close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

is there a security setting...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wolfgangamadeus, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

Hey all, here is the deal. Have a PC that went form dial up cable. since then, we cant access secure sites, cant logon to aol, cant access my bank to do direct pays etc. The cable company says they changed nothing, so its not there problem. I dont know where else to look, since everything worked OK before the cable. Any ideas?

2. enesch

enesch

what OS you running and service pack level? What version of IE or other broweser? Are all the Windows Updates Applied? Need more info.

3. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

Hi Enesch, running windows xp home, ie 6.0 sp2
    The computer actually came with this MSN explorer client, but that stopped working all together, so I downloaded IE, which opens most things, except the secure sites. It seems like something simple, I just cant figure out what it is.

4. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

perhaps a good time to try firefox? heh.

i take it you checked under the tools>options>internet options items and the security tab? maybe set all the preferences back to default?

5. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Specifics!

Can't access secure sites how?

When you try to log in?

If you are running service pack 2 for XP everytime you go to a site that asks for your password thier may be a small horizontal white area at the top of the browser saying to right click to allow downloads or activex for this site.

I hope you are running some sort of software firewall and or Router after you DSL modem.

Hope that helps.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You ought to try disabling the SP2 'security' crap, then see if that helps.

Which it probably will.

Then just use a NAT HW router to supply your security, and all will be well.

Best regards,

FastVFR

7. Inoxmark

Inoxmark

I had the same problem after I put together my home wireless network. Couldn't login to bank accounts, ebay , hotmail account - anything secure. Fixed it by changing MTU values (maximum transmission packet size) on both computers and the router. Read explanation here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100603.asp Basically you start reducing the MTU value until everything starts working well.
    I had one PC running WinME and one Win2000. Your case may be different because of XP, but the symptoms identical.