Israeli Carry Method

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by joepa150, Jan 15, 2010.

1. joepa150

joepa150

I don't want to make this another thread about who carrys one in the chamber and who doesn't due to the abundance of those threads. I personally carry with one chambered.

Anyone see this video? I think that a lot of people will have a difficult time racking the slide in a stressful situation. Also you would have to practice a lot to become fluent with drawing, racking, and firing. This video does show with practice that not carrying one in the chamber isn't always much slower but a couple tenths of a second could mean your life. One good point I see mentioned about not having one chambered is if you were disarmed. This would give you a chance not to get shot and to disarm and immobilize your enemy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj9UMUChV-I

2. shnev

shnev We The People

That dude is really slow. IMHO(or in fact), if he were reacting to a real gun fight, his movement would have to be much faster and much more dynamic. At times like these racking the slide will only hinder speed and movement. Not only that, while reacting, he would be more threat focused and not gun focused. I could be wrong. Maybe others would like to share their opinions.
    To do Force on Force training with Sim Guns or Airsoft would be a real eye opener to someone who has never done it. Also, if it is just as fast, how come sport shooters that do things like IDPA not use the draw and rack method?

Stay safe,
    shnev

3. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

That dude definitely has more practice with baked goods than glocks.

4. Seayall

Seayall

A couple observations.
    1. Get a better holster
    2. Get a better gun belt.
    3. Hit the gym and lay off the donuts!!

5. luckyrxc

luckyrxc

Wow, where did he learn that fancy 'hip check'? And to think that it would have taken him only 1.5 seconds to put on safety glasses before making this video.

6. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I am not a fan of unchambered carry, but that is just my opinion.

Without turning this into a debate over that, it seems one of the main training aspects of the "Israeli Carry Method" is training to be able to rack the slide without the use of both hands.

In close quarters, you may not be afforded the use of you support hand to rack the slide. You may be fending off an attack or trying to push another innocent third party out of the way. As such I feel that this is the true crux of the issue and not the small difference in time until the gun can be fired. This video does demonstrate the timed difference of drawing from concealment and racking the slide, but has skipped over this important key priniciple of the Israeli method.

The subtitles in the video for unchambered should have read "It took 2.4 seconds and both hands"

Interesting point, but what makes you think the bad guy won't simply rack the slide (because it doesn't take that long, remember?) and shoot you all the same? Are we assuming that all bad guys have no knowledge of how an automatic pistol operates? In addition, I feel that carrying unchambered in an attempt to mitigate a takeaway has not solved the root of the problem... which is the inability (perceived or actual) of the user to retain his/her sidearm.

7. Vic777

Vic777

If the BG disables one of your hands before you draw ... you're pooched if you don't have one in the pipe.

8. kfbleich

kfbleich Po-Po

Wow....
    He really needs some dry fire work to iron out that draw....
    He looks like he is trying to work out a kink in his back when he draws....

9. Comp_sH00teR24

Comp_sH00teR24

boy it sure would be nice to count on that extra 0.3sec and having both hands available to chamber a round after drawing in a real life-or-death situation. Anyone that doesn't carry with a round in the chamber should wipe their vag and get over their irrational fears of modern firearms going boom by themselves.

10. kfbleich

kfbleich Po-Po

Also, I don't think that this guy has a clue how to correctly execute an "israeli draw".....based on where the gun is pointing and his arm position when he racks the slide....

11. kfbleich

kfbleich Po-Po

:popcorn:

12. Spence

Spence

Probably needs the hip check to get the gun out from under his fat.

13. joepa150

joepa150

14. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

It's amazing how much substandard stuff (technique and gear) has been foisted upon less informed folks by saying it's "Israeli". They are a badass culture, but FOBUS and empty chamber carry are bottom of the barrel choices, not Israel's claims to fame when it comes to badassery.

15. dosei

dosei

If your going to carry empty, best to get a rig that's built to chamber a round while you draw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5H2GYOhKtM

Back in the late 70's or 80's, somebody came out with a holster for 1911 style pistols that chambered a round during the draw.

Like many others here, I'm not a fan of having a draw that requires both hands. And racking the slide without using your "free hand" makes for a much slower draw.

...but thanks for the vid link...watching the slow-mo was :rofl:

16. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

We have a winner! Most of the problem with folks talking about how bad the Israeli Carry is is that they have no idea how to do it correctly, have never been trained in it, and look at only one small part of the CCW paradigm, that of the "fast draw". It is always amazing to me that so many talk about how bad chamber empty carry is when we have decades of it being used with great success and none of the problems so many invent for it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  17. GlocksterPaulie

GlocksterPaulie Perfectionist

Can we just make the Israeli draw/carry technique a "sticky" It is getting old.

Paulie:dunno:

18. 2 Hawks

2 Hawks ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+1 Well said

19. jeepinrrt

jeepinrrt

In the REVISED video he posted he goes all ambidextrous? Why? I watched it a few times to make sure I was seeing what I though I was seeing.

20. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Any system you train in, will beat the system you DON'T train in.

And Israeli carry was made the standard to lower the incidence of ND's, which it did. Which is why they don't change it to something faster.