close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this really true?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Sep 28, 2004.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

Opting out: The single most effective way to avoid viruses and spyware is to simply chuck Windows altogether and buy an Apple Macintosh. Apple's operating system, Mac OS X, is harder for the criminals to infect, and the Mac's market share is so small that hackers, virus writers and spies get little thrill, financial gain or publicity from attacking the platform.

There has never been a successful virus written for Mac OS X, and there is almost no spyware that targets the Mac. Plus, the Mac is invulnerable to viruses and spyware written for Windows. Not only is it more secure, but the Mac operating system is more capable, more modern and more attractive than Windows XP, and just as stable.

Macs are as good as, and often better than, Windows PCs at doing the most common computing tasks: Web browsing, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, photos, music and video. The Mac version of Microsoft Office can handle Windows Office files with ease, and it produces files that Office for Windows handles effortlessly. Apple's computers are also gorgeous.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Yes that would work, but it's expensive and a bit extreme. If you're a game player, relatively few games are made for Mac as well.

With a couple of free software changes, a little knowledge, and a little diligence the vulnerability to a virus, spyware, popups, etc. on a PC drops to effectively nil.

3. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I'm not a game player. But, I'm a Windows software developer. So, I have to use Windows. My defense against spyware includes brains and Mozilla Firefox. I haven't had a problem for years.

4. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

As stated before, Apples are very expensive; nice, but expensive. Mac OS X is based on Unix, as is Linux. Check out LinuxISo_Org and download Knoppix (WARNING: 600 or more megabytes) which you can actually run off the CD. If you don't like it, you haven't installed anything, so you can just throw away the CD. Also, you can save your changes to a blank floppy so you can upload them the next time you run the CD or install it. You can even setup your system to dual boot it an Windows, which is especially easy if you have an extra harddrive to spare.

5. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I use Knoppix, it's good stuff. You can even save system settings to a USB flash drive.

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

7. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Since probably less than 20% of the computing population uses both Mac and Linux on a regular basis, it's only a matter of time when virus's will be specifically written for them.

Just like a terrorist wants to create maximum damage so does the virus writers. That's why they target Windows more frequently.

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/