Is this a reasonable trade in price?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by texas_rifle, Mar 2, 2010.

1. texas_rifle

texas_rifle

okay for the brain trusts of GT I have to ask question because I was lowballed big time at my local gun shop today (who i have bought from a lot since they are cheaper than most places online) so just checking to make sure I’m not the crazy one. haha.

I’m currently have a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 80 Stainless .45 ACP with the original box, papers, and two mags; i finally decided to trade it in after it is just collecting dust in the safe. Its in good shape with a few small scratches from being in a holster and the plastic case (nothing close to major just slight cosmetic ones). No mechanical problems, has a tight slide, probably only 450-500 rds shot in its whole life, etc.

I was offered for a trade in today at the local shop of a huge price of $450 or an XD .45 Compact with me adding 40 bucks to get the gun (a $505 no night sights gun but not having to pay sales tax).
    NOTE: Whether you like the XD line or not isn't the issue here because that is the gun im looking at getting (have plenty of glocks just want a new toy) so please refrain from making this a brand x vs. brand x war.

I’m just wanting feedback if that is a common deal on the guns worth or would an outright trade be closer to a more fair trade (if not the dealer adding an extra mag or a box of ammo). I’m going to go to two other gun shops later this week, unless this is a deal that is "normal" then the gun will just go back into the safe because I feel it is worth at least an outright trade. Hate selling guns first of all but just hate ones sitting around never getting touched so might as well trade it for something i will use, just didn't think it would be as bad as trading in a car at a dealership. lol

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

They usually screw you on trades. It's best to sell then purchase.

3. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

Look at how much they are selling used guns for. I would imagine they want to make at least 20% on a used gun sale. You won't get anything close to what you could sell it for if you trade it in.

4. Puppy

Puppy

Personally there is no way I'd sell/trade a stainless Colt MKIV in good condition for 450 bucks.

5. Magnet22

Magnet22

sounds too cheap to me..

6. raven11

raven11

I don't like 1911 that much , but even i have a suspicion your getting ripped off, is there any way you can sell it rather then trade it?

7. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

You will always get screwed on a trade in no matter where you go.

Deal privately whenever you are looking to sell or trade a gun. I'm sure there is somebody out there looking make make that trade that will give you their XD plus cash, or ammo, ect...

8. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I'm surprised the shop offered that much.

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

series 80 arent exactly colts flagship firearms..

but they are low balling you, as they then have to mark it up to cover storage, and having their money invested in it ,

if you want top dollar for it, sell it in the classified here, or go to a colt or 1911 forum , or gun broker

10. CajunBass

CajunBass

In my experience with trades, figure what you think the gun is worth. Expect to get offered about half of that in a trade.

11. Zagato

Zagato

i took my colt, which is the EXACT same config as yours around to a couple gun shops last week, just to see what it would be worth to them with no intention of selling. the prices i got ranged from 300- 450. Blue book is 650. sell it privately to an individual, not a dealer.

12. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

That gunstore is trying to stick it in your keester sideways.

13. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

14. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

If the dealer will throw in $200 it will be a fair deal.

Dealers never play fair.

Sell the Colt, buy that other thing. And double check your dealer's markup on the other gun.
    If he don't mind screwing you on the Colt he won't hesitate to screw you on the new one either.

15. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

The dealer isn't "screwing" anyone. The dealer has cash and will buy just about any firearm on the spot. For that convenience you pay a price. If you want top dollar or even reasonable market value you are going to have to put it up for sale, wait and deal with everything that goes with that. When you trade something in you are essentially paying the dealer to do that for you. If you don't like it don't do it but it's kind of borderline libel in my opinion to accuse them of "screwing" people.

16. texas_rifle

texas_rifle

yeah im just going to end up selling it privately to one of the guys at work most likely. I just wanted to see what the path of convenience would have gotten me instead of waiting on finding a buyer like usual.

i knew the dealer was going to give a low offer to make the most profit they could (nothing wrong with that, thats business!) but i wasn't expecting that low of an offer especially after i buy from them alot. lol.

.357 Glocker, i dont think you were implying that last post of yours toward me but i was never accusing them of screwing me over with their offer just thought it was a low price so i asked on here for opinions. if you were meaning that towards me see my read above because i agree with you, just like selling a car it is better to find a private person to offer you a price closer to market value instead of a dealer who is trying to get a low enough price to make a big profit.

i also understand the gun isn't a 70 series or a Gold Cup so the diehard 1911 guys/girls would most likely pass over it but a colt 1911 in good shape should get around 600 or so at least then add a couple bucks being it is stainless. I just bought this one to help out a family member when they needed some cash.

I just Figured a 505 dollar gun (which the shop has less invested in since selling it at 505 would make them a nice profit) would have been fair trade.

Oh well, no big deal, just was checking with everyone on here to make sure my price range wasn't way out there in left field beyond reasonable. I'll just sell it for cash and go back to the shop with a smile on my face since they wont have the 1911 and pick up the new compact (they are still the cheapest shop around, heck they're actually cheaper than or equal to Buds online prices majority of the time).

so thanks again everyone.

17. Girevik61

Girevik61

I dont like 1911's, but your Colt is worth more than that.

18. Wizz

Wizz

Yea...you could get considerably more on Gunbroker quite easily, then use that money any way you like. Best of luck.

19. just for fun

just for fun

600 might be just a tad high. there are so many factors. Like you, I think, the store would still been ahead trading straight up. Right now money is tight and even then 565-575 should make all parties happy.

20. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

They thought they saw a sucker walk through the door. There is one born every minute you know.