close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IT job resume

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Blitzo, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Blitzo

Blitzo

I got an offer to take a very decent entry level IT job. I am required to fill out an app and submit a resume. I am currently attending school for Network Admin. I need to create a resume as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some tips on making a resume. If anyone on here hires IT workers what do you look for in a resume? I have very limited time to create this but still need it to look professional. Its kinda tricky because I don't have any IT expierence in the business field.

2. lens

lens

Haven't done it myself in ages, but "What Color is my Parachute" was always a good book with tips on resumes and job hunting. Should be available at your local public library or book store.

3. Blitzo

Blitzo

thanks for the tip, its kinda late for that now but I will consider it later. I needed my resume done quick and so far so good I need to finish it later tonight and submit it tomorrow. I searched google for a couple of samples and templates and got soem help from a few instructors.

4. neeko

neeko

heres a sanitized version of mine
    remove the .txt extension, GT doesn't allow RTF files

5. Cassius

Cassius

I have hired for an entry-level IT position before.

I preferred 1 page resumes. I'd read the longer ones but they annoyed me.

I looked for skills, not degrees or awards or dean's/honor lists or anything like that.

I basically threw away anything with typos or mispellings (misspellings is also acceptable =P), because I figured if somebody doesn't care enough to spellcheck/have someone proofread their resume, then they would care even less about the job if they got it.

Beyond that, to be honest I cared more about in-person interviews than I cared about what was on the resume. But those are the criteria I used to determine who I called to come in for an interview.

6. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Years ago.. before I retired.. and before Delphi went into CH11.. a potential IT employee would need at least a BS in the field (IT or CS) just to get an interview in the IT group.. now.. even those guys are looking for jobs..

As of Jan 1 the IT market in the US just got tighter.. Delphi dumped almost all of it's direct hire IT group in favor of contracting it all out to HP and EDS.. That put a lot of guys with a lot of degrees, certifications and experience back on the IT market.. pounding the pavement.. looking for jobs..

7. Blitzo

Blitzo

Thanks for all your input!!

Neeko thanks alot for posting that sample I found a useful bit of information :)

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My boss told me that although she appreciated my Computer Science degree, "Eagle Scout" was what really caught her eye.

Sometimes things that have little to do with your field can still pay off.