Glock Talk banner

Is There a Real Difference in Crimp Dies?

1002 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  rangerhgm
Based on some discussion about the Lee FCD in another thread, I need some education please.

Can someone to explain how the dies below differ in crimping for pistol ammo. I currently use the Lee FCD (with the knob on top) and set the crimp so the line on the bullet (if pulled) is almost non-existent.
  • Lee FCD (the one with the knob on top)
  • Dillon Crimp Die
  1. Do these crimp in different ways?
  2. Does one provide better accuracy over the other?
  3. I've seen in different posts that you should have no line, or barely a line around the bullet from the crimp. Is this true no matter what crimp die you use?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Friends Call Me "Flash"
6,542 Posts
I used to use a "zero bell" crimp on pistol cartridges using standard dies. In the past year or so, I changed to Lee factory crimp dies (FCD) in position 4 of the RL550B presses and Lee taper crimp dies for pistol rounds in position 4.

Proof of the effectiveness of these dies is found when using a precision cartridge gauge on your loads. Those FCD or Taper crimped rounds slip through the gauges like poop through a goose!

Flash

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.