close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is Your 9mm Glock's Ejection Pattern Consistent?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Worn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Yes, the brass all goes to the same place.

50.9%
  2. No, it's all over the place.

49.1%
  1. Worn

Worn

Simple question: Is the ejection pattern from your 9mm Glock consistent and not to the face? Or is it inconsistent, haphazard, unpredictable?

Some people claim to have never experienced the BTF (Brass To Face) phenomenon. But BTF is only a part of the larger question of whether or not your 9mm Glock's ejection pattern is consistent. If functioning properly, there should be some consistency to the ejection pattern. Just saying that you've never experienced BTF is not the same as saying you have a consistent ejection pattern. So, just tell us whether it is consistent and not to the face.

2. strangerjames

strangerjames

I've had four 9mm Glocks.
    I've gotten BTF from all of them at one point or another. Some are worse than others. My 19.3 launches at least 3 per mag at my head.
    Grip is on point and it's not an RSA or underpowered ammo issue.

3. rjr573

rjr573 The Prop Doctor

My old well used G-17 Gen. 2 throws the empties about 6 feet away at the 4 o-clock position in a fairly small area... Doesn't matter if I'm shooting brass case or steel case ammo it's all about the same... Similar results from many other handguns I own....
    No good reason the newer Glocks can't do the same thing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  4. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50

The highly debated erratic ejection has been discussed at great length and kind of beat to death.

I have personally experienced it on occasion. I swapped part 30275 from a gen 4.
    Very few since, is my experience.

Ejection varies on my 9mm's but generally in 4-5 o'clock range.

The most consistent ejection for me in a glock is the .40 and .45.

5. Bish1309

Bish1309

No, I only get hit in the face 1 in 8 times, IIRC.

I seem to only make one in the front pocket per range visit.

The ones that land on top of my head are really the annoying ones. They tend to melt right in.

6. snorth

snorth

My gen 4 19 was fine at first (12th glock) when new but after 300 rounds or so I started getting BTF etc. Looking closely once field stripped I noticed the grooves on both sides of the slide were all gunked up with grainy particals. The coating Glock puts on various parts for rust prevention were coming off and inhibiting slide function. It was a ***** to get it all out and needed gun scrubber under pressure to clear it out. After doing this (and a light re-lube) BTF was gone. Perfect ejection. I even tried to get a malfunction by holding it as loose as possible and it wouldn't. Problem solved.

Ogimachi, John Gutowski and RJMiz like this.
  7. sciolist

sciolist

8. Flyfish-mt

Flyfish-mt

Lol, can't participate in your poll as my 17.4, 26.4 and 43 eject beautifully but the 19.4 I once owned and other 19.4's I've handled have erratic ejection.

9. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

My first G19G3 had a BTF issue, so I sent it back to Smyrna. Glock sent me a new gun and this one doesn’t have the issue. My G26G4 has never had the problem.

10. Leigh

Leigh

All calibers (as best I can recall over the years)...
    NIB Gen 1 1989: G17 3 o'clock tight little pile (maybe 20-15 inches in diameter)
    Used Gen 2 1990: G19 3-4 o'clock a few erratic "flyers" but not too frequently
    Used Gen 3 1992: G26 *see above*
    NIB Gen 3 1994: G27 *see above*
    NIB Gen 3 2004: G26 (second purchase) 3-4 o'clock *see above*
    Used Gen 2 2010: G21 3-4 o'clock tight piles but not near as tight as the G17
    NIB Gen 5 2017: G19 3 o'clock tight piles as tight as G17 (no BTF yet in 450-475 rounds)

As for BTF, I'm a LH shooter and depending on the specific type/brand of autoloader, I've experienced it from darn near every auto at one point or another.
    Glocks (all calibers) may have been 1-2 BTF out of every 100 rounds fired but not really enough to concern me.

11. DrewBone

DrewBone

Shooting mostly indoors I'd hardly notice an erratic ejection pattern coming from any of my firearms, nor would I particularly care unless it was the result of an obvious malfunction.

The occassional brass to the face, or a brass hit/ricochet from an adjacent shooter has never bothered me...it's like working with bees; even the best get stung once in a while...

Anyway, if you think about it, with an ejector and extractor that are held in a consistant and unchanging point/relationship in space, along with a consistantly dimensioned case base, the only thing that could possibly produce an inconsistant ejection pattern would be the introduction of a variable or variables. These variables could be...inconsistant movement/positioning of the ejector, inconsistant movement/positioning of the extractor, inconsitancies in the dimensions of a cartridge base, or differences in the forces generated by a particular brand or load of ammunition. That's it...there are no gremlins or hocus pocus involved, nor do tools or mechanical devices have a mind of their own...all can be explained by just a little bit of observation and investigation into the simple physics that are taking place during the ejection cycle. A chronograph would confirm or discount your ammunition as playing a part in any such erratic ejection.

Considering how some people, even with the same generation and model Glock pistol have ejection issues while others do not, I have no other choice than to take "VARIABLES" for $200 Alex ;)

Identify those variable(s) - and you'll find the cause of your issue(s), which you can then address.

Ogimachi and RocNRoll like this.
  12. fldawgfan

fldawgfan

Every Gen 4 I've ever owned, regardless of caliber, has a consistent ejection pattern. Consistently on top of my head or to my face. I avoid wearing shirts with pockets because I caught 1 or 2 in the right chest pocket. I'm going to replace the extractors in all of them with Apex Tactical's extractor.

rjr573 likes this.
  13. TeaDub

TeaDub

The walls in the indoor lanes where I shoot are too close to be able to tell. They bounce in different directions.

I can say that the guns shoot to where they are aimed consistently. That seems more important than where the brass ends up.... as long as it keeps firing. They do that consistently as well.

newseditor likes this.
  14. rattlegun

rattlegun

The Glock ejectors are not stamped all the same, look at the contact area a normal ejecting Glock and the contact area of a BTF ejector and you will the defects in stamping causing the problem.

The fix is to redress the ejector or throw the dice and buy a new one.

15. RKLOMP

RKLOMP

My two GEN 5's have been very consistant throwing my cases all to the right and away from my face or body, much better than some of my other Glocks..

16. Rocketsteve

Rocketsteve Army Vet Silver Member

No BTF with my G19 Gen 3.

17. MisterHelix

MisterHelix

I only have gen4 glocks, they have the updated ejector.

Honestly, I'm too busy running the drill, getting of the X, and pumping rounds into the silhouette to give a crap where my brass lands. As long as the little machine keeps going bangbangbangbangbang and holes keep appearing somewhere near the a-zone...zero fks.

18. harold63

harold63

Only have 3 9mm Glocks, now. All are Gen 4 34's. We can get all 3 to spit the brass just over our right shoulders or we can shoot right and the brass goes a little farther. We don't get an erratic BTF during normal shooting. If we use NATO ammo, brass goes into the next stall, well over our shoulders.

19. GCBHM

GCBHM

Yes. Every Glock I’ve ever owned has had a consistent ejection pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Bradley T

Bradley T

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017