close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is the Major sub catagory going to stick around?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by coyote 30, Aug 18, 2002.

1. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

My question is will GSSF drop the major sub catagory next year because of lack of enterents? They have already taken away a pistol as a prize for winning the catagory. I for one hope they do not take away the catagory. I like shooting in this catagory and hope they keep it. I would like to see other shooters shooting major sub so that maybe they would bring back the pistol prize but either way I hope they keep it.
    GSSF if your listening, keep the Major Sub catagory it's fun to shoot. Bruce

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I think they'll keep it just because there's no other place to shoot the 36. But then again everybody knows things do change!

3. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

That is kind of what I thought. I hope they bring back the gun prize, that may lure more shooters. Bruce

4. Guest

I SHOT MAJOR-SUB AT INDY. AND PLAN TO DO SO AT LEXINGTON THIS NOV. I LOVE MY G-36, WHICH IS ALSO MY CARRY GUN ! HOPE MORE PEOPLE WILL SHOOT MAJOR SUB.

5. Fireglock

I'm afraid that the gun won't come back until there is a substantial increase in entrants in Major Sub. I understand your desire, good luck.

6. Boom Vang

Boom Vang

A Catch-22. Sort of like opening a restaurant but announcing that there will be no waiters until there are more customers.

Right now Major-Sub a waste of money to compete in. There is usually only the 1st Prize of $75. No 2nd or 3rd Prizes, no gun, no classes. Who wants to throw away $25? There has to be some incentive for a less than top shooter to compete, thinking that maybe he can make 2nd or 3rd Place and win something.

My past 3 Major-Sub matches I came in 2nd each time, and won... nothing. Why bother?

7. Fireglock

Trouble is there weren't enough shooters last year to support the gun giveaway, at least that's the decision by GSSF. From the Glock Report:

As participation in the MajorSub category during the 2000-2001 GSSF season did not result in an average participation that justifies the continued award of a GLOCK firearm for 1st place, the sole award in the MajorSub category for the 2002-2003 season will be a cash, and not a firearm, award. There will be no awards for 2nd or 3rd place. This will continue until such time, if ever, that participation in the MajorSub category increases to the point where GSSF feels justified in restoring the set of firearm and cash awards awarded in the “Subcompact”, “Competition”, “StockMeister”, and “Unlimited/Master” Categories. First place finishes in the MajorSub category will not count towards establishment of “Master Class” status

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Last year pistols were awarded in Major-Sub, but the category averaged less than 10 entries per match. The category was created for G36's, but was opened to G29's and G30's because so few G36'ers compete. I think the category should be limited to G36 pistols, but that would cause a drop in the average number of entries even if a pistol were to be awarded.

9. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

I was going to enter the majorsub category this year until I found out there was only a cash prize. I don't think it is worth it either. I understand there isn't enough to justify a pistol but I think that only a $75 prize for first is keeping people away. At least up the prize money to a minimum of $100 and also give something for second and third. I think this would increase the number of competitors until eventually there are enough for a pistol again.

10. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

WOW! I thought everybody shot GSSF for the fun of it, for the get togethers with other Glocksters, etc. Now all of a sudden when a gun is taken out of the "mix", people don't think it is worth shooting that class.
    But others were suppose to accept being shortchanged on the possibility of winning a gun, and we were suppose to like it. Because we only do this for fun, right? ;)

Stick around guys, you will find that the GSSF staff will gladly "take care of you" if you stick around and shoot enough matches. They are a very thoughtful group. ;i

11. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Glock Dave;
    If there were only an average of 10 shooters in the Major Sub category when it first started and a gun was 1st prize then I doubt that raising the 1st prize money from $75 to $100 would make any difference.

12. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

I agree that this is a fun, friendly competition. I was only making a suggestion to try to boost the number of people who enter this class. Last year when it started, the model 36 hadn't been around too long and not many people entered. I just want it to have a chance since I think it is a good idea. I only said it wasn't worth it because a lot of people like myself enter multiple classes and the entry price starts to add up. That plus the cost of ammo, supplies, gas, etc. make a difference for people on a limited budget. The idea that you might win a Glock is what makes GSSF so appealing for a lot of people.

13. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If my memory is not too rusty, the first G36 category was at the Conyers 2000 match, available at all subsequent matches, and was open to G26/G27/G29/G30/G33 and G36 pistols, awarding a pistol and two cash prizes. In March 2001, the Major-Sub category was announced, limited to the G29/G30/G36 pistols, again awarding a pistol and two cash prizes. Participation was so poor in the 26 2001 matches that the pistol award was dropped in 2002, with that pistol now being used for the Matchmeister give-away. There just are not may people using a G36 in GSSF competition.

14. Don At PC

DannyR;
    Your memory sounds pretty well lubricated to me; that is just like I remember it. Lets face it the G36 may be a great little Glock but it just has not caught on for GSSF competition and I doubt the sales is anywhere near the expectations. Glock Dave: don't miss understand me; for I am not trying to flame you or anyone else but the G36 has had ample time to prove itself as a popular GSSF competition gun but has just not answered the call for whatever reason.

15. Boom Vang

Boom Vang

I agree... but go over to the BIG DAWG forum and you would think that every Glock owner has at least 2 G30s in his safe! They're legal in Major-Sub.....

Since this category is considered by GSSF to be turkey, why not open to EVERYONE, including the Masters? As it stands now, once you hit Master, there's not much to compete in. I for one am not into the tricked-out silliness of Unlimited, and use it as a warm-up for Stockmeister.

If the Masters can shoot Major-Sub, divide the group into 2 classes of 3 winners each - - no pistol, $100 1st Prize. More will participate.

16. Clem

Clem

I'm with Boom Vang. Open it up to all competitors. I'm for anything that will increase the classes that EVERYONE can shoot in. Maybe it will happen (holding breath . . . ).

17. Fireglock

Have you guys been paying attention to what's going on for Masters? I'd say you've got about as much chance of change in Major Sub as the proverbial snowball.

18. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I, I, no FG, I am not going to do it. I want to, but I am not going to.

19. Don At PC

Whewee!!!!!!!! That was a close one. ;f ;a ;a ;a ;c ;c ;c

20. Clem

Clem

C'mon, TJC, I've come to expect your posts. (One of the reasons I posted!). LET 'ER RIP!!!!! Tell us how you REALLY feel!! Tony