Glock Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
10,105 Posts
I'm not sure I understand how (over)crimping can lead to setback .... could you elaborate?

Alright. Take a barrel out of one of your pistols and look down the barrel from the chamber side. You will see that the chamber is slightly wider than the barrel and that there is a ridge in the barrel. That is what your case indexes on (stops the forward movement of the case). If you apply to much crimp on the case, it does not stop where it should and is pushed into this ridge. This compresses the bullet in the case and does not allow for it to release from the case and go forward. It is jammed into the case, and hence into the barrel. When you fire that round, the bullet will be jammed and all the pressure has to go somewhere. Where? Back to your slide, mag well and frame. The gun might very well grenade in your hand.

Do not crimp pistol cartridges, only remove the flair.

· Banned
10,105 Posts
Couldn't wait for the toolhead and Lee Universal Die.....Had to try the tumbler and dryer.

I dumped the powder hopper, inhibited the primer feed and decapped ~500 pieces of 9mm brass......lotsa room for more 9mm in the tumbler.

Used 2 squirts of Dawn and an 40 cal case of Lemishine and ran the FA Tumbler for 2 hours.

Used 3 of the 5 trays of the Dryer for brass (and they wern't full.....lots of extra room on each tray) and I put the pins in the very bottom of the dryer. There are 3 openings around the bottom of the dryer to allow air flow so I kept the pins in away from the openings.

So far I'm impressed with both the tumbler and dryer.

I was a little concerned about the dryer based on a couple of reviews I saw. They didn't mention the fan blowing the hot air down threw the trays, and a big complaint was how the trays didn't fit together tightly........come on people.....you just need to be smarter than the dryer.....I had no trouble at all getting the trays to fit tightly and the bottom where my pins are, are just as hot as the top tray.

IMO this is working out perfectly so far.

I just checked the dryer, and after the brass are almost too hot to touch and the pins are perfectly dry........I'm very satisfied.

I never dry the pins, just put them back in the tumbler with a Pin Transfer Magnet. They don't rust.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...dia-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media

My dryer was deep-frying my brass and tarnishing it, went back to the seller. Make sure yours is not having the same overheating defect. I don't trust them.. would not let them run while being out of the house.

Mine was at 156F when on the lowest setting, which should have been 90F.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.