close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Issuing a challenge to someone...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nam02G, Mar 31, 2010.

1. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Nobody here. :wavey:

Here is the back story: We have a young volunteer firefighter that is in horrible physical shape. I'm 46, he's 21 and I can stomp him into the ground doing our physical agility test. He does't appear to have the strength or stamina that is required to do the job. Last summer we did a firefighter combat challenge type course and he barely finished and ended up on oxygen, which earned him the nickname Heatstroke. He does have a big heart and tries really hard. He is in danger of being kicked out and I'd like to help him prevent that.

So here is my plan, and I've talked to him and he seems open to it, I'm going to teach him how to work out with kettlebells, my prefered tool, and set him up with some workouts to do for the next 2 months. The idea being that if he really wants to stay in he will stick with the workouts. Here is the dilemna I'm having. What's a good way to measure his progress? I'm sure I can come up with something but I thought I'd throw it out for ideas. What do you guys think.

2. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

time him in that agility test and if at the end of two months he doesnt improve his time considerably then :steamed: if he does then :supergrin:

3. nam02G

That's a good idea. Too bad it can't be done right now. Our training tower is an integral part of the agility test and it has been shut down due to possible structural problems. I can come up with something else and use that idea though. Thanks.

4. fyrman273

fyrman273

I second eaglesfan55. Test him to get a baseline standard and then test him again later. Another suggestion would be to break up the individual sections of the challenge and test him in those categories separately. This way, you can monitor him more frequently. Check out Rosstraining or crossfit.com for a plethora of ideas. Great source of combat conditioning info. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

Pick one of the agility tests (an easier one) and have him do it every Friday. As his performance improves, his desire to continue training will increase.

6. Sierra9

Sierra9

Sounds like someone who needs a good physical exam to rule out an underlying cardiopulmonary problem first.

7. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Tape measure around his gut?:dunno:

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

He needs cardio not any kind of weight training etc.. Fast pace walks working towards jogging will get him into condition.

9. nam02G

Good point. I'll have to ask him when he last had a physical. I've been assuming that his 'problem' with getting stronger is either from not being dedicated to working out or not doing anything that is really beneficial because he doesn't really know how to go about it.

10. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

This

Get his butt running.

11. nam02G

He claims to already be running. Cardio only takes you just so far in this game. Strength is needed too.

12. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

i said it in another thread here on weight loss but plyometrics are one of if not the most effective 'get fit' routines out there. they involve high stress cardio movements and use your own body weight against itself to quickly gain lean muscle.

my lacrosse coach introduced me to them, and by introduced i mean we had to do them for half an hour before practice every day. it is a high impact routine/training method but being 21 he should have no problem w/ it. start him off in typical gym clothes and after two weeks or so start wearing equipment like pants and boots then the next week add a jacket and so on.

13. blueiron

blueiron

Are there PT standards?

If not, it is time to initiate them. If there are stardards and you are his supervisor, hold him to them. If you are not his supervisor, then let him fail on his own. It is not worth getting sued over.

The kid is going to have a cardiac soon enough on a fireground, if he thinks that the Fire Service is nothing but red lights and big trucks.