Is this possible? (case question)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LoWRyDa, Sep 22, 2004.

1. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

If I just got a new dell within the last 3 months, could I take the insides of that and just put it in a different case? I've seen a lot of new cases out there that I like mainly for the looks and the Dell case is pretty plane Jane so I'd like to get rid of just the case if possible.

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Sure it's possible.

Hopefully the Dell Motherboard conforms to the ATX Motherboard standard.

If not take it to your local Asian owned comp store and see if it will fit. They will be more than happy to help you.

3. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

lol does it have to be Asian? Does it make a difference the nationality?

4. Jay D.

Jay D.

You should be able to swap the case with no problem at all. If you have any kind of warranty left on it that will be void if you change the case.

5. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

I think the point is just try finding one that isn't asian owned anymore. ;)
    Mom and pop stores, though rare these days, usually have a faster turn around than a big store like CompUSA etc., and they could sure use the business.

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

you will need to determine if the I/O panel can be knocked out of your case. it's the panel that covers up your motherboard on the part of the back of the case where you plug stuff in.

power supplies are usually case-specific. if your buy a case, make sure it has a power supply (most of them do).

the only other things you need to watch out for are case sizes. if you have an ATX board and buy a micro-ATX case, you won't be able to fit the motherboard in the case.

7. Deathwind

Deathwind

Power supplies are not usually case specific. I've moved power supplies between cases, gotten a new power supply for a case, etc. many times. If you get an ATX power supply and an ATX case, they should be fine.

However in the case of Dells, some of them do not use ATX-spec power supplies. I'm not sure if Dell alters the enclosure's physical measurements (i.e. the Dell PSU may or may not match up physically to a standard ATX case), but Dell does occasionally ignore the ATX motherboard power connector standard, meaning you can smoke the computer by hooking a standard ATX power supply to it. There are adapters available, and some people even manufacture third-party PSU's that will work with Dells, however it's probably easiest to just stick with your current power supply if it's working alright for you.

8. N2DFire

N2DFire Who Me ???

O.K. - far be it from me to argue with the folks here (b/c I consider them to be more "expert" than myself) but . . .

most of the DELL desktop systems I have had the "pleasure" of working with for the past several years have used an integrated PCI Card Cage that holds all the PCI devices and then has one interface with the main board (similar to the older Mother/Daughter board concept).

I also don't think many of the DELL Main Boards have all the I/O connectors on the rear in such a fashion as to interchange with standard cases.

With all that being said I do not think DELL conforms to the ATX standard and that you'll have some issues with moving to a new case. Now with all the things I've seen done to a computer case over the years I have no doubts that the DELL 'guts' can be made to fit inside any standard ATX case, the question is how much effort are you prepared to put forth to make it fit.

After all - given enough time & fabrication, you could but a Hemi in a VW BUG, but is all the trouble really worth the end result?

These are just my uneducated thoughts & observations from hands on experience. FWIW the company I work for has been a total DELL company for almost 6 years.

9. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Would it help if I just took a close up pic of inside the case??

Also, if I wanted to, could I just strip all the components and just get a new motherboard & power supply with the new case? The rest of the parts aren't proprietary right?

10. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

1.) yep

2.) i believe that's all, but you may or may not need a new motherboard.

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

A good case like a mid-tower Chieftec or a Thermaltake will alow you to set up the MOBO standoffs to fit most any standard non-ATX form factor mainboard, with the exception of BTX. They really look cool, too.

The I/O shield in the rear of most Dell cases does not come out, IIRC, so you might have to:

1. Buy an aftermarket I/O shield, or fab one yourself.

2. Get a new MOBO and PSU.

3. Run the PC without the I/O cover in place, or

4. SELL THE DELL AND BUILD A REAL PC!!!

I suggest #4, if you couldn't tell...

BTW, the main plus, be3sides better looks, from upgrading your case is better cooling. A Dell usually does not have enough power to warrant this, although their cheapo PSU's do seem to waste a lot of energy producing heat...

Good luck,

FastVFR