Is this worth $800?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bigmac85, Apr 15, 2012.

1. bigmac85

bigmac85

Roggio lower with doublestar 16" chromoly barrel, flat top with mbuis, chrome lined bcg. I dont know the twist rate of the barrel, unfortunately.

This will be a range gun/plinker. With occasional hog hunting.

What do yall think.

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

That alone makes it a no-go for me. Nothing on that gun says it would be worth $800 - not even close.

3. bigmac85

bigmac85

Kinda what i was thinkin. havent heard of either mfg. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

NO, IMO. Much better could be had for the same money, or dare I say even 100 to 150 less. Good luck.

5. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

~Shiver~

No way, any number of decent quality ARs could be had/put together for that price or less.

6. bigmac85

bigmac85

Thanks guys, i had a feeling something was up when the guy at the lgs started pushing it on me a lil too enthusiastically. Lol

I think i will hold off until i can find a better deal. Any suggestions on where to start looking?
    :apologies for my blatant noobism:!

7. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Not at all bud. No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. Assuming this will be your first AR? If so...

Factory rifles...

S&W M&P15 Sport is a great starter rifle. Doesn't have all the bells & whistles, but it's reliable as hell, will devour any ammo you feed it, and like any AR, it's a breeze to upgrade it later on. Sells for about $620-$650.

There's plenty of others out there, but to get decent quality, the price climbs pretty quickly. You'll get a ton of different opinions, based on mine & my friend's experiences, stay away from...

PlumCrazy, DPMS, Red-X, R-guns, the regular(non-Sport) M&P15, etc...

By the time you start to reach the $800 and up rifles, really give thought to just building your own. Don't let it scare you, a half-blind, one armed monkey could put an AR together.

Start with a decent quality mil-spec stripped lower($100-$200), then...

Palmetto State has great bang for the buck kits. Their basic 16" carbine kits are about $550, and come with EVERYTHING but the lower, mags, and a rear sight. Altogether, you can build one of these for a total of about $750 ready to rock.

Bravo Company Mfg gear is tough as nails, dollar for dollar, probably the best gear out there IMO. Remember, you don't need all the hooha goodies right away, quad-rails, etc... Build a basic carbine, learn the platform, then upgrade as needed. You can build a basic BCM rifle for right around $1,000.

:supergrin:

8. bigmac85

bigmac85

Thanks for the great info hour13. This is my first ar Btw. (if that wasnt obvious) lol
    As to not clutter the forum with another "what should i buy" thread. ill refer to past conversations and let yall know how it turns out.
    In the the meantime my old g17 will pass the time just fine. ; )

9. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Good call, lol. And hell ya, hard to argue with the G17. :cool:

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Agreed on all points, except I have not heard of any issues with the non-Sport M&P 15s. In fact, the new ones are coming with the same 1/8 twist, melonite barrel of the Sport, but with a milspec upper and some decent-looking options for rail systems.

I like the cut of your jib. Welcome to the BRF, bigmac, you should fit in just fine.

11. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

True, and I haven't tried the newer production ones. My experience was with a 2010 run model. Actually owned that & a Sport at the same time, got to shoot them side by side at the range.

The Sport ran like a Swiss watch, the regular 15 had constant FTFs, and sporadic ejection patterns. Both running the same brass case ammo. I may have had a dud, it happens. But it certainly left a sour note for me.

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Yeah, sounds like a dud, or possibly an outside problem that wasn't shared between the two, like a bad magazine.

I haven't heard of any serious issues with the M&P line ARs, even the older ones. I really like the fact that they are now coming standard with 1/8 barrels - I wish other companies would follow suit.

13. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Definitely with you there bud, 1/8 or 1/7 are ideal IMO. There are quite a few rifles/uppers I wouldn't mind, if it weren't for the damned 1/9 twist, lol.

14. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

That was my first thought too, but I marked the mag each time it had a FTF, and tried it in the Sport, with no issues.

Probably just a fluke, even the best companies drop a turd from time to time, lol.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

For $200 more a BCM or Colt can be had which would actually work.

$700/800 wouldn't be bad for a M&P15A or the MOE variant though, they also run fine. They aren't a Colt, but they do well for 90% of people's shooting (I currently own one, it's had about 8,000 through it so far).

16. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Short answer, NO. Steer clear of this weapon. Follow the advice posted by MrMurphy above, or if you want to spend less money and get slightly less quality but still serviceable, look at Palmetto State Armory.

For my money though, I'll own Colt, DD, or BCM.

17. bigmac85

bigmac85

I have narrowed it down to these three as well.
    Just trying to find a place that has one in stock locally.

18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

You'll be hard pressed to find a DD dealer, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't find a BCM stocking dealer. There's a dealer local to my area with several DD rifles in stock, though, if you can't find somewhere online to order one.

19. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Double Star lowers were being sold for $49 about 3 years ago.

You could grab their upper for about $400 & could make an entire rifle with the quality of a DPMS for about $600 which was the sex appeal because DPMS was selling for $750 at the time....

:rofl:

20. DieselNut

DieselNut

As far as the brand double star, I've had nothing but good experiences. Larry Vickers uses double star in his M4 carbine torture test. For the money they make an okay product. I'd prefer them if LMT, BCM, colt, DD, noveske weren't around.