Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Sig P6 surplus gun adequate for a primary CCW/HD weapon? It appears that most gun owners want the higher capacity handguns for the HD purposes.

·
Omnomnom
2,851 Posts
Why wouldn't it be? I carry a 1911 with 8 rounds plus one in the chamber. I have a pocket gun with seven rounds. I have a revolver with five rounds. The P6s were police issue. Obviously they found them adequate.

If a gun goes boom when you pull the trigger, it is adequate.

·
Florida Cracker
1,948 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't. They are supposed to be great guns.

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
Having more ammo is never a bad thing, unless you are swimming or on fire.

That said, the P6/P225 is my favorite Sig, it just fits my hand better than the others. I would have no problem carrying one for self defense.

·
Old Coot
1,261 Posts
It's my everyday carry. No complaints, no worries, and great accuracy.

For HOME defense, if I suspect folks on the property I grab my XD and two spare mags...but for CCW, the P6 has treated me very well indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts

For HOME defense, if I suspect folks on the property I grab my XD and two spare mags...but for CCW, the P6 has treated me very well indeed.
Most of us use a long gun for home defense if we can help it. I keep my carry gun near the bed, but it only serves to protect me the 5 feet it takes me to get to the safe.

But, the Sig P6 is a great gun at a great price. Considering gun stores around here are charging $850+ for a new sig, they're really a steal.

·
Old Coot
1,261 Posts
Most of us use a long gun for home defense if we can help it. I keep my carry gun near the bed, but it only serves to protect me the 5 feet it takes me to get to the safe.

But, the Sig P6 is a great gun at a great price. Considering gun stores around here are charging $850+ for a new sig, they're really a steal.

I keep forgetting that not everybody has been involved in every thread...

several recent shoulder injuries have left me unable to assume anything approaching a safe long-gun stance and hold it for longer than about two seconds.

I'd love to clear my outbuildings and property with a semi-auto 12-guage...but ya do what yer able to do.

·
12,970 Posts
Prior to (and even after) the introduction of the Browning Hi-Power most 9mm's in the world were 8 shot guns.

Even today some European cops carry single stack 9's (mostly females they fit their hands better). I've seen some Italian railroad cops carrying Beretta 92 Type M's (8 shot model).

As long as you have a pair of reloads you should be just fine. The Sig P239 (the replacement for the 225/P6) still sells well.

·
I like Macs
7,683 Posts
It was good enough for the West German police... should be good enough for any of us.

It is a little big for me to use as a carry gun, but I would trust it no doubt.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Being that it is about the size of a G17/22, do you ever have any issues carrying it?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Wow, are they really that big? I always imagined they were the size of a 19, maybe a bit smaller. That's what I get for never handling one :tongueout:
When you see them you would think they are pretty small, but they are just about the same in every dimension with the G17/22

ETA just looked, the glock is a tad longer, but height and width are about the same.

·
Old Coot
1,261 Posts
Being that it is about the size of a G17/22, do you ever have any issues carrying it?

No, it really isn't that big. It's more the size (length and height) of a G19, but it's a single-stack, so it isn't as wide. My XD was a problem for CCW...the SIG isn't. It rides at 4 o'clock in a pancake holster very comfortably, and hides under the shirt-tail of my lightest shirt.

I have one caveat; the SIG magazines are flat-plate bottomed, and reloading in a hurry it's easy to miss catching...the mag can fall back out at the first shot. ProMag makes a magazine with a butt-pad/finger rest that easily compensates for this, so my stock mag is the pimary (already in) and the ProMag is my extra in case of the need for a reload on-the-go.

·
Old Coot
1,261 Posts
Here's my Smith .357, a G19, my XD9 and my Sig. You can see, the side-view shows all three SAs to be roughly the same size. The Glock (and the XD) won't fit in the pancake that holds the Sig...they're too thick. I've seen published numbers that say they're the same, but the Sig really is slimmer.

·
Banned
21,402 Posts
The chances of any of us having to draw a weapon for self defense are small. Smaller still that we would have to fire a gun in self-defense. And smaller yet that we would need more than 9 rounds. Most such situations are over in 2 to 3 shots.

·
Old Coot
1,261 Posts
The chances of any of us having to draw a weapon for self defense are small. Smaller still that we would have to fire a gun in self-defense. And smaller yet that we would need more than 9 rounds. Most such situations are over in 2 to 3 shots.
+1

According to my CCW instructor, the average gunfight is over inside 2 seconds.

Even so...I carry an extra mag. There's another word for depending on 'the chances'...it's called gambling.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
No, it really isn't that big. It's more the size (length and height) of a G19, but it's a single-stack, so it isn't as wide.
Ehh I dunno.

ETA the pics below are with the P6 and Glock 22

They are pretty similar both height and width

The Glock is longer, being as long as the Sig when the hammer is cocked.

I think the sig does have the edge in concealability because it doesn't have a damn hump on the grip.

·
Cold War Sailor
571 Posts
American Police officers carried 6 shot revolvers in 38 special for almost half a century (some still do!)
Germans carried lugers and P-38s in times of war.
With a decent hollowpoint, you will be well served with that P6. I would have no qualms carrying that gun.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts