Is the SW Victory a nice try from S&W?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Sechott, Jul 14, 2018.

1. TxGun

TxGun

It seems to be a decent competitor to the Ruger MKs and Browning Buckmarks. I have a number of each as there are always relatives, kids, or friends who want to pop rabbits or a squirrel, or plink cans or target shoot. I prefer the Rugers, but a friend brought a Victory out to our place a couple of weekends back and I had a chance to shoot it. Pretty nice gun. I liked it well enough that I could see myself buying one...just to have something different.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. tjpet

tjpet

I bought one for the wife on a post-xmas sale for $250. A few thousand rounds in it's proven very accurate and 100% reliable with a variety of ammo. Usually shoot CCI high velocity with the 40gr plain lead bullet.

3. AndyK

AndyK

I won a S&W last october and a bag of TK parts. It shoots well, accurate, good sights and trigger but I don't care for the balance. Feels top heavy. I prefer my rugers.

4. OleFart

OleFart

It's my personal belief that the S&W Victory caused Ruger to resolve the almost impossible task of breakdown and reassembly of their .22 lr pistol!:eyelashes:

5. AndyK

AndyK

The MKIV came out a few months after the victory. I doubt Ruger engineered it and put it in production in a few months.

6. tjpet

tjpet

You only have to snug the takedown screw on the 'Smith a bit to keep it from backing out. Or you can put a piece of joint/pipe tape on the threads to keep it in place.
    I'm still amazed at the number of folks who say they had trouble reassembling the older ruger auto pistols. Having owned all three of the previous versions I never realized there was a problem until I read about it on GT.

MNBud and jmohme like this.
  7. bac1023

bac1023

A friend of mine has one and loves it.

8. jmohme

jmohme

I agree. I have never had issues taking down any of my Rugers.

9. samarai

samarai

I own 5 different Ruger .22 pistols, all of which I love, BUT, since I bought a S&W Victory, all of those Ruger's have been relegated to the safe...

B C likes this.
  10. SBroadwell

SBroadwell

A friend has one and it seems pretty nice. I’ve got the predecessor, the 22A. Mine has a ported bull barrel and a cheap (like $15 cheap) red dot.
    It shoots like a dream. In about 10 years, thousands of rounds, I honestly can’t recall any malfunctions. Well, except some Remington that wouldn’t fire in anything.
    Only problem I’ve had is the plastic recoil buffer gets really battered with high velocity ammo. S&W sent me a handful of them but so long as I stay with standard velocity they hold up ok.

Sechott likes this.
  11. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I really like mine. Good sights. Good trigger. Easy to shoot accurately. It’s the most fun I’ve had with a gun. I’ve got 3000+ rounds through mine and the only ammo it won’t run is CCI Quiet (I didn’t expect it to). The only hang ups I’ve had is shooting Golden Bullets when it hasn’t been cleaned in about 1000 rounds. Even then it’s like 1 in a hundred.

The first time I took it out I took several different types of ammo to sample. I ended up shooting over 800 rounds the first day. I was having so much fun I couldn’t stop. With the price of center fire ammo right now (I have plenty) It’s going to be a busy summer for the Victory. I bought a Vortex Venom to put on it, but am going to shoot it as is for a while until I get bored. 4A023116-109B-44B0-8D1F-88F03ED6882D.jpeg

lexibilly and rayzer007 like this.
  12. arndog123

arndog123

I have one with a Volquartsen barrel and it cycles just about everything suppressed. Thinking about having the stock barrel cut to 4.5” and threaded so bulk ammo stays subsonic.
    [​IMG]

rayzer007 and PattonWasRight like this.
  13. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Just shot mine at 100 yards this weekend. Full size torso, aimed at the neck and hit the lower torso

Love shooting mine, close to 2k rounds now

I use the blue loctite on the screw. Mine came loose and the free play damaged the slide lock. SW fixed and the new screw has red whatever on it now

Will be keeping this one. Need a way to keep me from activating the safety thou, any thoughts?

BTW, I got the Tanderflum (sp) g followers that add one round. Work perfectly. Gives you 12 round total capacity, so be aware may go on the assault weapons list!

I also think this gun is a perfect first time gun for teaching new shooters. For that purpose I'm all for the magazine safety / disconnect

B C likes this.
  14. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

The S&W Victory and Browning Buckmark are wonderful pistols.

15. ScottMn

ScottMn

I own an SR22 and a Victory. The Victory is less ammo sensitive and more accurate but it should be more accurtate since it has a Burris Fastfire on it. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but I know it was quite a bit less than the Mark III's I was looking at and it came with an extra mag and rail. I replaced the polymer rail with a Tandemkross but that's it for mods. I wish that the threaded version had been out when I bought it but thats the only regret. Victory.jpg

rayzer007 likes this.
  16. arndog123

arndog123

Tandemkross makes a safety kit,
    https://www.tandemkross.com/Cornerstone-Safety-Thumb-Ledge-for-SW22®-Victory™_p_500.html

B C and PattonWasRight like this.
  17. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

B C likes this.
  18. MajorD

MajorD

I would reasonably expect a typical .22 auto pistol to have no more than 3 malfunctions per 500 rounds and most a lot less.
    I don’t like the appearance or weight of the victory preferring my plinker grade pistols a lot lighter.
    I look at aftermarket support as irrelevant or even a negative - most people that come on forums to discuss function issues admit to use of aftermarket parts.
    As far as the best non 41 .22 smith made- I actually really
    Like my 422. Incredibly reliable ( one malfunction per every 5-6 thousand rounds fired when sticking to cci ammo)
    (The only way I shoot federal Remington or Winchester.22 ammo is if I get it fore free- compared to cci quality control is atrocious)
    I also detest stainless steel finished guns.
    And since smith can’t figure out that some of us may actually want some
    Of the newest guns they produce in a blue finish, it has been a very long time since I bought anything new from S&W ( probably 10 years at least)
    I admit to being totally biased but feel old classics like the Colt woodsman series were much better built and have stood the test of time and also are just so classy looking nothing on the current market compares.

19. porschedog

porschedog

I’ve got the PC version. It had ejector issues right out of the box but some judicious tweaking soon had it running great.

B C likes this.
  20. B C

B C

Any pics? I would love to see it!