close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Israel's new tax hike, austerity and $70 billion reserve

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockPistola, Aug 17, 2012.

1. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

http://www.haaretz.com/business/isr...tax-hike-budget-cuts-package.premium-1.456411

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/158866#.UCkJD0SwXqM

This is interesting. So Israel just passed a tax hike and new austerity measures, yet it was revealed that they have a 70 billion dollar reserve to protect the economy from collapse as a result of war with Iran. So here is some food for thought.

1)Why is the government increasing taxes and ordering austerity when they have a reserve? Israelis are not happy with this: http://news.yahoo.com/israelis-protest-tax-hikes-lack-universal-enlistment-205652101.html.

2)Maybe it is time for Israel to start giving us Foreign Aid :whistling: especially if they want us to go to war with Iran, which could be the final push over the edge for our weak economy.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

3. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

first.. $70 billion is not much of a shield when it relates to a entire countries economy

second....ive not heard israel ask for any U.S help

if anything the U.S goverment begs the nation of israel not to take action..(i guess only we have the right to take any kind of millitary stand in the world)

and i seem to remember alittle thing called the october war where the israel's fought syria and egypt at the same time with the USSR supporting said arabs.

im sure ill get flak for this but im going to say it...if the IDF had all the money that they needed and the best and newest technology id say they would give even U.S forces a run for thier money how do you say tough sob's in hebrew?

4. Ummagumma

Ummagumma

The two countries that get most "aid" from the US are Israel and Egypt.
    Back in the Cold War days, the Israel aid was done to offset the incredible amounts of military technology the Arabs were getting from the USSR either free or at nominal cost. Now I believe it's done mainly so that Israel would restrain from action when we ask them to, and wouldn't sell their own technology to the countries we don't like but they aren't enemy with (like Venezuela). As I read, the US aid to Israel comes with strings attached - we give them $$ but most of it has to be spent on buying our weapons, so it's as much a corporate welfare for our weapons industry as it is aid to Israel.

If the entire Middle East was isolated from the rest of the world, in 10 years Israelis would rule it (not sure how long they would be able to sustain this, though).

As to the $70 bln - this is not a whole lot, even for a small but well developed country like theirs. Seems like a smart policy to me, it's better than not to leave any cash reserves in face of a probable war.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  5. 220-9er

220-9er

I think we give them around 3 billion a year in military aid and some more in economic assistance. So they are raising rest of the 70 themselves.

6. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Guys, this is how a country is SUPPOSED to be run! Would you run your household into massive debt or have 6-12 months worth of bill payments in savings?

7. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

1. Because it's the smart way to run a country. No debts, cash reserves. We and the rest of the world are just too ****ing stupid to follow their lead.

2. Well, we SHOULD stop providing them with any aid at this point. They've got themselves covered.

3. We're not going to war with Iran.

4. Israel is smart, they're getting ready for a possible world-wide economic melt-down.

8. Brucev

Brucev

They are increasing taxes to pay for the cost of providing those services which the israeli voters require as expressed through their elected representatives.

The reserve cited is not massive by any stretch of the imagination.

If we want to reduce our spending, the simple thing is to cut israel off from the federal tit. After all, they supposedly have a problem with pork, etc. So, cut them off. Just think U.S.S. Liberty and jonathan pollard.

9. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

I completely agree that $70 billion is nothing, but more likely that is not the real figure, probably a zero missing there somewhere. In terms of aid to Israel, at this point with the state of our economy we should be suspending all foreign aid. Israel is doing pretty well and they are bad arses with an arse kicking military, a nuclear power (even though they don't like to admit it) and have a superior intelligence service (superior to ours definitely). The other problem with aid to Israel is as Ummagumma posted above, that it comes with strings attached. I'd say let them handle their business anyway they want and protect their nation as they see fit without our government calling the shots or firing the shots for that matter. In terms of helping them fight a war with Iran (or taking the lead as might end up being the case) hell no! I don't think Israel's soldiers are committing suicide like our men and women are: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438024

10. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

Minus the tax hikes.

11. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

LMAO...Really? Yeah, then America is damn fool country for giving them a slim dime. My guess is that in 10 years you would have to go to another country to find a Jewish person.