolific excreters - the one with renal failure pees about a cup and it was too much for mine. And, one of them was afraid of it.

Some cats also don't like going in a brand new box, they want some of their smell on it.

Laura

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

that'll never work at my house Mhambi......my big male cat likes to freakin' stand up in the box to pee.....inbetween a squat and a stand.....pee rolls down the sides of the box so I taped plastic inside the top so urine can not leak out......

A litter Maid box would be good and all, but I would find urine all over......ewwwwww!!!!

Novel Idea though!!!!!!!

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have always used Sam's brand clumping litter in my Littermaid. Going on four years now without a single problem that wasn't "cat induced" ;g

When I transferred Missy over into the Littermaid, I dumped the litter from her old box in. The used litter was familiar to her and had her smell too.

One thing she did do when I first got it was jump in then sit beside it watching for it to sweep. Afterwards, she jumped back in then watched...I can't tell you how many times she did this.

9. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

lol
    Mine would hiss and swipe at it when it worked. And I had three then, so it was going quite often. He finally refused to go in it and started peeing on the floor. I put a regular box out for him and the other two just moved over to it ;g Finally broke and I threw it away.

But I *loved* the idea...

Laura

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If my box died today, I would be a Petsmart first thing tomorrow to buy another! It has to be the best money I have ever spent :)

I was so skeptical when I first heard about them. I finally bought mine when Petsmart told me I could return it, even used, if the cat refused to use it. They told me I could try it for 30 days then decide. That sold me ;e

11. kawalerzysta

kawalerzysta

once a month? With ferret I got to change it every 2-3 days :)