It happened...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by gadgetguy1288, Oct 25, 2010.

1. gadgetguy1288

gadgetguy1288 Coastie Tweet

I apologize in advance as this might get a little long winded.

First off: I know I'm going to get flamed for this and its my own damned fault for being so stupid, that said, I have pretty thick skin so say what you will. I'll never hold it against someone for posting their opinion

Second: Lets try and keep all the "your an idiot" posts to a minimum. This post is incredibly hard for me actually put down, and I post it only to advocate caution, so that maybe it'll save just one person from doing what I did.

This morning started off just great. I had duty Saturday and we always get a 2 day weekend so I had today off of work. I started the morning off by doing the usual, browsing the misc forums of which I am a member for any new happenings. On one of these forums someone had posted up a question as to whether a Magpul moe stock would work on an 870 with a Mesa LEO adapter and a reddot. Well since I had an MOE on my 15-22 and a Mesa adapter and red dot on my 870 I decided to give it a try. I went to fetch both guns and unloaded the 6 00buck shell that I keep in the shotgun. I removed the MOE from the 15-22 and the standard carbine stock from the 870. I had the MOE resting upright in my lap as I was trying to line up the buffer tube on the Mesa adapter of the 870. Well I missed, and slipped. And as the shotgun fell to the floor it caught on my pants and fired.(I will stop right here and say that if you have never heard a shotgun fire indoors, it is loud, especially if your not expecting it.) Now it turns out that I had in fact taken out all 6 shells that I though I put in, however it was not only 6 that were in my gun, apparently I put in 7 and didn't realize it. So the first thing that went through my mind was oh my god what the hell just happened, after a few seconds I realized what just happened and immediately picked it up and racked it several more times to insure that it was now unloaded. I looked around to see what damaged, after checking myself. I was scared ****less and at this point shaking like a leaf. I called the police to report what happened, then I called the property manager(I live in an apartment complex), and then called my unit to let them know what happened. About the time I got off the phone with my unit, several officers showed up and insured all of the weapons in the house were unloaded, and a couple of crime scene guys also showed up to take an inventory and pictures of the damage. After talking to the deputies for about an hour and a half I had to be taken to the station to talk to the magistrate, as at this point they weren't sure if they were going to have to charge me with anything. Turns out all the statutes deal with willfull property damage and the scare I gave myself after it happened was enough. I can pick up all of my weapons the end of this week after they run checks on them to ensure they are legal and what not(protocol I guess, and I was still feeling pretty damned lucky that no one was hurt and I only had to pay for the damages). Turns out the damages were 2 window panels(one from my window, one from the neighboring apartments), several sections of siding and a few sheets of drywall(all from the other apartment). I thank god that no one was hit and that it was only property damage that resulted from my **** up and believe me I never thought this could happen to me because I always double and triple checked every firearm I ever handled, except this one time. Its really just like anyone that goes through this type of thing says, you never think it can happen to you, until it does. I'm still incredibly pissed off at myself and angry/embarrassed at myself more than anything and I don't expect those feelings to go away for a while.

I only hope that this can prevent this from happening to even just one person. because the two loudest sounds you will ever hear are a click when you want to hear a bang, or a bang when you want to hear a click.

2. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the ever important real world reminder of gun safety. Im glad no one was hurt physically, including yourself.

3. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Wow. You are an incredibly lucky individual. You could have blown your own head off or worse, killed someone else. You are also lucky that you are not being thrown out of your apartment, and the guy across the way didnt try to kill you for it either.

All that said, you definately learned your lesson, and yes, people will now come in and call you stupid and all the things that go with that.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Glad everyone is OK. These things happen all too often. We get complacent and have a lapse in judgement. A good friend put a 9mm through his foot earlier this year. He wasn't paying attention when he was taking his carry gun off at nught. Hopefully we can all be a little safer from your experience. Property damage is a pretty cheap lesson.

5. Rutha73

Rutha73

Glad to hear there were no injuries, thanks for sharing your story. Every time I hear a ND story I am suprised as to how it happens, seems like everyone is unique. A friend I work with who is a Marine said that there was a sign at the gate of the bae in Iraq, as they were leaving the base for patrols or whatever they were doing in Iraq they went by a sign that said "Complacency Kills" and that has stuck in my mind. If you get too complacent and lax something bad can happen. One of the things I learned was to stick my finger in the chamber when I clear a gun also, so far that has made sure I haven't had any NDs.

6. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Glad nobody was hurt. Rule number 1 of firearms handling... Safety. Treat em all as though they were loaded and always always always check and double check the CHAMBER to make sure it is unloaded before handling for cleaning or maintance

7. AA#5

AA#5

As long as you learn from it, (which you did), AOK - especially since it was only property damage. I've never had an ND or AD in 38 years of handling guns but....I'm a bit paranoid about checking chambers & mags - especially with pumps & lever actions where rounds in tube mags are a bit harder to see.

8. Caver 60

Caver 60

Things happen when you get complacent.

About 30 years ago I was target shooting my 30-30 Marlin. If I were a betting person, I would have bet my bank account that I had loaded exactly three rounds of ammo in the rifle. I fired three rounds, opened the action and laid it on the bench with the action open. I didn't actually look in the chamber.

When the range was clear, I started to walk forward to check my target. Someone said 'there's a round in that rifle.' I couldn't believe they were talking about my rifle until I looked, and sure enough there was a round laying there in the open action waiting only for the bolt to be closed.

Nothing bad happened, but it sure teaches you a lesson.

9. jp3975

jp3975

Christmas Day...the whole family was over. ND'd into the floor with a new SR9 while dry firing it. Wasnt paying attention to what i was doing and put a full mag in. Reset the stiker with the mag in not thinking I pulled it far back enough to chamber a round.

Learned a valuable lesson that day and have been safe as possable from then on.

Happens to the best of us. Just take it as a life lesson and try not to feel bad about it.

10. ctfireman

ctfireman

Very happy to hear nobody was hurt & thank you very much for sharing.......i'm sure you had to swallow alot of pride to post it on glocktalk. I caught myself recently, i dry fire practice alot & never put a gun in the safe with a round in the chamber....so i thought. I usually unholster whatever gun i'm carrying at the time, eject the live round, put the round back in the mag, then store the gun with a loaded mag & clear chamber. The other day my sister & 3 little nieces paid me a visit & as the doorbell rang i took the gun off & put it in the safe (beretta 96). Later on i took it out to dryfire, cocked the hammer, then realized what i didn't do. I racked the slide & what do you know......a bonded pdx1 flies out! Always check the chamber!!! It shook me up.

11. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Thanks for posting your story as a reminder to the rest of us to practice proper gun safety ALWAYS.

Glad your okay but you honestly didnt need to call the cops and deal with all that BS, its just one shot other people will just think its a car backfiring or something.

12. Mungrol

Mungrol Wanabe Like RTN

Glad to hear nobody was hurt and that all will turn out ok. I would love to jump on the bandwagon and say you were stupid etc. but evey time I point a finger at someone I have three fingers pointing back at me. Plus it seems that I jinx myself and end up doing something worse than what I am calling someone else out on.

Thanks for the reminder, Keep it safe.

Mungrol.

13. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie

At least no one was hurt.

I'm sure you'll be more careful next time.

Safety first, last and always.

14. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

We can all laugh at this one. The next one however...? Diligence, my friend. Diligence. :wavey:

15. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

I'm sort of surprised that nobody has commented on the weapons being seized. I'm sure GadgetGuy was under duress and waived any rights and let them take them (I don't mean any offense by saying this, I would do the same thing), but come on.

Why would they need every weapon and why from a Monday to a Friday? They could have run the serial numbers from the squad cars or over their own radios. There were several there, so it couldn't have taken that long. Now he's unarmed for a week to make sure that some serial numbers check out, which could have been done in 5 minutes.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you and everyone else is OK. I do think that you shouldn't have given up your property that was completely unrelated to the incident.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  16. Stubudd

Stubudd

thanks for posting, maybe you'll spare somebody the same experience...

everybody be careful

17. jp3975

jp3975

You must have skimmed.

Bullet/shot went into another apartment.

Normally I would agree with you provided it didnt pass through to the outside.

18. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure there is some standard procedure to follow if a criminal act had been committed......but, this? Why in the world would something like this require confiscation?

To the OP......this will be a cheap lesson. I'm sure you will spend a lifetime recalling this incident......each and every time you need to clear a firearm.

hog

19. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

It occurred to me after I made the above post......there are two mistakes the OP made. The first, is to properly clear, or make sure the shotgun was unloaded.

The second is, in order for this to have happened, the safety would have to be........OFF.

hog

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  20. Facejackets

Facejackets

Gald you are ok.

Do you have pics of the damage? I think it could be good thing to see what kind of damage a firearm can do.