Is this illegal?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Weiser 878, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Lets say HYPOTHETICALLY I was at the gas station this afternoon filling up the Expedition (relevant because its got a big tank so you have to stand there for a while) and some wannabe gangster screeches in music blaring Fthis and Fthat (his windows cracked open about 3-4", which will be relevant in a minute). He turns the music up, leaves his door open and goes in the store. So lets say, again HYPOTHETICALLY, I went over and pushed his DOOR LOCK button and closed his door.

I'm thinking I'd (HYPOTHETICALLY) retain some plausible deniability that I was just closing the door to shield the sensitive ears of the children around from the profanities blaring out of the car.

So, if HYPOTHETICALLY, someone got my license plate # and called the cops, do you think a crime was committed?

2. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I'd think you were being an outstanding citizen by securing a running vehicle while the owner was away. :whistling:

3. Puppy

Puppy

Is this before or after filling the interior of their car with 12 gallons of premium?

4. Tow/Repo

Tow/Repo CLM

I don't know but HYPOTHETICALLY thats funny as hell

5. Tenngunner

Tenngunner

Don't know but it's worth a try.:whistling:

6. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Not unless there was damage or if he had to pay someone to have his door opened maby.........

7. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Hypothetically that is funny as hell. Not sure about legality of any of those events, but Bravo Sir.

8. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Why would you puy yourself in that situation anyways. :dunno: Pump your gas and just leave.

9. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

No witnesses, no crime. It's too bad there's not a device that could short circuit the entire cars electrical system.(temporarily of course). I think it's disturbing the peace if some jackhole leaves the car with his radio blaring.

10. dp509

dp509 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I do not see a problem with it :supergrin:

11. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Were I to hypothetically witness such a hypothetical situation, I would have to shake your hand and then claim I had not seen anything wrong happen. Hypothetically, of course.

12. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:rofl:

13. JohnnyK221

JohnnyK221

Funny, a similar incident recently took place in Birmingham. The only difference was the music. In the Bham case the owner and the actor argued over one butting in line at the pumps. The owner went inside and the actor locked the car (with the keys in the ignition).

The actor was charged with 13A-7-26:

Criminal tampering in the second degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of criminal tampering in the second degree if, having no right to do so or any reasonable ground to believe that he has such a right, he:
    (1) Intentionally tampers with property of another for the purpose of causing substantial inconvenience to that person or to another; or
    (2) Intentionally tampers or makes connection with property of a utility.
    (b) Criminal tampering in the second degree is a Class B misdemeanor.
    (Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2712.)

14. vettely

vettely

and by the letter of the (Texas) law, he was only "inconvenienced" by the locked door and it would only be a class C and would only be prosecuted through the City Prosecutors Office just as a moving violation. He would be unable to prove your intent to LOCK the door.
    Secondly he would be in violation of most municipal noise ordinace laws.

Let the door slamming begin...

15. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

To the furthest extent of the law, you may have committed "Criminal Mischief" which is a fancy term (in Florida) for vandalism. Contrary to popular belief, no actual damage is required.

As a practical matter, his leaving his car running and unattended is also a violation, not to mention the loud music violation. Helping him to secure his vehicle and preventing him from committing multiple traffic violations can always be said to be a good deed.

All said, you deserve a medal.

ML

16. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

it is not against the law to close someone's car door if it is standing open.

I didn't work a lot of traffic but one exception was boom cars. I would pull them over and ticket them in a heartbeat. At first when the state made it illegal to have have your music turned up where it can be heard 50 feet away it was only a 25.00 fine so they didn't much care about getting the ticket.

Then the city passed an ordinance but made it a 250.00 fine for a first offense and 500.00 for a second offense.

THAT got their attention.

17. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

No crime committed. However, had you waited by the car with a blunt object and proceeded to "instruct" the wayward offender on good etiquette and politeness, that may be an issue. Hypothetically, I would have been fine with both...

18. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

(for Texas) While you lack some kind of consent, Nothing you have done fit the elements of a crime.

There was no culpable mental state (you had no intent to commit a crime)

You violated no statute and there is no strict liability issue.

The owner incurred no loss/civil wrong.

Life goes on. What are the Police going to do? Have an at large case filed against you for closing someone elses car door?

19. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Rabbi rides around in his boom car playing Folk music in Yiddish.

:rofl::rofl:

20. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Probably wouldn't be anything directly illegal. But you might be on the hook if he has to call a locksmith or something.