Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
17,065 Posts
In most designs not really. The Browning Highpower has been made with both an there doesn't seem to be a big issue with it. However it is sort of n "If it works then "no", but if doesn't, then "yes" kind of thing that goes on.

Most notably it has been an issue with 1911 design pistols. It is cheaper and easier to use an external design in production and some 1911 clones work just fine. When Kimber tried it however it was part of a whole series of "profit increasing" ideas and the external design they tried didn't work worth a hoot.

It is very surprising that Sig chose to go that route with their 1911-type pistol. I haven't heard of it being a problem but time will tell.

The concept took bit of a hit long ago in the history of the S&W 39. The "no dash" early models had what is now called the "Long extractor" and it was a bit problematic. Traditionalists then blamed it on the extractor being external but became very silent as the "improved" shorter extractor S&Ws became very reliable pistols.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I don't think there is any advantage besides cost. my Sig is the only one with a internal extractor. my Glock and CZ have external

·
Registered
129,730 Posts
In most designs not really. The Browning Highpower has been made with both an there doesn't seem to be a big issue with it. However it is sort of n "If it works then "no", but if doesn't, then "yes" kind of thing that goes on.

Most notably it has been an issue with 1911 design pistols. It is cheaper and easier to use an external design in production and some 1911 clones work just fine. When Kimber tried it however it was part of a whole series of "profit increasing" ideas and the external design they tried didn't work worth a hoot.

It is very surprising that Sig chose to go that route with their 1911-type pistol. I haven't heard of it being a problem but time will tell.

The concept took bit of a hit long ago in the history of the S&W 39. The "no dash" early models had what is now called the "Long extractor" and it was a bit problematic. Traditionalists then blamed it on the extractor being external but became very silent as the "improved" shorter extractor S&Ws became very reliable pistols.
Yeah, I have a 39 and a 39-2. They have two different external extractors.

·
woo woo
31,625 Posts
Both can be crazy reliable, though IMO the external is a little more forgiving when you factor MIM, cast vs forged etc. Whereas internals can be a little more critical of materials and manufacturing nuances, and don't forgive snapping over rims for very long.
It goes both ways, though...1 part vs 3 parts, something to be said for simplicity.

·
Banned
5,375 Posts
Innie or outie? Neither design is worth a damn if they weren't properly engineered and executed.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

This.

Extractors are a problem. These gun mfgs seem to want to cheap out on the one part that has the most to do with the function of the whole dang thing.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,966 Posts
Guns have been around long enough, it seems like the design needs should have been established by now. Yet it seems so many designs are sold and the customers are the ones who do the real quality testing for the manufacturers. It's not like they're a complicated machine like an auto engine. Can't imagine a handgun having a hundred parts, yet some throw brass in your face, some don't (for example). Are they designed by engineers or monkeys?

End of rant. You may now continue on with your lives which were already in progress.

·
Registered
16,706 Posts
Obviously they can both work and have been working for a long time. I think the controversy comes when a company changes the design for the purpose of cost.

Think Kimber and S&W with the external extractor 1911's and Sig with their 1911 external extractors. I don't mind the Sig external extractors on the P22x series, but the newer long extractor on the P228 and P229 do not look good IMO. Funny because the 3rd Gen S&W's used a similar extractor for a long time and it worked fine think the 4506.

Guess I just don't like change.

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
When Kimber tried it however it was part of a whole series of "profit increasing" ideas and the external design they tried didn't work worth a hoot.

It is very surprising that Sig chose to go that route with their 1911-type pistol. I haven't heard of it being a problem but time will tell...
Considering Cohen came over to SIG from Kimber, not a surprise to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.