close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this normal wear and tear on the inside of the slide?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by darkdan, Sep 3, 2011.

1. darkdan

darkdan

[​IMG]

Police trade in G22 (refinished before sale)
    LWD stock length barrel

I ran about 150 rounds through the new LWD barrel, went to clean it, and noticed metal shavings all over the barrel. Since the gun is still very newly refinished it was pretty easy to find witness marks. Previously I've ran about 500 rounds through it with the factory barrel and never had shavings.

Are those marks on the slide normal wear and tear or is there a problem? There were actually a lot more on the barrel, but I started cleaning it and then decided to take a picture. I don't see any abnormal wear on the frame anywhere. Since the gun is used, I'm assuming any normal wear and tear from breaking in should have happened a decade ago.

2. tonyparson

tonyparson

Yes my G23 and G27 has the same marks..:thumbsup:

3. darkdan

darkdan

Good, I feel a little better. Now I wonder where all those shavings came from. Perhaps from the black oxide coating flaking off?

4. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

for the love of god, would someone please sticky this topic :wow:

5. darkdan

darkdan

Marks like that on a gun I usually assume are normal, but the metal shavings is what had me scratching my head. Never had that happen with the factory barrel.

6. R.T.

R.T.

Such marks on the slide are not uncommon and nothing to be concerned about (although those appear more drastic than most I've seen). However, metal shavings are uncommon and should cause concern and further investigation.

7. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

I agree, those marks look pretty bad. I always have lots of little BRASS shavings under my slide, but NEVER steel. I would worry if they are not brass.

8. bentbiker

bentbiker

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  9. R.T.

R.T.

I agree, but the OP stated he had already shot 500 rounds prior to changing the barrel. I would expect him to see any spring flaking during that 500 rounds (which he did not). He stated he did not see any metal shavings until changing the barrel and after shooting the last 150 of 650 rounds?

10. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

See if a magnet will pick up the flakes.

11. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

My D series G35 has been doing that since new, going on 10 years now.
    Hard to believe it is "normal" albeit common.

12. darkdan

darkdan

They don't appear to be magnetic.

Silver in color, and no I haven't been shooting aluminum cased rounds.

Now I'm doubly confused (the barrel and slide are both magnetic).

13. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Once upon a time, many years ago, way back in the mountains, lived an old couple. All their lives they lived on a remote little farm and worked hard every day. Times were tough so they struggled to grow a few vegetables to live on with a few left over to preserve for winter use. They also kept a few chickens and an ragged-looking brown cow.

Well into their golden years the old man died.

A few days after the funeral, the local Farm Bureau Agent came by with a check from the old man's life insurance policy.
    It was for $1000! The old woman had never seen such a huge amount of money before. It seemed like all the money in the world.

For many weeks she pondered what to do with that money. She never had much but she had everything she needed and had never longed for luxuries like the ones city folks could not live without.
    Then one day it came to her. Since the old outhouse was getting shabby and needed to be replaced, why not use that huge pile of money that she had no use for, and splurge on a fancy new outhouse? Possibly the only part of her life that she did not love was having to use that dark, rundown, creaky, drafty, spider-infested toilet on a cold winter night.

A smile spread across her rugged face as she thought of her recently-departed husband and how pleased he must be, up there, looking down on her at just this moment as she made the decision to use that money, he had so thoughtfully provided for her, to make her life just a little bit easier in her old age.

After milking the cow and feeding the chickens the next morning, the old women cranked up the ancient pickup and drove into the village to a contractor's office.

It took all the money in the check but the builder promised everything she asked for: brick walls on the outside, insulated and beautiful paneling inside. It would have a shingled roof to shed the rain and windows on all four sides let in sunlight yet still hold out the bitter winds of winter. Her new outhouse would have carpet on the floor, a fur-lined seat and on the wall behind the solid oak door, a rack on which she could hang her coat. And to crown it all off, a lovely little wood stove in the corner to warm the place when she had to be out there for more than a moment.

The carpenter came and went as did the mason and the carpet layer.

Finally, the contractor gave her a tour of her new outhouse then presented her with the key. His last instruction was to let him know if she had any problems.

What a glorious day, what a glorious bathroom!

A couple days later the old women noticed a smell which worsened with each passing day. She hoped it was only a paint smell or some other new-smell and it would go away but finally, she decided to call in the contractor.

She nervously paced the floor of her small living room while the contractor made his inspection. At last, she saw him approach the house . She flung open the door.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" He exclaimed. "SOMEONE USED IT! THEY ACTUALLY USED IT!"

14. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Still sounds like the recoil spring plating is flaking off.

15. darkdan

darkdan

Could be, just strange that it happens right after the LWD barrel instead of the other 3 or 4 times I took the gun out.

Chalk another one up to post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Edit: mystery solved. I can see where it is flaking off the spring. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011