Is this normal for a Steyr AUG?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by nsl, Sep 14, 2015.

1. nsl

nsl

I got an AUG M1 with 3x optic a few weeks ago.
    I have noticed that the barrel has a slight wiggle in the reciever (not the stock).
    Also, I get groups that range from just over an inch, to 4 inches at 100 yards off of a rest.
    Not very consistant, in my opinion.
    Could any of you chime in on this?
    Some say it is normal, some say it is not.

2. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

There were series of AUGs that had some "barrel play" in the receiver, about .5-1mm of play at the muzzle. No one knows if it was intentional or not. Some say not to worry about it, some say it's not normal. I have had a AUG for a brief time here in the states, but sold it. I am very anal when it comes to such things, but I have never noticed any barrel play. I have also used a Steyr AUG A1 in the Austrian army for nearly two years and never noticed it. If you shoot that rifle while the barrel is inconstantly pushed off center/or off your zero ~1mm at the muzzle, then that 1mm becomes 100mm (3.93 inch) at 100 meters, and 200mm (7.87 inch) at 200 meters, which makes it difficult to zero such a rifle in, due to the inconstancy of the play.

I'd give them a call: (205) 467-6544

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    jwnunez likes this.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Alas, my Steyr AUG is the old SA that was imported back in the early 1980s. I don't know anything about the newer model's modifications to the original design.

However for what it's worth, I don't remember any wiggle in the barrel on mine at all.

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

When you shoot off the rest, what part of the gun are you contacting the rest?

5. nsl

nsl

Trying to keep it off the grip and barrel, but hard to do.
    I did confirm that I can make it vertically string a group by putting the foregrip on the bags.

6. cciman

cciman MacGyver

I had the MSAR STG 556, obviously not the Aug, but my experience with it was it was not grouping well at 100 yards with brass range ammo using an Eotech. I was disappointed, I liked the gun. Trigger was horrendous- tried a few mods to lighten it, did not group any better.

Sold it for a TAVOR, no issues with the Tavor using a Timney trigger pack, same Eotech.

7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Some had a slight wiggle, I had a 16 inch black that did not, my buddy had a green one that did, and they both shot about the same sized groups.