Is this a Violation of the Separation of Church and State?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LoadToadBoss, Jan 27, 2010.

1. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I’m the pastor of a local church in the Northwest Louisiana area. I received a package of material from the U.S. Census Bureau asking me as a faith community leader to help promote the census to my congregation. Enclosed in the package was some promotional literature and a letter that reads in part:

Here’s my problem:
    1. The government is asking me to dedicate church resources to promote its agenda; however, the government considers it wrong to use its resources to promote my church’s faith-based agenda.

2. The government is asking me to use my position of leadership to influence people to participate in a government project; however, government leaders will not use their official positions to influence people to participate in my church’s faith-based agenda.

3. While my denomination generally believes that good churchmanship also includes good citizenship, the government does not believe that good citizenship includes good churchmanship.

In essence, the government is asking the church to do for it what it will not do for the church. Isn't this a separation of church and state issue? What say ye?

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

The government is asking, not ordering.
    Say 'no' if you want.
    Is broadcasting religious services over state-owned airwaves a violation of church and state seperation? See what happens when you pick nits with this topic? Unintended consequences.

Then read the thread about Far Side and easily offended people.

3. Andy123

Andy123

4. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

5. Paul_J

Paul_J

Well at least they are not asking you to travel to Bethlehem to take the census! If it were me I would drop it in the round file and forget about it. I don't see any violation as it's only a request but it does show the double standard of the current government.

6. nnmnu1

nnmnu1

Why are people afraid of the census? I'll never understand that.

7. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

I would simply decline.

Tell them, if you think you need a reason to decline, that your church will lose its "tax-exempt" status if you do anything politically-oriented from the pulpit, according to the law as you understand it.

8. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Nowhere in the Constitution does it state a seperation of church and state. It does state the government will not establish a national religion or show preference to one religion over another. They can ask. You can say no thanks.

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I don't support anything that is so important to the government that they will try to enter churches to promote it.

But I doubt its separation of C&S since the democrats have been using minority churches to rally political support for candidates and policies for decades.:upeyes:

10. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Not a violation. Decline if you wish.

11. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Not afraid of the census. It is my constitutional duty and happy to comply. My concern is that the .gov is asking churches to use their resources to promote their project whereas they would not use .gov resources to promote our projects. I know I can refuse, but I think the .gov is being a bit cheeky in asking.

12. 220-9er

220-9er

They are not promoting religion, they are promoting the filling out of census forms.
    If you don't like it, just don't do what they ask. They are asking you, not ordering.

13. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

I don't think it's the census it self, the census is just supposed to be a head count as prescribed in the constitution. Its extra curricular items they perform, like, "Do you own guns?" or recording the GPS coordinates of your front door that people object to.

:wavey:

14. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

No it is not. Though the govt interferes with the free expression of religion daily in violation of the law with impunity.

15. glock509

glock509

not only is the man a vol fan but he is right on the money too.
    there is no such thing as "seperation of church and state" nor are those words in the constitution.

16. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Make some samples of the pamphlets promoting your church you want the government to mail to every American citizen. Send them to the government.

17. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

How do you feel about it? Trust your spiritual discernment.

18. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Well, since the census is supposed to be a counting of the people of age to vote in a household, ANYTHING beyond that is invasive and unlawful.

They don't need to know things like what time you wake up, do you eat breakfast, what time you leave for work, did you roger your wife before y'all got out of bed to get ready for work, et cetera.....

19. wizzi01

wizzi01

It's ok to have In God we trust on our currency. However, it's a violation of church and state when the government asks you to do something.

20. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"3. While my denomination generally believes that good churchmanship also includes good citizenship, the government does not believe that good citizenship includes good churchmanship."

Huh? What's churchmanship? Never heard of it.

If you don't like the U.S. governement, well, just throw the thing in the trash and don't get anymore upset than you are about it. Mountains out of molehills, etc.

John