Issue with my G19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JHCJR, Aug 5, 2015.

1. JHCJR

JHCJR

Just purchased this pistol last week and hadn't had time to fire it. The round won't feed. Gets hung up on the firing pin.

2. MajorD

MajorD

You are probably trying to ride the slide forward gently causing it to hang up ( most people myself included would discourage you from simply hand cycling rounds through a gun other than to load it to shoot or carry)
    I have seen many guns that will hand cycle certain loads fine but not run them at the range and vice versa. Simply put you can not predict function based on how a semi auto cycles by hand.

3. JHCJR

JHCJR

I was just trying to chamber it as I have any other pistol.

4. Sgt127

Sgt127

"On the firing pin."

Are you saying the firing pin is sticking out of the breechface when you operate the slide?

If so. Stop. Something is very wrong.

5. JHCJR

JHCJR

Correct

6. The Viking

The Viking

7. stricky

stricky Unknown to Me

Was it new or used?

8. JHCJR

JHCJR

9. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Take the slide off the frame, and take out the RSA and barrel. Look at the safety plunger, does it reset or has the safety plunger spring now not in its proper position(under safety plunger). If its not the end cap of the slide will have to be removed and re-assembly will be required.

10. phalanxr

phalanxr

That doesn't sound safe at all...

11. stricky

stricky Unknown to Me

If you are not familiar with Glocks get it checked out. They are not that complicated and someone with experience should be able to see what is wrong. You can always call Glock and ship it to them, take it to a local armorer, or if there is a GSSF match near you they have people that will check it.

If you want some more advise here take some close picture of the insides for us.

12. JHCJR

JHCJR

You guys are awesome

13. JHCJR

JHCJR

Ran it by my gun guy, and he couldn't find anything wrong. Blamed the ammo. He tried some federal and couldn't replicate the issue. Now, I've ran this ammo through my other 9mms without issue. I'm running Freedom Munitions ball range rounds. New.

14. Mike-M

Mike-M

Making sure there is no live ammo anywhere around, cycle the slide fully over an empty magazine. Pull the trigger, then pull the slide back until the empty magazine locks it open.
    1. Look at the firing pin opening in the breechface. It is normal for the firing pin to be obviously protruding out from the breechface THE FIRST TIME THE SLIDE IS OPENED AFTER A DRY FIRE.
    2. Let the slide go forward by depressing the slide stop lever. Pull the slide back fully until it locks back. The firing pin point should be retracted behind the breechface. If it still protrudes in front of the breechface then the firing pin shaft behind the point has broken. If it has retracted properly, continue to step 3.
    3. Repeat step 1. Use your index finger to push the firing pin point back into the breechface. This should be easily accomplished without any finger pain. If it is difficult to push back into the breechface, then the firing pin channel and/or the firing pin safety needs a very good cleaning after slide disassembly.
    4. Examine the triangular profile of the firing pin point. It is normal for the lower edge of the firing pin point to lightly score the outer surface of the cartridge head as the head rides up and onto the lower firing pin edge while forcing the firing pin back. (If that process doesn't push the firing pin back fully, then that will occur when the firing pin is retracted as it engages the rear of the trigger bar as the slide goes forward.) BUT...IF the lower edge of the firing pin point has lost its angled surface that rides against the rim of the cartridge head, that can cause a hang-up in the cartridge feed process, especially when feeding occurs under slow slide hand-cycling conditions.

It is also possible that improper firing pin spring cup installation is binding free firing pin travel.

My best guess is that your pistol needs only a complete slide disassembly, cleaning, and proper re-assembly.

harold63 likes this.
  15. JHCJR

JHCJR

It isn't hanging up in the firing pin, that's clear. It's locking up on the extractor. The hook of the extractor is hooking on the rim of the round. I'll post pics in a little while. On my phone

16. HGxyz

HGxyz

But are you riding the slide, trying to ease the round into the chamber? Even if that works on some pistols, the right way is to pull the slide fully back and let it go with full force. It's not clear so far if this is what you are doing.

17. JHCJR

JHCJR

Yes, I pull back and let go.

18. JBP55

JBP55

Sounds as if the pistol works with decent ammunition.

19. JHCJR

JHCJR

Same result with Hornady.

20. GregP220

GregP220

Sounds like your slide may have been improperly reassembled.