close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is the outrage over the meat additive "Pink Slime" unfair?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by zackwatt, Mar 30, 2012.

1. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

I read yet another article on this today....

It seems that the meat industry is being unfairly demonized over this product. It doesn't seem dangerous or threatening to someone's heath...unless it's 100% of their diet...haha.

With the economy the way it is, shutting down an industry and causing prices to climb over a remote "heath risk" seems careless.

2. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

The Pink slime scandal is a perfect example for why private markets are better than regulation.

Regulators knew about this pink slime stuff for years. How to they react, by buying more of it to put into school lunches.

The public finds out via a free press and in less than a week every major restaurant and supermarket chain in the country refuses to use the stuff any more. The market corrects itself.

Now on to your question. Is it unfair? Not at all. When I buy a beef patty I expect 100% beef. When the beef industry uses fancy terminology to try to disguise a cheap additive they are using they are being dishonest with customers IMO.

Ask the average american what is in a beef patty and I'd expect most would have expected that it is basically beef fat and various ground up "cuts." People aren't expecting a hot-dog like hodgepodge of odds and ends. Beef industry: just be honest in your labeling and pricing and let the educated consumer decide.

3. zackwatt

I can agree with that, but I think the uneducated consumer is being scared away from this product by the "free press". Just because it's lower grade, that doesn't make it dangerous.

4. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I don't think anybody EVER claimed it is dangerous. It is disgusting, and it has been purposefully hidden from the public. If the scandal had been "beef fat included in beef patties" nobody would have batted an eyelash.

5. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

From all I've read there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a means to maximize efficient use of meat sources. We've undoubtedly eaten it for years without dropping dead.

Whoever decided they didn't like it, picked the term "pink slime" for a reason...they obviously have it out for this type of meat source.

According to beef industry sources as I heard on the news this a.m., it would take an additional one million plus cattle to compensate for the volume lost by not using this source of meat and of course a corresponding increase in meat prices in general.

If the people waging war on "pink slime" want a real story to go after, try taking on the ingredients in a Slim Jim....:whistling:

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

To state the obvious, ...... nobody's stopping you from eating it - Right! On those days when you just can't make it over to McDonald's, go ahead and slime away! Want some nice 'n tasty trans-fat fries with that, Sir? In America everybody is perfectly free to kill themselves with their mouths anytime they want to. (Saves the government a bundle on Social Security and Medicare payments later on.) ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  7. zackwatt

People are afraid of the lower grade meat and the ammonium hydroxide used to eliminate the bacteria.

8. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

You see, that is just it. Everyone knows that hot dogs and slim jims contain all sorts of ground up garbage. People simply didn't know that the beef patties they buy from the local grocery do as well.

Personally, I've been going a local grocery store for years, picking a nice steak and having the butcher grind it up for me. Mostly because I like tartar.

Once again the issue is NOT the presence of "beef trimmings" but rather than stores were not showing the additive on the labels. Not to mention the fact that the useless turds at the USDA were complicit.

Just because a byproduct additive is safe doesn't mean it is socially acceptable. They could grind cow fur into the burgers and be 100% safe, but I would not want to eat that either.

9. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

This is from the Associated Press:

"The lower-cost ingredient is made from fatty bits of meat left over from other cuts. The bits are heated and spun to remove most of the fat. The lean mix then is compressed into blocks for use in ground meat. The product is exposed to ammonium hydroxide gas to kill bacteria, such as E. coli and salmonella." http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-of-4-plants/2012/03/26/gIQAGzFzcS_story.html
    :puking::puking::puking:

I'd quit eating meat before I put something like that in my body. There is simply too much good, wholsome, healthy, natural food out there to degrade yourself to eating this kind trash. If someone told me they were feeding that to pigs, I'd take exception. To my own body...

10. zackwatt

It's probably healthier then some of the fattier cuts on the cow...

11. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

It sounds like dog food!

I think one of the reasons (among many) why Americans have such a poor relationship with food (what is it, like 3/5 of Americans are medically obese?) is that its so cheap and we're totally disonnected from where it comes.

This is just not natural, man. Food shouldn't be about vast quantities of cheap product. Food should be delicious and good for you. You should be proud of what's in your meal and everything that went into making it, not ashamed.

EDIT: As for the meat I eat, American commercial meat production is so nasty (think dairy cows being turned to ground beef after their milking days are over), pretty much the only meat I will eat is that which I shot and killed myself.

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

The pictures of pink slime that are being used in the media - are not really pink slime treated beef.

They are a picture of a product called MDM chicken.

MDM stands for mechanically de-boned meat.

They basiclly take the chicken carcase that is left over after most of the meat is taken off and press them through a strainer using 20,000 PSI -

The bone comes out one tube - the "meat" comes out another.

Much of this MDM chicken is used in school lunch products -

It is perfectly safe - just gross to think about -

Some companies mix the MDM chicken in with "normal" chicken when they make chicken nuggets.

Its been a long time since I was involved with this process - my memory is not 100% - but when you see a statement on the label that says -

White meat chicken INCLUDING RIB MEAT ask yourself how they got the meat off the ribs of a chicken. I can't recall if the food company is required to indicate the rib meat was mechanically de-boned or not.

13. zackwatt

While I don't disagree, it's not economically viable.

14. jbsimm2

jbsimm2

my family all work in the meat business. guess what? it's not just in lower grade meat. anybody here buy the 7% fat ground beef from the store? well guess what the only way they can "gaurantee" that there is only 7% fat in that package. yup slime.

The only way to make sure you are not getting it is like a poster said above pick out your roast and have them grind it. (hopefully it was cut their in market and not brought in pre-packaged in cryovac. all bets are off otherwise) make sure you get their first thing though because if you wait, then the grinder is contaminated with all the other stuff they put through there.

I know for a fact that if you buy the market ground 20/80 beef (at least from Safeway) it is slime free. guess those that were cheaping out and getting the cheaper but higher fat content ground beef were making the smart choice after all.

15. ray9898

ray9898

I bet every person outraged over the pin slime has no problem eating a hotdog.

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Incirlik AB 73 - 75

If it's that great of a product, why isn't it sold as a stand alone item? A reporter asked the CEO of the one company that is still producing it (3 have closed) and he would not answer the question.

17. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I noted that when ABC first started talking about it weeks ago, it looked mostly like fat anyway. You need fat in hamburger to keep it together whist cooking, and for flavor.

I'll buy 93% lean beef for tacos or something where you flavor the meat.
    That lean alone in a hamburger makes for a tasteless burger.

I don't have to worry about pink slime as I get my meat from a Butcher/Meat market and they don't use it. That said I still wouldn't be afraid to eat a product with the slime. Has had been said. Knowing what's in other things like hotdogs kind of makes pink slime seem inconsequential.

18. woodasptim

woodasptim

After hearing about pink slime, I bought a grinder and started grinding my own. So far, it's cheaper and 10x's better. A ground up chuck roast makes excellent hamburgers on the grill.

19. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

No kidding!
    I'm in the food business. It's been around for years. Some wench gets her panties in a bunch and decides to coin a derogatory term and crusade "for the kids".
    Don't want it? Raise your own cow.

20. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

First World problems...

:upeyes: