Is you job your "life"? Should it be?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ExxoticOne, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

How emotionally invested are you in your job? Is it "the most fullfilling thing in the world" to you? Or, is it what you do to get the bills paid and LIVE your life? Or is there some happy medium for you?

2. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

It's a balance. I'm good at what I do and it's stimulating so I enjoy it. I do not live for it, however. 45-50 hours a week is enough for me and then it's play time and I forget all about it.

How about you?

3. slick64

slick64

I've been doing the same thing now for almost 12 yrs on the same account, although I recently went from being an engineer to a business development manager, I happen to enjoy my job, as well as my time away from work, even though they overlap at times.

I would think that my friends don't define my by what I what do and thats what is important to me in the end.

4. Short Bus

Short Bus

I used to be totally consumed in it. Now, not so much. I still enjoy most every day that I am there, and love what I do. I wouldn't say it is my life though.

5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

6. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I keep myself entertained at work. I enjoy it. While I didn't get into this for the money it keeps me comfy and self sufficient. I'm not hurting for toys or luxury items. It is not my life but it is a big part of my heart, if that makes any sense. My life is about me, my heart is what I can do for others. Hard to articulate.

7. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

I do obsess with not being late, I obsess about doing good work, and I do obsess about doing things the right way. When I leave though I don't think about it and I have my own life. That is how I have been in every job. I have loved every job, but one I have worked at. You tell me is it my life? I have no idea. Take into consideration these have all been "College Jobs"

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  8. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

I absolutley love what I do...it also happens to pay the bills. To me, my choice of occupation is extremely fulfilling in that I usually get to see the results or my work first hand, which I greatly enjoy. I wouldn't trade jobs for the world and I am grateful to be in the position I am. I certainly won't be on any money making lists, but I have food on my table and a roof over my family's head. What more could you ask for? :wavey:

9. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

My business is open 24/7 - 365 days a year so sometimes it's hard to get away from it. My job is certainly not the most fulfilling thing in my life but there are parts that I enjoy. So I guess there is a happy medium for me.

10. Turbodreams

Turbodreams

I hate my job. I hate the pay. I stay because A) I cant find anything else that will pay me the same or more or even enough to pay my bills, that Im qualified to do. B) Its secure. Im not getting laid off or fired anytime soon.

5 years and counting here.

Office work sucks.

11. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

That makes sense. When you are working personally with people on an individual level (as a profession, (thats what I do)) it can be very rewarding. It is hard not to have your heart in it. In the end, most choices we make affect someone else regardless of how big or small.

12. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Same here. This is how I look at it; if I'm not out having fun or home relaxing, I might as well be of service to others.

13. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

There is no way that this job is my "life", however, I did find out very quickly who here really is my "friend" and who wasn't when my father was brought here for chest pains (and ultimately spent 3 days in ICU on a vent) last month.

My Sr. VP who has given some of the staff (but not me) a hard time made it a point to go see my father in his room and told him if he had any issues to call him directly. Folks on the floors get in a hurry when any of the SrVPs go walking down a corridor in the hospital. It attracts attention.

And to the Clinical Director in charge of resuscitations and ultimately the staff who saved Dad's life the morning he coded--they had a cart check database that came up in three weeks flat because I worked my ass off to make it happen. I'll go to bat for that woman and any of her staff any day of the week and they don't have to ask twice.

14. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I would prefer to make someone's day rather than ruin it.

15. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

I don't have a job, but I can honestly say my husband likes his job more than anyone else I have ever known. He would do it for free, but they pay him anyway.

16. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Oncall 24/7 365 with extra time to be put in for good behavior.. I work about 65-70- hours a week, I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead.

I really enjoy my career.

17. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I hope your father is doing well. I'm glad to hear you're looking out for those that have helped you. I am sure it means a great deal to them. Tough job especially when they're resposible for a colleague's loved one.

18. Cheytac

Cheytac

My job is with a great company and great people. I love the profession, but work is to pay the bills and to buy toys.

Couldn't be much happier with what I do and whom I work with. We just need more work before more people get laid off.

ETA: I could walk away from this job for a good job in another state. Out west or in the mountains. But, I'd not leave it for another in Florida. I am not emotionally involved with my work/job, nor do I believe that it is healthy for one to be.

19. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

I'm infantry and love the 'free time' it affords.

When not doing the deed, we prepare for it and make sure our families are taken care of.

These are two things I enjoy very much.

To some my "off" may seem like "on" and vice versa, but I'm at peace with the rhythm.

20. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I dislike many parts of my job. I just put it out of my mind when I'm not there.