Glock Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Costco has a Dell XPS 8300 Desktop with 24" monitor.

Specs are Intel i7 processor, 16gig Memory and 1.5TB Hard Drive. It comes with Mic Office Home and student.

Original price: $1,500

On Sale for 5days for $1,000

Let me know what you think? Thanks for your advise in advance.

·
NRA Life Member
5,672 Posts
That seems to be a very reasonable price, especially in light of the hard drive shortage...

They may be running stock reduction to put higher margin products in place for Black Friday...

What is the processor speed?

Patrick

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Which I7, 1366 or 1156? What speed? What graphics card? What speed ram?

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Like others have said, its hard to tell without the exact details.

That being said, I usually recommend people steer clear of Dell desktop PCs. they have a lot of proprietary connectors and such inside of them and you can't always upgrade or repair them without going to Dell.

·
AKA Fluffy316
2,212 Posts
Like others have said, its hard to tell without the exact details.

That being said, I usually recommend people steer clear of Dell desktop PCs. they have a lot of proprietary connectors and such inside of them and you can't always upgrade or repair them without going to Dell.
So true, I had a power supply fail and thought it would be no big deal.... Once I found out that it is a Dell proprietary part and will be about $70 for a refurbished PS, I lost the urgency in getting it fixed. LOL

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Last I recall PC Power and Cooling makes replacement dell PS

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Last I recall PC Power and Cooling makes replacement dell PS
I haven't heard that but it would certainly be cool if it were true. Even then, that's not the end od their propritary connectors. Pretty much all of them are.

I also don't know if they are still doing it, but some things used to be aoldered directly onto the motherboards as well.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
no proprietary connectors in my Dells that I have seen. PCI-e, USB, SATA, eSATA, molex, have added/swapped RAM, cards, HD's, power supplies without needing any sort of adapters

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Dell quite doing proprietary PSUs years ago. Now everything is standardized with the rest of the industry. I've had good luck with dells over the years. A couple desktops and four notebooks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Dell quite doing proprietary PSUs years ago. Now everything is standardized with the rest of the industry. I've had good luck with dells over the years. A couple desktops and four notebooks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Didn't know that, I haven't put my hands on a Dell Desktop for several years. If thats the case I wouldn't have as many reservations about buying one.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Costco has a Dell XPS 8300 Desktop with 24" monitor.

Specs are Intel i7 processor, 16gig Memory and 1.5TB Hard Drive. It comes with Mic Office Home and student.

Original price: $1,500

On Sale for 5days for $1,000

Let me know what you think? Thanks for your advise in advance.

On its own, not that great a price, but throw in the 24" monitor, MS Office - you sure it's a full license & not trial?? - and it becomes a pretty good deal.

I'd do it if you want it.

·
Footlong Jr.
1,953 Posts
I read an article the other day where several companies have started putting 5400 rpm drives in their PCs simply because that's all they have.

On the surface the specs of that system sound nice but the devil is in the details.

I'd dig into the details, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.