close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this true? (WinXP license question)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LoWRyDa, Jan 28, 2007.

1. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

This one guy in my training class at work told me that once you buy a full version (retail) of Windows XP you can put it on as many computers as you want, just not at the same time. So you can put it on one computer, then if you buy/build a new computer, you can put it on that one just as long as the other one doesn’t have it. The reason it came up is because I bought a full version of XP Home and an OEM version of Media Center for the computer I built back in August. Some of you might remember the troubles I had since I posted a few times here about it. For those that don’t and want to know why I bought both, since MC can only be purchased as OEM it doesn’t come with instructions so I had trouble installing it and since I couldn’t return it I just gave up and went and bought the full version of XP. After about a week of using that I found out how to properly install MC, so I formatted and put MC on here. So now I have a copy of XP Home that isn’t installed on any computer, so I figured it was a waste of money, but according to him, I could install it on a new computer even though it was already activated on mine, so is this true?

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

It's within the license'slimitations. If you activated it on the first PC you'll end up having to call Microsoft when you try to activate it on the new PC. It's toll-free and should take about 20 minutes.

3. lens

lens

Rules on Microsoft Licensing for WinXP:

- OEM gets "married" to the first system it is installed on and can NOT (Legally) ever be transferred to a new system. MS' justification is that it is sold a much lower cost.

- Retail OS (Full or Update Versions) can be installed Only on one system at a time. If you later want to REMOVE it from System A and install it on System B, you are perfectly free to do so Legally. If Activation balks, call the toll-free number and explain to MS what you are doing and why and they will activate it for you.

4. malkore

malkore

both are right, but Lens wins for being detailed on OEM installs.

then there's the MSDN copies that don't register at all :)

5. lens

lens

Thanks. I was a Microsoft MVP for 10 years and still do some online support for them (all volunteer). We (MVPs) went round and round with MS' Legal Department wrt the licensing, so we have it down pretty pat by now.

MSDN copies do "activate" (more appropriate term than "register"), as that is what I've used for many years on my test machines. We just typically get 10 licenses for most things with MSDN.

6. Bronson7

Bronson7

Just as an aside, I recently wiped my drive with the Western Digital utility that allegedly restores your HD to a factory condition. It had been around two years since my last OS install with no hw changes. When it came to activation (OEM version), I had to call MS and go thru a somewhat lengthy process with the rep. The guy acted like I was committing a felony: asked how many computers I had the OS installed on, whether it was a new hard drive, etc. He balked when I told him I had changed nothing but he ended up giving me the new code to re-activate anyway. All I can think of, is that MS saw the HD as being new because of the WD utility I had run. I won't be using it in that mode again. As of late, I've been familiarizing myself more and more with Linux. As I'm not a game player, my next build will probably be a "Linux only" machine. That whole affair really got me po'd and I made up my mind that MS can kiss my butt.
    Bronson7

7. WhatYouWant

WhatYouWant Duh!

I bought this PC because I needed another PDQ (another computer in the house was dying, needed a replace quick) and it was only 250+tax after rebates. I put linux onto it and it works like a champ. Not the best out there but it seems to do what I need (remote access and home db server).

It came with VISTA and when loaded (with the Compaq stuff) it used about 400 megs of RAM (out of 512).

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Baby Face Off Lifetime Member

You can always just disable the activation process.

Sadly... the computers I have with pirated XP on them run better than the ones with legit copies. (Less hassle from the "cracked" copies.)

9. JadedOne

JadedOne

PM with a point in the right direction would be loved, as I have refused to install XP since I got it for free from my university for years bc of the nonsense.