Is there a Vehicle Master Key for Fleet Vehicles?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LEO/Dad, Oct 27, 2015.

1. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Okay, in retirement I get all worked up by the littlest things. We have a truck service body mfg in our community. They ship these to dealers, they also do turn key and mount these bodys to truck chasis's. They even do the graphics and lettering. They have huge new truck chassis lots, just out in the open. Hundreds of trucks and vans. They are curently doing new Ford Transit vans for AT&T, graphics, ladder racks etc. thousands of these vans. My question is, how do they organize all the van's keys for doors and iginitions. There must be a simple answer to this. No, I am not a thief. What would I do with a new AT&T van.

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

3. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I know from working at a sheriff's department that all the Ford Crown Victorias even across multiple years all used the same key.

We once found one that had been bought at an auction on the road and used our current key to open it.for the towing company..

Now they are driving Explorers and Chargers so I don't think so.

4. kiole

kiole

It may be possible to key them all alike. My guess is they have some sort of organization system much like the car dealers.

5. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

I believe the only way to have a master keyed alike vehicle ignition system is to place your fleet order to dealer an dealer to factory.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

With vehicles having keys with electronic chips in them I would guess master keys become considerably more difficult..

7. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

^ This

All the P71 CVPIs in our county on multiple departments have had individually unique keys.

The new Ford Interceptor PPV based on the Explorer very wisely uses "dumb" steel keys without a chip so extra keys can be made at any key cutting place for a buck a key.

8. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

My EMS service has all 3 of our chase cars keyed alike. And the boxes on our ambulances are keyed alike but not the chassis.

9. elsolo

elsolo

Yes, you could rekey every new car that comes on the lot to accept your master key, the tumblers being more of a pain than getting the ECU to learn a third key.

Do new cars even have keys anymore? Aren't wireless transponder fobs the thing now?

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

They organize the keys the same way valet parking does.

11. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

In the 1980s my master fleet key consisted of a small piece of metal for popping wing windows, and two paperclips for hot-wiring. (The fleet was mostly 70s/80s Ford trucks) As a high school student, it was great fun to be taught those skills and to put them to use every day legitimately, and to put those skills to use to occasionally to prank friends. (How did my car end up on the opposite side of the parking lot from where I parked it.)

AC37 likes this.
  12. ray9898

ray9898

As above....in a fleet order situation they can be all keyed alike. I know Chevrolet has a few different combos you can request.

13. AllStrobedUp

AllStrobedUp

I used to work full time, part time now at an emergency vehicle upfitter and reading body dealer. All the keys are locked in a dealer key log box. (We are owned by a car dealer) a bunch of our local agencies have used the same ford key on all vehicles from public works to police from about 99 on. So the 99 f150 takes the same key as the 2016 interceptor. I am also issued a key because we run cars for repairs and other stuff all the time the deputy chief jusr said keep a key.