close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is tri-tip a roast or a steak?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SanduneCC, Oct 15, 2004.

1. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

... and how do you cook it like the places that serve up BBQ tri-tip sandwiches? Yum Yum. I'd like to learn how to do that.

2. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Tri-tip is a roast made for BBQ. I LOVE MY TRI-TIP, as to my friends and family.

What you are refering to is called "Santa Maria BBQ" or "Santa Maria Style BBQ".

The best "Santa Maria" style BBQ place in the world is the Far Western Tavern :drool: in Guadalupe, California (West of Santa Maria). They also sell their rub through their retail side - specifically Susie Q Brand Santa Maria Style Seasoning products. This is what I use.

You can make your own using the recipie at the bottom of this post; but I have not tried it yet; I just buy Susie Q seasoning.

BBQ the Tri-Tip over oak, or over coals sprinkled with wet oak chips. I use a smoker/bbq (side burner box) and use only oak. I usually cook up several Tri-Tip roasts when I have company, hoping to have leftovers, but people can't stop eating it and I don't end up with the left overs I was hoping for. I love eating left over Tri-Tip made into sandwiches. Be sure to check out the Susie Q website they explain exactly where the tri-tip roast is - to many the tri-tip is a mystery cut. :)

"Pinquito beans" are the traditional side dish to serve with Tri-Tip. I have placed a recipe below. What I use instead are canned "ranch beans" - for each can I add one red onion, and several pressed or minced garlic cloves. I cook this down over low heat for at least an hour - the onion breaks down and the flavors really come together. This is always a hit. I typically also like to serve red mashed potatoes. Goes great with the drippings from the tri-tip.

Of course I also always make fresh salsa and guacamole, and have this an appetizer before the meal and as a side dish during dinner.

3. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Can I roast it in an oven?

4. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

;P That would be a SIN! ;P ;)

I suppose so. :) To my knowlege I have only eated BBQed tri-tip, but roasting it in the oven should work - give it a shot & let us know! ;f

5. noway

noway

{Can I roast it in an oven?}

that would not be BBQ. ;) You will lost alot of the flavor.

just my 0.02c