close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this poaching or is this legal?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by G22 Kid, Nov 6, 2003.

1. G22 Kid

G22 Kid

Hey guys, just wondering if this is legal or not.

I missed getting my deer this season, so I figured the way to practice this winter. I need to get my rifle fitted to me properly, and then I want to hike the woods this winter, looking for deer and practice throwing my gun up on them and catching them in the scope.

IF i am not carrying a loaded gun, is there a problem with this?

If there is, I guess I just won't carry a rifle and throw up on them. I'll just carry my shotgun for weight and the occasional grouse!

And I will still spot for deer.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Unless your state has laws against carrying firearms outside of hunting season, than no.

Poaching is the act of taking game outside of the regulations and laws. Just don't shoot anything.

3. G22 Kid

G22 Kid

That's what I figured, but I know we have laws that state you can't have a spotlight and a firearm in the same vehicle.

4. Dan

Dan

I dont see why there would be a problem as long as you DID NOT have any ammo with you or in your vehicle. But I guess every state see's thing different. Call your local Game warden or DNR officer. Post what he or she tells you.

5. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

man your season is short...

6. G22 Kid

G22 Kid

Well, I started late, but it is only like 3 weeks long.

Ended on the 5th...

7. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

the only problem with it is it is going to look suspicious if your vehicle is going to be parked near hunting area accesses and if you are confronted by a game warden, it is going to be a hard story to sell...he may think that you had just ditched your ammo or something of that nature. and if yoiu were going to get close to game animals you probably are going to be wearing camo so it will really just look like your poaching...

8. noway

noway

agreed,

Don't carry guns outside of the legal hunting periods with or without ammo.

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

While I think the "kid's" plan is sophomoric silliness, I'd have to question some of the advice given here. I'm in the woods with my .243 lots of weeks when deer season isn't in. I don't hunt deer. I hunt crows and other varmints. My .243 could just as easily be used to hunt deer as crows, but I'm not breaking any laws by being in the woods with my scoped, loaded .243, whether any season is in or not.

If I decided to use my scope to take a look at a deer that happened to run into view, I don't think I'd have broken any laws, either.

10. RevGator

RevGator

I think walter has a point there...as long as your out in the woods hunting some legal species (hence the need for a gun w/ammo) you wouldn't be poaching unless you actually shot at a deer.

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

If you don't have a dead deer with you, or are caught in the act of shooting at a deer or a decoy, you are not poaching.

Like Walter said, even if you take a peep at a deer through your scope, you haven't done anything illegal as long as you don't shoot at it.

12. G22 Kid

G22 Kid

Walter, I got to thinking about this last night, and so what, even if I did have ammo? I mean there are lots of bears and cougars in the area. Really, the only thing illegal is killing an animal outside of a season without a tag.

And Walter, I really don't care what you think about that idea. I'm basically scouting, many people scout. There is nothing wrong with that, and I want a friggin Trophy deer next season.

13. turq

turq

Up until this year in Oregon you could not carry a rifle in a game unit that had a rifle hunt going on which you did not have a tag for.
    The powers at be changed it this year, bow hunters can carry a rifle; anyone anytime... You just can't shoot game without the correct tag. So... now you can hunt coyotes all year as they are not big game animals.

14. G22 Kid

G22 Kid

Thanks Turq!

Appreciate it, I thought the law changed but was not sure.

BTW, this is on private property too, so it's not like I am going to be out while hikers and stuff are out there.

15. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Pulpa est valeo

you could set up an old rifle stock with scope rings and a scope to practice without much trouble. Less chance of misunderstandings.

16. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i put my cross hairs on two small deer this evening about 4:45pm and didnt shoot...

17. G22 Kid

G22 Kid

Riddle

That a good idea since I just got a thumbhole stock for my gun, I will have an extra stock!

I could just get a cheap bushnell 3-9 and maybe add some weight to is some how.

We'll see....

Thanks

18. coboconk

coboconk

You could also mount a camera on that stock and take pictures of the deer you see. It would silence any disbelievers of the large buck you saw when you have a picture of him. Just a thought, good to see some one putting in the time and effort to scout for a trophy. I spent a month last winter after the hunting season walking the woods and swamps. I spotted several big deer and noted there travel patterns. I just finished my hunt and brought home a huge ten pointer 221/2 inch spread. The largest deer of my life and I believe the scouting was the results of my success. I passed a spike and a fair six pointer knowing that there were big deer in the same location. Good luck

19. turq

turq

G22Kid; What area of the state are you lookin? Western I take it since you are scouting and not talking drawing a tag.Maybe I can help, You got maps?

20. A.F. Lineman

A.F. Lineman

Just get a bear tag and DON'T do this in Elk Season. They tend to be very touchy about anyone in the woods with a rifle during Elk Season. Even bear season closes then.