Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to understand what's going on with my gen 3 G17. When I rack the slide with the trigger in the rearward (fired) position and ease it forward it hangs up a short distance from battery. The odd part is that it goes to battery when I release the pressure on the trigger. This only happens when I ride the slide & doesn't seem to be a real issue if I slingshot it. The question is what going on, what part of the trigger mechanism is holding the slide until I release the trigger?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im curious as well. I read somewhere that if the slide hangs up while riding it that the guide rod spring is too weak, but heard elsewhere that there is no reason to ever ride the slide. My 19 would hang up when I had the reduced power connector from lone wolf installed. When I put the stock connector back in, the problem went away. Do you have any modifications to gun?

·
1 WILD PIG
290 Posts
You either need to clean and oil the pistol or replace the recoil spring. It should go back into battery while holding the trigger back and easing the slide forward, even while pointing the (EMPTY) pistol upward - which is how you check to see if the recoil spring is too weak.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You either need to clean and oil the pistol or replace the recoil spring. It should go back into battery while holding the trigger back and easing the slide forward, even while pointing the (EMPTY) pistol upward - which is how you check to see if the recoil spring is too weak.
It's a brand new gun with 250 rounds through it. It's been cleaned & lubed since the last use.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Maybe but it would happen with all of them if that's the case wouldn't it?
This a new gun; the contact points haven't polished themselves against each other yet. The plunger has to slide up the trigger bar and slide into its channel. If you have one of the new trigger bars with the nub to keep it centered on the plunger, that could be a difference in that it has some friction with the slide and the bar can't slide partially around the side of the plunger. Quit worrying until it quits working.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This a new gun; the contact points haven't polished themselves against each other yet. The plunger has to slide up the trigger bar and slide into its channel. If you have one of the new trigger bars with the nub to keep it centered on the plunger, that could be a difference in that it has some friction with the slide and the bar can't slide partially around the side of the plunger. Quit worrying until it quits working.
I'm not worrying about anything, the gun works fine when I shoot it. I'm just trying to understand what's happening. The trigger bar has the funky spring tab but doesn't have the centering bump. The slide stops about ¼" from battery & if I finesse the trigger I can make it move forward a little at a time by decreasing and increasing the pressure on it so it's definitely trigger bar related. I'll chaulk it up to tolerance stacking & see if it goes away with more rounds through the gun. I have a serrated trigger/bar from a G19 around here somewhere & I might swap it out to see if it still happens.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I'd like to understand what's going on with my gen 3 G17. When I rack the slide with the trigger in the rearward (fired) position and ease it forward it hangs up a short distance from battery. The odd part is that it goes to battery when I release the pressure on the trigger. This only happens when I ride the slide & doesn't seem to be a real issue if I slingshot it. The question is what going on, what part of the trigger mechanism is holding the slide until I release the trigger?
Two possible problems.

1.Recoil spring need replacement

2. Debris and carbon build up in striker safety plunger and spring chamber. Clean with alcohol and q tip also clean the striker channel and extractor chamber.

This is what I have seen cause the conditions you describe..:wavey:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Two possible problems.

2. Debris and carbon build up in striker safety plunger and spring chamber. Clean with alcohol and q tip also clean the striker channel and extractor chamber.

Thanks, I'll give the cleaning a go. I don't think it's the recoil spring assembly because it's brand new but since anything is possible I put in my spare & see what happens.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two possible problems.

I just tried replacing the spring assembly with a brand new spare & it still does it. I'll strip the slide tomorrow & go over the other items that you suggested. Thanks for the tips.

·
MacGyver
7,497 Posts
Since this is a new gun, you are wasting (our/ur) time looking for issues.

Shoot the damn thing until a real problem arises. Slingshot that slide full force, without the slide release, to load it each time. Abuse the tailpipe out of it, it likes it hard.

Call us back after 1000 rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
It doesn't seem to be an issue but.....

That's because it's not an issue. Your gun fires fine - you stated that yourself. If you truly want to "understand what's going on" take it to an armorer. Otherwise shoot it and quit wasting bandwidth here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To confirm that all is well, fire a round and make sure you hold the trigger back after firing. With the trigger still depressed, check to see if the slide fully returned to battery. I'd run a couple mags through, checking the slide with the trigger depressed after each round. If it returned to battery each time, all is well. If not call Glock. A few hundred more round will probably resolve your problem.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since this is a new gun, you are wasting (our/ur) time looking for issues.

Shoot the damn thing until a real problem arises. Slingshot that slide full force, without the slide release, to load it each time. Abuse the tailpipe out of it, it likes it hard.

Call us back after 1000 rounds.

If you don't like what I post just hit the page down key. You're the one wasting your own time pal.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It doesn't seem to be an issue but.....

That's because it's not an issue. Your gun fires fine - you stated that yourself. If you truly want to "understand what's going on" take it to an armorer. Otherwise shoot it and quit wasting bandwidth here.
Sure, we'll reserve the bandwith for all the "yippee, I got a new Glock" threads and all the ensuing "Congrats" replies and asinine replies like yours.

·
MacGyver
7,497 Posts
I think you need to replace all the springs in the gun first, as well as the slide lever.

In fact your slide rails may be off alignment-- check it with a micrometer to make sure both sides are even.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts