IT workers what will you do?

1556 Views 24 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Jon_R
Reactions: Pierre!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· NRA Life Member
5,779 Posts

· Banned
45,550 Posts
Get paid for hacking, instead of for fun.

Reactions: hooligan74

· Registered
5,394 Posts
Whats the news story? I mean yea I see the link but that kind of thing has been happening for years and years. It's like any other industry. Sometimes ya get laid off and gotta find somewhere else. The nice thing though, is that pretty much every company needs IT people, so there are plenty of jobs.

My personal thing though, I only work for IT companies. While other companies (like Disney) have IT departments. They see them as a cost, not a revenue generator. So it leads to a whole lot more BS and layoffs and such.

I did the one man consultant thing for a while before I decided to go back and work for a company. All of my clients were non IT companies that just needed some IT work. They didn't know, or care to know anything about IT. They just wanted the product.

· Registered
5,394 Posts
It's also part of another trend. Some companies, usually big name companies everyone had heard of play political games to get more H1B visa workers into the country.

H1Bs are supposed to be used only in cases where workers can't be found in the US in sufficient numbers or with sufficient skills. But like I said, political games.

It's been going on for a while, but actually the overall trend seems to be bringing IT back into the states. Places like India and such aren't as cheap as they used to be. The quality of the work never really was good, and the language barrier and time difference can be project killers at times.

Alot of companies are setting up IT centers in more rural areas of the US now. Cheaper cost of living, so cheaper to set up and run. No language barrier, 3 hour time difference max, etc etc. Most companies are finding that's working out better for them.

· Registered
5,394 Posts
I love how at the end of the article it says that Disney only employes 10 H1B visa workers. That's probably technically true. But the Indian company they hired to take over IT is sending over all H1B visa workers.

Which BTW, have a six year term. However I think you can only be in the US for a max of 3 years at a time. Not sure how long between times you have to be out of the country.

So basically, they are never going to have someone with more than 3ish years experience in those positions again.

· Raven
12,746 Posts
Not a new phenomenon. It happens. Usually not that overtly, but it happens. Usually you end up documenting everything and bringing overseas teams into your projects and one day you get a severance package and are laid off so they can take over. They rarely do your job as well as you. Most of the time American resources are required to continually correct them and keep them from messing up. Very often the company finds themselves insourcing after outsourcing.

Its unusual that these sort of shenanigans leave a good IT person in a real bind unless they happen during a recession/depression.

· Registered
5,394 Posts
Its unusual that these sort of shenanigans leave a good IT person in a real bind unless they happen during a recession/depression.
Even then, if they live in an area that has a good market it isn't a problem. I live in Columbus Ohio, not really because I love it here (It's okay, not great but it's okay) but because the IT job market (and really most job markets in the city) are very strong.

I got laid off in 2008 from one job on a Friday morning around 10am. I went home and hit up my contacts for any leads on openings. I had another Job interview at 3pm that day and was hired on the spot.

Unemployed for a grand total of around 5 hours. Actually it worked out great in the end. I got 10% of my salary from the first place plus my paycheck I was due on the next Friday and my new job was about a 15% pay raise.

Granted a lot of luck was involved that story. But I have no doubt if that didn't work out like that it still wouldn't have been very long at all for me to find something else.

· NRA Member
3,649 Posts
The script readers are really the people it will hurt. I've worked with so many IT script readers that have no idea what they are actually doing. If a problem isn't covered in their script, or they get lost, the call gets escalated.

· NRA Life Member
5,779 Posts
Been doing that for 10 years now....
I have probably 10 in now as consulting, did a nice stint with a Financial Advisor for 13 years. All together over 25 years now in IT/Technology.

No matter how I try to shake it, it keeps being a nice money maker!!!
:D

Reactions: hooligan74

· Registered
2,123 Posts
All I can say is that every time I get an IT person in a technical support area on the phone and I can't understand half of what they say, I just tell them I want to speak to an 'American who actually speaks English'. Tough chit if they're offended.

· Registered
788 Posts
I've been in IT for 20+ years and I learned a while back to hold onto a good bit of information.

I'm not populating the KB with information they can use to try to replace me for less money, period.

· Registered
95 Posts
They can typically only get away with doing this with the lower / more entry level positions. It's that much harder to find good talent when outsourcing, you can replace the grunt work that way, but if you want to hire some highly qualified automation engineers and/or expect any level of programming out of them, you will be hiring the best you can find, not the bottom of the barrel.

Of course, I'd never want to work for Disney anyway, they're pretty high up on my companies-i-don't-like list.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.