close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this a bad power supply?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dave5339, Feb 1, 2006.

1. dave5339

dave5339

Hi all!

Well I'm back with another question regarding our desktop oddessy. To see the original post, Click here

First of all let me humbly apologize to all who may be offended by my crude attempts at sarcastic wit and humor. I also promise, (for Fastvfr's sake) to keep my wife from expressing her donut requests.

In the previous thread I had mentioned in my final post that the new power supply seemed to fix the problem. Well I was wrong. It seems the problem is just as bad as it was before and is exhibiting some new behavior. I went with the Antec TruePower 480 because I figured if it was good enough for Fastvfr it should be good enough for me.

The new problem cropped up today as I was happily MG42'ing hordes of Nazis in Call of Duty. The computer didn't do it's normal, "freeze, sit there for a couple of minutes, shut the monitor off, bring the monitor back up, and come back real dark but still there". It just went to the following;

[​IMG]

Now even a reboot doesn't fix the problem.

Is this a monitor issue or is it the graphics card? Or is it something else entirely?

At this point I am at a loss. Other than going back to the idea of fixing the computer with some tannerite or my 12 gauge.

Help please!

Thanks and Semper Fi

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Ouch....looks like your graphics card is going bad on ya :( I had to send one back and get a replacement for almost the same type of screen corruption. However, I have seen that also when I tried running too hot a graphics card with an under-powered PS. But that Antec should be fine. Which card are you running again?

3. dave5339

dave5339

The card that I am running is a Connect3D X700 series Radeon. I run SensorView also and keep a close eye on the temperatures, nothing horrible there. Plus I've got 4 fans running in the system, 2 venting in and out of the case, the PS fan, and the CPU fan.

I'd sure like to get this danged issue fixed, it's driving me nuts!

Semper Fi

4. colsankey

colsankey

definately looks like a bad vid card.. most retailers should have a 1 year warrenty on them. However if you want to get a step down from cutting edge card you can probably get one for ~ $125.

5. dave5339

dave5339

Bump to the top!

6. colsankey

colsankey

I dont know if your still looking for some help, but the quickest way to determine the culprit would be to hook it up to another monitor.. your wifes, a friends, take the box to work (if possible).

If the problems dont show up, it's like your having a monitor problem, but if you still see those blue squares and distortions, its most likely (as I first suggested) it's probably the video card.

A quick swap to even a cheapo card a friend might have lying around would again help diagnose the problem quite quickly.

7. dave5339

dave5339

Colsankey,

Thanks for the replies!

I've been running my laptop through my monitor and it is working fine. So am guessing it's not an issue with the monitor, (although I'd like to replace it anyway, a new LCD would be nice!)

In the earlier thread I'd replaced the video card with a Nvidia 6600 based card. It initially came up and then went black after trying to install the drivers. I went out and bought a 6800GTX card to try, it never even came up at all, (that may have been because I was underpowered on the original power supply though.)

I've not tried new video cards with the new power supply as all of the previous cards, (except for the Radeon x700) have been returned to the sellers.

Currently the computer is in at a local repair shop, they seem to think they can fix it. I hope they can because it's currently driving me even more insane than usual.