Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently began utilizing a snub J-Frame for certain off-duty security gigs but as a rule I prefer to have holsters with retention for OWB work carry. It appears that Safariland made a 6378 ALS (model:6378-01-411) holster for the j-frame but it has been discontinued. Cheaper than dirt has it apparently but I try not to give them my business. If anybody has on that they would sell or knows of another good place to score one I would be interested. Thanks.

Product Bag Sleeve Collar Auto part

·
Registered
804 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
6,668 Posts
That’s interesting. Can’t say I have ever heard of an off duty officer carrying a j-frame outside the waistband. I like it.
Might be easier to find a holster for a G26 or G43/G43X pistol if wanting smaller carry.
Not so much these days, but a jframe carried OWB used to be the standard for detectives and off duty carry.

·
Registered
34,086 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s interesting. Can’t say I have ever heard of an off duty officer carrying a j-frame outside the waistband. I like it.
Might be easier to find a holster for a G26 or G43/G43X pistol if wanting smaller carry.
I have a hellcat and a duty style holster for it but I really like my j-frames. These details call for OWB carry but I have to have some retention. Right now I'm working a detail that calls for body armor and a duty sized pistol but others a jframe is perfect.

30+ years ago.
I've been told I'm an old soul lol.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
I carried a J-frame OWB with a Comp II speedloader in a split six pouch for many years.

I would never carry one as a primary in uniform though. Even for a gravy security gig. It’s just not enough gun IMO. Concealed and plain clothes it’s prolly enough to protect yourself in most circumstances.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I’ve been known to pocket my 638 fairly often off duty, but that’s when I’m wearing blue jeans and a T-shirt. I wouldn’t consider it as primary for anything where I had a higher probability or taking any sort of law enforcement action.

I know you aren’t asking for advice here, but if there is any chance during this part time detail you might be called upon to take law enforcement action, I’d highly suggest you choose something else.

Reactions: John_AZ

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Not so much these days, but a jframe carried OWB used to be the standard for detectives and off duty carry.
Not so much in a Safariland 6378 ALS though… In my day it was Hoyt, Tex Shoemaker, Don Hume, Alessi, and Bianchi.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
This thread made me a bit nostalgic.
I’ve been known to pocket my 638 fairly often off duty, but that’s when I’m wearing blue jeans and a T-shirt. I wouldn’t consider it as primary for anything where I had a higher probability or taking any sort of law enforcement action.

I know you aren’t asking for advice here, but if there is any chance during this part time detail you might be called upon to take law enforcement action, I’d highly suggest you choose something else.
You know, I worked for years in South Central Los Angeles carrying my 6 shot S&W .38 and two speedy loaders for a total of 18 rounds. This was at a time when homicide rates were easily three to four times what they are now, yet somehow I survived. I get it, I carry a lot more firepower today, including a rifle, but the new guys coming on have no concept of counting bullets and using their rounds wisely.

Sleeve Grey Helmet Personal protective equipment Everyday carry

·
Registered
15,768 Posts

You know, I worked for years in South Central Los Angeles carrying my 6 shot S&W .38 and two speedy loaders for a total of 18 rounds. This was at a time when homicide rates were easily three to four times what they are now, yet somehow I survived. I get it, I carry a lot more firepower today, including a rifle, but the new guys coming on have no concept of counting bullets and using their rounds wisely.

View attachment 1005160
3” model 64?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I let the detail dictate the gear. I worked a rap concert the other day where a my 17, a snub, and a vest was what I needed. I was visibly marked as LE in a potentially volatile location.

Others are a polo and some slacks inside of a cell phone shop which will mostly likely be a G19 or 26 with a backup mag and cuffs.

But if I'm sitting in a warehouse or lot in a remote location in the middle of the night the snub, a flashlight, and some cuffs will be about the extent of what I'm bringing.

View attachment 1005160
First agency I worked for a few years back issued smith and wesson model 64s. It was unusual but it gave me an appreciation for wheel guns.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts

View attachment 1005160
I still have my Model 10 and my model 60.
The article covers the newer versions.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I let the detail dictate the gear. I worked a rap concert the other day where a my 17, a snub, and a vest was what I needed. I was visibly marked as LE in a potentially volatile location.

Others are a polo and some slacks inside of a cell phone shop which will mostly likely be a G19 or 26 with a backup mag and cuffs.

But if I'm sitting in a warehouse or lot in a remote location in the middle of the night the snub, a flashlight, and some cuffs will be about the extent of what I'm bringing.

First agency I worked for a few years back issued smith and wesson model 64s. It was unusual but it gave me an appreciation for wheel guns.

Ive ordered from them in the past without issues.

If you want to go really minimalist, these are nice. They roll up pretty small, and fit well in the small pocket of a pair of jeans. I carry them off duty.

I probably wouldn’t carry less than a sub compact gun, but you know your situation better than I do.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

I agree in theory, as well. 11 rounds of 9MM, plus a easier and faster reload of a spare 10-17 rd magazine, is obviously superior than a J frame.

The 60+ year old Sheriff of Volusia county, FL wears a j-frame and he is always in the thick of it. Chopper news cameras have seen him chasing after carjackers and other suspects with his trusty j-frame in hand.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
I agree in theory, as well. 11 rounds of 9MM, plus a easier and faster reload of a spare 10-17 rd magazine, is obviously superior than a J frame.

The 60+ year old Sheriff of Volusia county, FL wears a j-frame and he is always in the thick of it. Chopper news cameras have seen him chasing after carjackers and other suspects with his trusty j-frame in hand.
Can’t decide if I like that or not. Pretty cool he’s still out there with his boys.

I consider myself at the upper end of the proficiency spectrum with a J frame. I have carried one for years and practice with it frequently. Speedloader reloads, partial reloads with speed strips, 25 yard shooting, multiple targets etc....

But no amount of proficiency can fully overcome its obvious limitations.

The J frame is a wonderful backup gun and off-duty concealed carry, but it’s not suitable for a primary these days. A 4” 6 shot with speedloaders, however, is an entirely different animal and most officers just don’t know how capable it is.

These days I’m carrying a P239 9mm off-duty and a baby Glock as my on-duty backup.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I'm decent with a J frame, but that's my "at least I have something" gun, and my daily BUG.

Lately I've been carrying my Gen 4 17 with TLR 1 and a spare mag more than not off duty. The weather is getting colder, and it's not too hard to conceal.

But with the holidays, my perceived threat level is higher. Not to mention Tons of Afghan refugees locally, and rumor mill says that up to 10% could have terror ties...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts