Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I’ve been researching a new carry pistol and one that I have in my list to research more is the P365 and the P365XL.

Right now I carry the Walther PPK/s and want to move to the 9mm. Some if the time I will simply drop the pistol in a front or back pocket. I don’t use this method for extended periods, just short term stuff like when I walk the dog, run to get a Coke at a convenience store at 1 am and stuff like that. I don’t use a pocket holster.

How would the 365XL work with this type of pocket carry? Is it too big or long to carry it like this?

What do you think?
Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the slide is too long for normal pockets. Then again, one guy I know pocket carried an S&W N Frame in his overalls. Ten inch pockets allow that.

Never put a gun into a pocket without some sort of inflexible pocket holster. One poor guy was using a product like Thunderwear and kept his Kahr there. He squatted too hard and the material of the holster pressed the trigger. He was severely wounded. As for front pockets, people have absentmindedly dropped in keys with the gun and the gun discharged.

Never, ever be casual with carrying a gun. Use a FIST holster or Remora.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
IMO, no, the regular 365 is a much better option.

I don't have an XL, but I do have a regular P365. It's the NRA edition that came with a flush 10 round mag, a 10 round mag with a pinky extenstion, and an extended 12 round mag (which basically makes it like the XL).

The regular P365 fits nicely in a pocket, I wouldn't want to try with and XL unless I was wearing large pocketed cargo pants.

So I will agree with Cowboy, the regular P365 is a much better option for you.

Reactions: 45caldan

·
Supreme Member
3,869 Posts
I easily pocket carry my P365 with the flush 10rd mag. I can pocket carry it with the 12rd mag, but don't because it prints pretty bad. I personally wouldn't even consider the XL as a pocket pistol. But YMMV depending on the size of your pockets.

I don’t use a pocket holster.
You might want to rethink that. Pocket carrying a striker-fired pistol without a holster is a mishap waiting to happen. Plenty of pocket holsters available for the P365, there's no reason not to have one.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,135 Posts
As others have stated, the P365 would of course carry easier in the pocket and many people do exactly that. The XL would simply depend on your build and depth of the pockets in the pants/shorts your wearing.

As others have stated, carrying a pistol without a holster that covers the trigger guard is not the wisest option. Especially a striker-fired pistol. They do have MS options available that would add a level of safety but I still would advise a proper holster regardless.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I won't be much help because I don't really feel a PPK is a pocket gun (for me). As noted, for pocket carry I would use a holster, and it might be worth considering the manual safety.

As for the size, the XL is a bit larger than your PPK/s (all below images from Handgunhero!):

The regular (non-XL) 365 is a much closer comparison:

Reactions: Out West

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
for me, the P365 with a flush fit mag works for pocket carry. But for me, it's about as large as I would want to go. Perhaps with smaller hands and larger pockets, you can get the XL to work.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Depends on how big an individual is.
My buddy Dan is 6’6” 305. He could pocket carry a G17.
Me, I pocket carry a 911 in .380. Even the G42 is tight for me to pocket carry. Forget a G43.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I can pocket carry me P365 XL just dandy. Front pocket to be more precise.

Then again, I usually wear dark gray or black double pleated Dockers (1950s/1980s style).

Problem is, when I traverse down the street, I look like Michelle Obama swinging me meat for all to witness.

A homemade pocket carry holster always ameliorates this overt visual distraction.

And the world, as a result, is a much better place for all.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the info and advice. I appreciate you taking the time to offer guidance.

I totally agree that a striker fired pistol shouldn’t be carried in a pocket without a trigger protection holster. The PPK/s is a DA/SA pistol with a safety. I carry it with the safety ON. One negative thing about my PPK/s is that the DA trigger pull is right at nearly a TON! Stiffest trigger pull ive ever felt on any handgun. I’d say I carry it 50-50 in my back pocket and in my stomach pocket on my zip up hoodie I wear quite a bit at night. Getting too hot for that now though.

Thanks again all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts