Is there any FRS radio that does AM/FM/weather?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by cowboy1964, Aug 17, 2019.

1. dudel

dudel

Not entirely true. FCC gives pretty wide permission for communicating in the event of an emergency. I'm pretty sure a meet up for pizza would not qualify; but in a SHTF sceanario, I think you'd be good. Of course the FT2 won't transmit outside of existing amateur frequencies; but you could listen.

Actually it was more to the poster who said you wouldn't find all bands in a handheld.

KikoMonster likes this.
  2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'ts not all that wide...

TITLE 47 CFR Part 97, Section 97.403: No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radio communication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

And yet they are millions of UV5R radios in use today so somebody must have figured out how to use them. I don't run across many if any illegal users on 2m/70cm so they must be using them somewhere else and not bothering anybody.

4. dudel

dudel

Seems pretty wide to me, I don't carry FRS, GMRS or CB. If the cell towers are out, then all ham frequencies are available (I've got an Amateur Extra ticket). None of my radios will transmit outside of the established ham frequencies. I get a double beep if I were to key outside allowed frequencies. I could do the MARS mode which would open some up; but without some chicom radio with questionable spectrum purity, I'm not on those bands anyways. I do have a set of Retvis V77 still unused in the box that I could put into FRS/GMRS mode if I really needed to. I don't have a license for FRS (or is it GMRS that needs the license - don't know as I don't play in that sandbox).

5. syntaxerrorsix

We've discussed this before. I understand you feel the cat's out the bag. I don't like seeing people promote interference with poor amateur practice or suggesting that breaking the law doesn't interfere with others. We'll probably have to leave it there.

6. mac66

Agreed

KikoMonster and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I actually forgot that the UV5R does FM radio. Still no AM though.

One other feature that is really nice to have on the Talkabouts is the ability to charge through USB. The Talkabouts are also going to smoke the UV5R in water resistance.

Again, these are more for day to day use than SHTF, though they would certainly find a place in the bug out bags if SHTF, along with my HAM handheld.

dudel likes this.
  8. syntaxerrorsix

The Yaesu VX3R has AM/FM/WX/SW and with the MARS/CAP mod can transmit out of band on FRS and GMRS (not legal but doable). They've been discontinued but they can be found and are solid little radios. It's really the only HT I use when hiking.

9. mac66

I had a VX3R. It was a pain to program, never did figure it out before selling it.

10. syntaxerrorsix

It's like all of their HTs, menu driven. Once you know one you know them all. The FT60 is probably the easiest one they have to program. I've got Kenwood and Yaesu down. The one that gives me fits currently is the TYT MD380. For the life of me I can't get Wine to run the programming software and you can't do anything with the digital side from the panel. I had a buddy set me up with all the local DMR repeaters.

dudel likes this.
  11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The other thing is I'm not entirely clear about how the new FCC rules re: FRS and GMRS coming next month will affect these existing FRS radios. Should I just wait for new models? I'm really not interested in getting a GMRS license.

12. syntaxerrorsix

If you don't want to purchase a GMRS license buy an FRS radio capable of the new 2W power and call it a day.

ETA, IDK who makes a 2W FRS radio currently.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The use of repeaters with GMRS is interesting. Almost like a "HAM-light" type thing. Will have to do more research on this. Maybe a GMRS license might be a good idea after all.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  14. jhooten

jhooten NRA Life Member

97.403 applies to part 97 services only. The only service authorized by part 97 is the Amateur Radio Service. 97.403 allows a technician class operator to operate in the extra subbands if unable to reach help on the technician subbands. It does not convey any authority to operate on frequencies assigned to Part 90, 95, 80, or any other part of CFR 47.

Do what you gotta do. Be prepared to face the consequences. Remember no good deed goes unpunished.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  15. syntaxerrorsix

Good point.

16. mac66

I had a GMRS license once. ($70 for 10 years at the time if I remember correctly) Gave it up because there were no GMRS repeaters anywhere around and because very few people who use GMRS gets a license anyway. The last time I looked there were only a couple hundred GMRS licenses issued yet millions of GMRS radios in use. It is completely unregulated and unenforced so there is no real benefit to being licensed. And no, I am not advocating using it illegally, just pointing out the realty of the situation.

The benefit to a GMRS license is that it covers everyone in your immediate family which would be worthwhile if you set up your own repeater system.

IMO, GMRS should be deregulated for 2 watt radios i.e, no license required for using the GMRS freqs using the combo FRS/GMRS radios. Perhaps a license required for over 2 watts with detachable antennas and able to use repeaters. That would separate the bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios from real UHF radios. And of course the license fee should be a lot less to encourage licensing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  17. syntaxerrorsix

They would have to build the radios to lock out higher power settings for shared FRS/GMRS freqs but I think many of them do that anyway. I'd be good to de-regulate GMRS up the portable max of 5W without a license. I'm in the same boat here. I won't be renewing GMRS, there's one "active" repeater here in CF and it's dwarfed by all the of the linked systems we have on UVH/VHF. I think beyond 5W (like 50W repeaters) we would want some licensing.

18. mac66

Agreed

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. I agree.
    2. Not having run my radios for going on 15 years, the only saving graces are that I routinely check the batteries and make sure that I have two copies of the manuals in waterproof coverings for each individual unit.
    3. When I read the comments about the software problems with the cheap Chinese radio, I also roll my eyes.
    4. I have no family with which to share equipment, so I don't have to lie to myself or loved ones.
    5. A long time ago, I concluded that my battery operated equipment would not work very long and no government is going to come and help me.

20. mac66

My comms plan involves FRS/GMRS and ham radios. We frequently use the FRS radios at my 52 acre hunting property. They are the old 1/2 watt radios but seem to be adequate for around the property. The problem with them is as my hearing fades (I wear hearing aids) the audio on them (bubble pack Motorolas) isn't very clear and I have a hard time understanding what's being said.

I could use the UV5Rs (they have a lot better audio) but am thinking of upgrading to the new 2W FRS radios just to stay legal. FRS radios are smaller, lighter and still do a decent job. It will depend on whether I can hear them or not.

I initially got a GMRS license and some dedicated 5 w HTs. The idea was to set up a repeater system on the property so that we would have wider coverage particularly for people traveling to and from the property and when using the surrounding state land. Things got busy at work and my brothers lost interest. I eventually bought out their shares of the property. I then got involved in ham radio and let my GMRS license slide.

I have enough UV5Rs all programmed the same to hand out to everyone in the family if SHTF. They are programmed for GMRS, MURS, Marine, weather, other freqs and several UHF and VHF business freqs and I had access to before I retired. Also programmed to the local 2m repeater system if need be. I also have a base station and an antenna for the cabin but haven't set it up yet as we are in the process of building a year round house on the property.

When we move there permanently I will likely rethink and redo the comms system.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019