close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this possible

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by headphonefreak, Mar 15, 2006.

1. headphonefreak

headphonefreak

My parents and I live about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile (line of site) apart and we are both on wifi for web access which is spotty at best. They are about to get a 1.5 mbps T1 line run to their house. My question is can I use Wifi to split their bandwidth?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sure you can. An ad-hoc 802.11b or g point-to-point will do what you want.

Can you do it LEGALLY? That's another matter...ask the ISP.

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

To be clear... it's not going to be illegal(as in go to jail, pay $10k fine)... but it may violate the ISP's terms of service(TOS), and if it does, and they find out, you could be disconnected with no recourse.

What do you mean you're on WiFi now? Satellite? Cell phone? WiFi is just a short range standard that hooks into some land line access. You "borrowing" it from neighbors?

A T1 ~PROBABLY~ won't have a terribly restrictive TOS, since it's likely $500/mo or more, they tend to be pretty flexible.

3/4 of a mile is a bit far for regular consumer WiFi gear, which is generally rated for something like 100yd in open air. But inexpensive high gain antennae can easily bridge that distance without having to buy big expensive transceivers. Still won't work very well in the rain, water is pretty close to opaque for the 2.4GHz (or 5GHz in the case of .11a) band WiFI uses.

4. headphonefreak

headphonefreak

When I say right now I am on Wifi what I mean is that my ISP has a tower that sits on the tallest hill in town, they come out to your house and point a small antenna at their large one. They are playing the same game cable does, sell me 500mbps and I really only get that at like 5:00 am because the connection is being shared with everyone else on their service in my city. I game a lot so I have to stay up till 11:00 to get any kind of speed at all. Plus I drop TONS of packets so my ping will go from 28 to 340 in one jump.

The way the T1 will be set up is the particular phone company we are talking about switching to for the office (my parents own the business) will offer a T1 run to the CEO's door for $200/month. Where my parents live DSL is still about 3 years out and you can either use Dish or these ****ty wifi companies that are down at least 10 hours a month. I know I can't use off the shelf stuff at bestbuy, but I know I have seen some hardware out there that will do it. Hell I already have the antenna on my end and that is half of the equation.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

As I said, your best bet is to ask the internet provider if they'll allow sharing of bandwidth, and then use two directional antennas and wireless NICs in each machine. For a short hop like that there should be no need for expensive signal amplifiers.

And then you'll get to learn how to secure a WLAN from penetration and leeching.

Most any of these designs will work, but the antenna/modem from a WiFi provider will not work. BTW, the bottom two resemble the ones I use for this purpose...

[​IMG]

6. headphonefreak

headphonefreak

No neither of them do, the top left and middle one do.